Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Mar 2012 (Sunday) 12:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D Mark II 16GB Card formats to 8GB-HELP

MichaelAnthonyPhotography
477 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 25, 2012 12:01 |  #1

Just got a new transcend 133x 16gb card for my 5D Mark II, as soon as the card is formatted in-camera, it becomes an 8gb card. I updated to the latest firmware, as I heard that can be part of the problem, and still no luck. Anyone had this problem?

Santa Clarita Wedding Photographers - Michael Anthony Photography (external link)
Los Angeles Photography Blog (external link)

sponsored links
daveyboi
652 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 25, 2012 12:27 |  #2

did you try formatting it with your computer or check via card reader to see if it is an actual 16gb.

5D Mark II // 17-40L SOLD:cry: // 24-70L // 70-200 F/2.8 IS II L SOLD:cry: // 50 f/1.8
Instagram: the_davebot
Welcoming myself back to photography

THREAD ­ STARTER
477 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 25, 2012 12:31 |  #3

I did, when I format in computer, it becomes 16gb. Card was purchased from Amazon in retail packaging

Santa Clarita Wedding Photographers - Michael Anthony Photography (external link)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,146 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 25, 2012 12:38 |  #4

MichaelAnthonyPhotogra​phy wrote in post #14150297 (external link)
I did, when I format in computer, it becomes 16gb. Card was purchased from Amazon in retail packaging

Try filling the card up with some large files in the computer. The card might be bad and that should cause it to fail outright. I had a flash drive do something similar once.

THREAD ­ STARTER
477 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 25, 2012 12:42 |  #5

I have read stories of the MK II having this problem in the early days, and it was fixed with a firmware update, anyone else have these issues?

When I put the card back into the camera after formatting in the computer, it reads as a 16gb, as soon as I format it, and it created the 5d100 file, it turns into an 8gb

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 25, 2012 12:43 |  #6

Have you upgraded to the latest firmware version?

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,766 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Mar 25, 2012 12:49 |  #7

MichaelAnthonyPhotogra​phy wrote in post #14150297 (external link)

Was that a "full" format in the computer, not a "quick" format?

THREAD ­ STARTER
477 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 25, 2012 12:51 |  #8

ben_r_ wrote in post #14150358 (external link)

Yes, just did it again

RDKirk wrote in post #14150380 (external link)
Was that a "full" format in the computer, not a "quick" format?

I used OSX Disk Utility, and clicked on the transcend 16gb memory card and hit the erase button.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,766 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Mar 25, 2012 14:01 |  #9

I used OSX Disk Utility, and clicked on the transcend 16gb memory card and hit the erase button.

You need something that will actually write to all the sectors in the card to see if it can write to the entire 16 gigs. A data-destroyer utility would also do that.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 25, 2012 20:12 as a reply to  @ RDKirk's post |  #10

MichaelAnthonyPhotogra​phy wrote in post #14150128 (external link)
Just got a new transcend 133x 16gb card for my 5D Mark II, as soon as the card is formatted in-camera, it becomes an 8gb card. I updated to the latest firmware, as I heard that can be part of the problem, and still no luck. Anyone had this problem?

Well . . .

ben_r_ wrote in post #14150358 (external link)

This. I've used up to 32 GB in my 5D2, with firmwares dating back to 2010. Can't tell you which versions I've used the big cards with, since I try to stay current, though. The first firmware update they offered was 1.0.7, I believe; current one is 2.1.2. I don't see any mention of a formatting issue in any of them though. I do know this was a problem with earlier firmwares for the 5D Classic, and other models from then and earlier.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

jrscls
Goldmember
2,976 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 25, 2012 21:37 |  #11

I would return it and get a Sandisk Extreme card instead. I use 32GB ones in my 5D II without any issues. A 16GB card shouldn't be any problem.

Fujifilm X-T2 with VPB-XT2, 16mm f/1.4, 23mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4, 56mm f/1.2, 80mm f/2.8 OIS Macro, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 OIS, 1.4x TC, Flashpoint R2 Strobes/Flashes

THREAD ­ STARTER
477 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 25, 2012 23:02 |  #12

Would it help to install older firmware updates sequentially? I have a feeling it is the camera, because it is the formatting in camera that causes the problem.

jrscls
Goldmember
2,976 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 26, 2012 05:58 |  #13

I would try another card, and not a Transcend one.

Fujifilm X-T2 with VPB-XT2, 16mm f/1.4, 23mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4, 56mm f/1.2, 80mm f/2.8 OIS Macro, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 OIS, 1.4x TC, Flashpoint R2 Strobes/Flashes

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 26, 2012 08:44 |  #14

MichaelAnthonyPhotogra​phy wrote in post #14153531 (external link)
Would it help to install older firmware updates sequentially? I have a feeling it is the camera, because it is the formatting in camera that causes the problem.

Nope. The latest firmware is cumulative, and includes all the earlier patches and additions.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 26, 2012 11:43 |  #15

Yea I can vouch for what Jon said too, Ive been using 16GB Sandisk Extreme cards since I got my 5D2 end of 2010 I believe, and now Im using 32GB Sandisk Extreme UDMA cards without a problem.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sponsored links

9,240 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D Mark II 16GB Card formats to 8GB-HELP
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.