Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Mar 2012 (Sunday) 18:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 60D Filters

viperbass
89 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 25, 2012 18:11 |  #1

About to order a new Canon 60D with the kit 18-135 67mm kit lens.

I enjoy landscape photography.

I was planning to purchase a B+W Polarizing filter. Also is a UV filter needed?

I thought I read that UV filters were more for film camera's (I have them on my Elan II 58mm lenses). What is a good filter for general protection -UV or somethig else?

Thank you for your comments.

T2i4me
Goldmember
2,905 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 25, 2012 18:39 |  #2

UV is helpful in rare situations of flying sand, dust or saltwater, use a lens hood for protection of the front element. CPL is nice to have for certain situations though.

All ths can be researched here:

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1024244

Also run a search on UV filters as this question is asked nearly daily, in the end it's up to you once you understand the pros & cons.

-- Eric --
5DC - T2i - 100-400 L IS - 70-200 F4 L - 17-40 L - EF 85 1.8 - EF-S 10-22 - EF-S 15-85 IS - EF-S 60 macro - 430EX II

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 25, 2012 18:57 |  #3

UV filters are ok to protect the front element if you some please with flying sand of other abrasive material. Aside from that fairly useless with digital cameras

A good CPL filter is a must for anyone looking to do landscape. B+W makes great filters I'd suggest on of their MRC cpl filters.

If you plan on shooing long exposures of water (like waterfalls) then I'd also suggest neutral density filters

theatrus
132 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 25, 2012 19:47 |  #4

A good CPL is nice, just be very cautious when used on wide angle lenses. It might add undesired gradient look to the sky.

I also found a 3/6/10 stop (B+w #110 for the last one) is a great tool. Long exposures during the daytime can be quite nice, beyond the usual use for moving water.

5Dc, 5D III, 24-70L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/4L, 100 macro, 135L, 50 1.4 | NEC LCD3090

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,168 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 60D Filters
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.