Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Mar 2012 (Sunday) 22:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bought 20 Eneloop AAs + charger: do I need a better charger?

Sunthing ­ Productions
71 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 25, 2012 22:58 |  #1

I recently bought 20 Eneloop AAs and the Sanyo charger from Amazon. My question is fairly simple: do I need a better charger, like the La Crosse BC-700? The batteries will be used w/ a pair of 430EX IIs, a flashlight and a few other small items. I'm not sure if a smart charger would benefit me compared to the Sanyo.

IMAGE: http://www.cpfreviews.com/Batteries-Sanyo-Eneloop-Green-Online/IMG_2173_Sanyo-Eneloop-Power-Pack_Charger.jpg

Feedback

sponsored links
J0eybb
154 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 25, 2012 23:06 |  #2

I use a La Crosse. I would thing the Sanyo,"is good enough"

Here is thread on AA Chargers. https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1136948 It may prove to be helpful

T3i Kit | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | n00b

theatrus
132 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 25, 2012 23:07 |  #3

The Sanyo charges just fine, but it is a slow charger.

5Dc, 5D III, 24-70L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/4L, 100 macro, 135L, 50 1.4 | NEC LCD3090

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 25, 2012 23:16 |  #4

theatrus wrote in post #14153566 (external link)
The Sanyo charges just fine, but it is a slow charger.

Yeah it's a little slow. I got a Powerex MAHA which juices pretty quickly.

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 26, 2012 01:02 |  #5

I say absolutely! Thats not a smart charger with any smart features at all. I highly recommend the Maha C-9000. Get it from Amazon.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 26, 2012 01:10 |  #6

the sanyo battery charger charges in pairs so that could be a significant issue if you are charging a depleted battery and a battery that is half empty. The sanyo charger recognizes which battery charges first then stops charging.

an smaller less known battery charger that I have found of late is the titanium bay charger

http://www.ebay.com …m53ec242cb4#ht_​3898wt_732 (external link)

@ $12.00 shipped, this is a great deal.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=4LYPKMMquTM (external link)

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

Sunthing ­ Productions
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 30, 2012 19:19 |  #7

Thanks for the replies all. I think I'm going to go with either the BC-700 or Maha.

Feedback

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Mar 30, 2012 19:36 |  #8

Sunthing Productions wrote in post #14183297 (external link)
Thanks for the replies all. I think I'm going to go with either the BC-700 or Maha.

In my opinion (with an extensive electronics background), you'd be better off using the Sanyo charger because going to a rapid charger will run the risk of degrading the batteries much sooner.

Simply do what I did. I have four of the Sanyo chargers so I can charge more batteries at the same time.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 30, 2012 20:45 |  #9

If you go and buy a smart charger, you can get real crazy and start matching the batteries.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,865 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 31, 2012 10:12 |  #10

SkipD wrote in post #14183367 (external link)
In my opinion (with an extensive electronics background), you'd be better off using the Sanyo charger because going to a rapid charger will run the risk of degrading the batteries much sooner.

If a temperature monitor is used NiMH batteries can be charged at rates up to 1C (in other words 100% of the battery capacity in amp-hours for 1.5 hours). At the 1C rate charging is completed 1.5 hrs.

Otherwise C/3.3 charge rate results in full charge in 5 hrs.

The least sophisticated way to safely charge a nickel metal hydride battery is to charge at C/10 rate or below (10% of the rated capacity per hour). So a 2000 mAH battery would be charged at 20 mA for 10 hours.

So when the charger allows a selection of Charge Rate, like 200 or 500 or 700 MA/hr, here is the relative safety...

• there is risk at the 700 rate unless there is a temperature sensor (2000 MAh / 500MA/hr = 4 hr).
  • At the C/3.3 rate (5 hr.) it is safe if there is a voltage sensor circuit to detect voltage depression; this signal can terminate the charge if the battery under charge is only partially discharged. Measuring -dV/dt is the easiest because it doesn't require a temperature sensor; the best method for NiMH is the dT/dt method but temperature has to be sensed.
  • The C/10 rate does not require an end-of-charge sensor and ensures a full charge with safety.

There are two advantages to a 'smart' charger even if it has marginal sensing for the higher rates...
  • Being able condition the battery by discharging it to a certain level before going into charge mode
  • Being able to charge one cell independently of another cell, so that cells do not have to be charged as a pair, where the more fully charged cell can prematurely stop the charging of the other one, when the first cell reaches full charge and triggers the sensor before the second cell is fully charged

The BC-700 does have temperature sensor in it. The 700 mA rate charges an AA battery in approximately 3.5 hours. It treats cells independently and can even be put in a different mode (charge; discharge; refresh; test) for each one. It can sense defective batteries, and it will not try to charge them

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 31, 2012 14:20 |  #11

I use a La Crosse. It allows me to choose lower charge rates which helps with battery life. Also lets me discharge and refresh and other things.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

sponsored links

3,385 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bought 20 Eneloop AAs + charger: do I need a better charger?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.