Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Mar 2012 (Monday) 00:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D mark III weather sealing and cold weather use

Aramalas
87 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 26, 2012 23:58 |  #16

I've used my 60D in a light rainshower and haven't had any issues, but I attribute this to dumb luck. However, I do carry a raincover at all times to be safe.

I pinch.

sponsored links
Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
1,958 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 27, 2012 06:22 |  #17

5D is not a pro series with regard to weather sealing and durability. however, anyone is allowed to use it, even pros.

A9 | A7R3 | 25 | 55 | 85 | 90 | 135

tivoboy
170 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 27, 2012 10:40 as a reply to  @ Higgs Boson's post |  #18

shouldn't the weather sealing on the 5D MK III be the same as the 7d?

pbisfun
231 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 29, 2012 16:47 |  #19

I would look at building a plexiglass box to mount it in. if you get caught out in a hail storm one big size pice of Hail could take out the camera or the lens.

the light is seen by all but not understood by all
http://photoSentimenta​l.com (external link)

Jcr918
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 30, 2012 13:48 |  #20

pbisfun wrote in post #14176864 (external link)
I would look at building a plexiglass box to mount it in. if you get caught out in a hail storm one big size pice of Hail could take out the camera or the lens.

I think I will take the hail hit before I let my camera take the hit bw! Most of the time I will be shooting out of the car window , Some times I will be on foot just depends on the lighting

Canon 5D Mark III :) & Canon T3i/24-70mm 2.8/70-200mm IS 2.8 Mark II /2 600ex RT /2 430ex II/

chomish
Goldmember
1,917 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 31, 2012 01:05 |  #21

If you are going to be doing storm chasing i would outfit it with a good rain cover.

For severely cold weather, i would outfit it with the new Canon goose down camera cover. That cover is tested to -29. Below that i would not risk it.:D

:) 5D-2 Mark ii :) 16-35 2.8L | 24-70 2.8L | 85 1.2 IIL | 70-200 f4 ISL | 70-200 2.8 IS IIL | 24-70 2.8L |MP-E 65 | 580EX, 430EX, MT24-EX | :p :p :p

Jcr918
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 31, 2012 02:39 |  #22

chomish wrote in post #14184691 (external link)
If you are going to be doing storm chasing i would outfit it with a good rain cover.

For severely cold weather, i would outfit it with the new Canon goose down camera cover. That cover is tested to -29. Below that i would not risk it.:D

I ordered this cover this week. Seems good just waiting for the eye piece

http://www.thinktankph​oto.com …sh-70-200-rain-cover.aspx (external link)

Canon 5D Mark III :) & Canon T3i/24-70mm 2.8/70-200mm IS 2.8 Mark II /2 600ex RT /2 430ex II/

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 31, 2012 08:33 |  #23

Here's a post I made about it's sealing: https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1167418
it's more about cold than rain, but you get the point.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 31, 2012 08:42 |  #24
bannedPermanent ban

Jcr918 wrote in post #14153902 (external link)
What about proper care for cold & snow weather ? I have seen photos of people using the 5D mark II in Alaska without any issues

Cold and snow are not an issue on the camera. Your battery life will be shortened and you have to take care with condensation when bringing the camera indoors...but if it is cold, the snow just brushes off the camera without even melting.

PatrickPhoto8
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 28, 2012 17:29 |  #25

Ugh, look, I know this is an old thread, but dammit- for anyone new to photography and reading this BS about a 5D M3 having less than astounding weather proofing, if you are now worrying that your new $3500 camera doesn't handle well in nasty weather situations, or lacks durability, I promise you that the people who complain about 'lack of weather sealing' on the 5D M3, are likely neither pros nor ever have been in extreme conditions while shooting.

They will say they are, and that they have, but there is no way. I can't even say they had a "bad experience", there is just no goddamn way that they can complain about a 5D not working in 99% of situations as long as they used common sense. Just saying.

I have shot the 5D M2, the 5D M3, 1D II, and 1D IV without care for durability, rain, sand, snow... never had a problem.

Off the top of my head, I have seen 5D Mark II's (yes, the 2) dropped onto pavement, sand, and puddles. I have dropped one of the 5D 2's in pure soft mud/manure on a farm.. looked gross but worked fine. I have seen a 5D M2 used instinctively to protect the photographer from a billy club coming down on him during a police batoning at the protests for the NATO summit in Chicago. I have taken the 5D M3 out in the northwest US rainforest numerous times, gotten it soaked every time in high humidity this summer too, and never once had an issue. I have personally used a 5D M2 in Chicago snowstorms- with no protection- till' it was sloppy wet and cold, dozens of times, never an issue. I have seen the 5D M2 perform though all of this crap, no problem.

Hell, I've seen the 7D get run over by a car, under the rear tire. I have seen a 7D hit with a baseball on the body too, and seen them used in snowstorms... those cameras never had an issue either.

And believe it or not, I've also used a %$#@ Canon T1i on windy beaches, and in light rain, and even twice during a Chicago snowstorm, no protection ever for it- things doesn't even have "weather sealing"- never a issue.

Now I'm not advising you do this stuff with your investments, but I can vouch for the quality of Canon in making tough as nails cameras, outside of the 1D (which is as tough as a nuclear bunker). Seriously, none of the people acting like you have to treat a 5D M3 (or M2) like a baby, have never worked among professional photojournalists (and if they have, they worked among softest variety or something) I have had the honor to be around guys who shoot for newspapers and AP, and believe me, the ones that go out to hardcore situations put the damn cameras through the test, and they don't always use a 1D body.

The 1D series is astounding, no questions asked. But they are astounding for far, far more than the weather sealing. The 5D M3 is made to be in more situations than your average pro will ever, ever find themselves in. I've never had to be somewhere it wouldn't work or I had to worry about it.

And last thing- anyone saying a 5D M3 is "not a pro camera" is a foolish photographer or a ameture/hobbiest sadly quoting marketing crap that they read. I don't care what canon calls it, you see plenty of absolute bonafide pros using the 5D series in every single form of photography. The internet seems to now be full of "tech heads" who care about bizarre minute details on astoundingly good cameras, and seem to forget that until a camera is made with a "don't suck at photography" button, the most professional thing a photographer has, is what occupies the space behind the viewfinder.

And for any of you who doubt me that most photographers likely don't ever need the 1D's weather sealing, the young men at digitalrev prove to you that even the far,far less expensive 7D can take a bigger beating from the elements than any sane person would give it. (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 04, 2012 07:19 |  #26

PatrickPhoto8 wrote in post #15301576 (external link)
And last thing- anyone saying a 5D M3 is "not a pro camera" is a foolish photographer or a ameture/hobbiest sadly quoting marketing crap that they read. I don't care what canon calls it, you see plenty of absolute bonafide pros using the 5D series in every single form of photography.[/URL]

But you are completely wrong here.

Canon makes the bodies, they are the ones who get to label them "pro" or "consumer" or even "fluffy bunny" if they so wish. Sure you can label them unofficially if you want, but saying the 5DIII is a "pro" camera because there are "real pros" using it is pointless, since there are also countless other "real pros" using xxD bodies and even rebel bodies to make their money with (thereby making them "pro").

Plus, if everyone starts using their own definitions for what constitutes a "pro" camera, there's just going to be a lot of confusion and therefore it makes more sense to just stick with Canon's own labeling scheme.

And regarding the weather sealing, there are enough reports of weather sealed cameras being killed by rain or a spill to warrant being careful with them. Until there is a proper scientific test conducted on weather sealing, the amount of abuse a camera can take will never be certain.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 04, 2012 07:35 |  #27

Canon doesn't guarantee any of their weather-sealing/resistance, from what I understand so correct me if I'm wrong.

So all the rain/snow/cold/dust/sa​nd environments everyone shoots in are "do it at your own risk". It's nice some resistance is built in, but I wouldn't take it as "Proof".

_
My Gear is ---> Here

Brasher
113 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 04, 2012 07:39 as a reply to  @ Sirrith's post |  #28

Ugh, some people are so susceptible to marketing.

There is absolutely no such thing as "Professional" camera. Any camera that can be used to make good photos and money is a "Professional" camera. The user is the professional. The camera is just a dumb tool.

If you need a little extra help focusing your images, pay the extra the money.

If you need the extra image quality to make you photos pop, pay the extra money.

If you need the vertical grip for long days of portraits, pay the extra money.

If your climate requires extra seals for dust and precipitation, pay the extra money.

However, if you're a professional trying to actually make money, don't buy more than you need. Why does a studio photographer need a weather sealed body? They don't. Therefore, they don't need to pay the extra money.

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 04, 2012 07:43 as a reply to  @ PatrickPhoto8's post |  #29

I've already used my 5D Mark III in snowy, rainy, and foggy conditions. It has had moisture in beads all over it on several occasions just from being in the fog. No problems whatsoever. If you really want to play it safe, though, just use a rain cover.

Photography by Erin Babnik (external link) | Newsletter (external link) | Photo Cascadia Team Member (external link) | Facebook (external link)

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 04, 2012 07:48 |  #30

st3mpy wrote in post #15324270 (external link)
Ugh, some people are so susceptible to marketing.

There is absolutely no such thing as "Professional" camera. Any camera that can be used to make good photos and money is a "Professional" camera. The user is the professional. The camera is just a dumb tool.

If you need a little extra help focusing your images, pay the extra the money.

If you need the extra image quality to make you photos pop, pay the extra money.

If you need the vertical grip for long days of portraits, pay the extra money.

If your climate requires extra seals for dust and precipitation, pay the extra money.

However, if you're a professional trying to actually make money, don't buy more than you need. Why does a studio photographer need a weather sealed body? They don't. Therefore, they don't need to pay the extra money.

Canon does an EXCELLENT job in telling professionals what they need! They are masters at it, hence very high profit margins quarter after quarter. Heck, they are down 50% in profits and still managed 900 million, so that's saying something.

Credit Canon for plucking additional dollars out of professionals pockets. Actually, there is no need for them to pluck when they have the below image ;).

Even knowing what Canon does (marketing wise), and consider my self marketing resistant, I still want all the L lenses in the lineup! lol

Cheers!!! lol

IMAGE: http://juuchini.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

_
My Gear is ---> Here

sponsored links

34,717 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D mark III weather sealing and cold weather use
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.