Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 26 Mar 2012 (Monday) 03:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help with party shooting !!

simpy
233 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 26, 2012 03:59 |  #1

:)

Hey everyone, I have a few parties to shoot in the next month or so, and Im just wondering whats the best way/settings to shoot. Its my first time so hopefully no one flames at me :oops:

I know its better if I go there and try, but some info before wouldnt be so bad :)

I have a 500d, 18-55mm, 50mm f/1.8 and my 75-300 would be of no use. 530exII flash

I am also thinking of borrowing a 17-40 L lens off my friend, would it make any difference?

Thanks everyone.

Canon 5dm2

sponsored links
celowbe
838 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 26, 2012 04:20 |  #2

L lens would make a difference but with your camera body it wont be wide enough from experience. The 18-55 will do you good with your flash depending on indoor or outdoor. is it inside or outdoor?

Gear list

simpy
THREAD ­ STARTER
233 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 26, 2012 04:26 |  #3

oh, i forgot to add. the parties will be indoor in an enclosed environment, would most likely have some lights and party lights.

im after a shot that will light up the people and the background will be dimmer. without lighting up the whole photo .

say for example like this photo (clubbing)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 400 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Canon 5dm2

kethnguy
196 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 26, 2012 04:28 |  #4

out of your gear list, i'd say 18-55 is your best bet with your 530ex ii flash.

have you thought about renting a lens just for the events?

Canon 50D Gripped || 24-105 F4 L || 430EX II

jgogums
729 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 26, 2012 04:39 |  #5

My "party" shooting experience is limited to wedding receptions so when everyone starts to cut loose I'm generally shooting wide on my full frame body (either 15mm fisheye, or 16-35).

I'm bouncing flash up into the tent or ceiling on ETTL and dragging the shutter (usually 1/40 to 1/15 of a second) @ f/2.8 to f/3.5 to bring in colorful ambient light that is often occurring at a party. ISO is whatever it takes to get some ambient lights to show up at the shutter speed and f stop I want. Usually I'm at 1600...sometimes higher.

I also set my flash to rear curtain or second curtain sync...whatever it is called. Important since you'll probably want the ambient light trails that are likely to occur (and add some interest) to be trailing the subjects as they dance it up. White balance I leave at auto as I shoot RAW and will tweak later.
Also I tend to stay in one-shot mode as opposed to AI Servo. I seem to get more keepers.
Keep in mind a bit of this type of shooting is often "overhead" or otherwise away from my eye on the viewfinder. Yep...pray and spray but I'm not filling up the cameras buffer....

If I am primarily grabbing shots of people posing for a moment then I will flip up my attached bounce card (Demb flip it) to toss a little light forward with the majority of light still being bounced off the ceiling. If I have to stop down my depth of field for a 3-6 person quickie group shot then I may increase ISO on my camera a stop or so to help the flash recycle time out.

Bottom line is if you want the ambient light to contribute something interesting in the background then you will need to have a pretty slow shutter. Set your flash to rear curtain sync to freeze your up close subjects.

Good luck and have fun!

simpy
THREAD ­ STARTER
233 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 26, 2012 04:43 |  #6

kethnguy wrote in post #14154272 (external link)
out of your gear list, i'd say 18-55 is your best bet with your 530ex ii flash.

have you thought about renting a lens just for the events?

yep, its about 40-50 au dollars for a day to rent a 24-70 and 17-40l

jgogums wrote in post #14154290 (external link)
My "party" shooting experience is limited to wedding receptions so when everyone starts to cut loose I'm generally shooting wide on my full frame body (either 15mm fisheye, or 16-35).

I'm bouncing flash up into the tent or ceiling on ETTL and dragging the shutter (usually 1/40 to 1/15 of a second) @ f/2.8 to f/3.5 to bring in colorful ambient light that is often occurring at a party. ISO is whatever it takes to get some ambient lights to show up at the shutter speed and f stop I want. Usually I'm at 1600...sometimes higher.

I also set my flash to rear curtain or second curtain sync...whatever it is called. Important since you'll probably want the ambient light trails that are likely to occur (and add some interest) to be trailing the subjects as they dance it up. White balance I leave at auto as I shoot RAW and will tweak later.
Also I tend to stay in one-shot mode as opposed to AI Servo. I seem to get more keepers.
Keep in mind a bit of this type of shooting is often "overhead" or otherwise away from my eye on the viewfinder. Yep...pray and spray but I'm not filling up the cameras buffer....

If I am primarily grabbing shots of people posing for a moment then I will flip up my attached bounce card (Demb flip it) to toss a little light forward with the majority of light still being bounced off the ceiling. If I have to stop down my depth of field for a 3-6 person quickie group shot then I may increase ISO on my camera a stop or so to help the flash recycle time out.

Bottom line is if you want the ambient light to contribute something interesting in the background then you will need to have a pretty slow shutter. Set your flash to rear curtain sync to freeze your up close subjects.

Good luck and have fun!

thanks alot for the great info,exactly what i was after, the only thing i dont want to be doing is to keep adjusting my settings during shots and making the people wait so i get a perfect one.

Canon 5dm2

jgogums
729 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 26, 2012 05:01 |  #7

Honestly I don't think your settings will change thaaaaat much. If your fastest wide angle lens is a f/4 then that will give you pretty good depth of field for those quick posed shots with a group of girls. If you have to, go to f/5.6 for more depth. If the ambient light looks too dark...open up the shutter a click or two.
You really won't be changing settings drastically...just fine tuning how much ambient you let in by controlling it with your shutter speed.
Pay attention to ghosting by zooming in on your LCD review. You can sometimes think you have a pretty sharp pic only to get home and realize your shutter speed was just a bit tooooo slow allowing the subjects to essentially being exposed twice (once by the existing ambient, and once by the flash) giving a ghosting/slightly blurred look. If that happens I'll kill a the ambient and go with a faster shutter speed.
Have fun with it!

PhotosGuy
75,853 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 26, 2012 08:21 |  #8

Tips for Xmas Ball Please

Night Club Photography Tips and Techniques

Some good posts using the on-camera flash are in here, too:
Question on indoor photography

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

sponsored links

996 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help with party shooting !!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.