Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Mar 2012 (Monday) 12:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Power Pack vs Homemade Vegabond Inverter Portable Power Source

firme
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 26, 2012 12:20 |  #1

Hello everyone just became a member of this forum... finally found a canon photography forum!

I currently own a Rebel XTI.... I know its old, canon 18-55mm, sigma 70-300mm, and speedotron brown line 1604. I am in the process of purchasing a portable power source for my lights. I have searched online regarding making my own power source (which I also found on the DIY PROJECT, hence the title was used. Also have seen online vegabond used a lot) vs purchasing a power source.

I came accross this Tronix Explorer Mini in my search and Tronix Explorer 1200. But where I am more stumped is if my speedotron brown line lights will work with the Tronix Explorer Mini or Tronix Explorer 1200 or are there others better than descent without causing some damage to power source or my lights. I saw the Mini for $350 plus shipping and $219 plus shipping for the 1200.

Can the homemade power source work also or will be at risk if used with the speedotron?

Which one is safer without risking injury to myself, model or surrounding?

Sorry if too many questions.... any advise, help appreciated. Thank you in advanced.

sponsored links
K.C.
319 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 26, 2012 22:37 |  #2

I just bought a Tronix Mini and have been using it to power a Profoto Acute2R 1200, Profoto D1 500 or Profoto Compact 300R. It does just fine with all of them. It will fire the Acute at it's full power with a recycle time of about 6 seconds. The Mini is more powerful than the Explorer 1200, which it replaces.

You can find the Mini compatibility chart here. (external link) They list a couple of Speedos including the 2403cx. So clearly it'll power your 1604.

kenyee
981 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 27, 2012 13:08 |  #3

firme wrote in post #14156252 (external link)
if my speedotron brown line lights will work with the Tronix Explorer Mini or Tronix Explorer 1200 or are there others better than descent without causing some damage to power source or my lights.

The Brownline is fairly unique in that it's one of the few packs/strobes that will work w/ a crappy square/stepped pseudo-sine wave power source (everything else needs pure sine wave). You can confirm this w/ Speedotron (they've told me this in the past, but it doesn't hurt to check).

That means the relatively inexpensive light crappy inverters should work fine provided they survive the initial power draw surge. The Tronix ones should do fine because they're pure sine wave...

Pentax K20D, 77Ltd, 43Ltd, Sigma 17-70, 60-250/4, crapload of Strobist gear (SB28's, RP JrX Studios, Einsteins, WL, Speedo BD, softboxes, grids, etc.)

K.C.
319 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 27, 2012 13:30 |  #4

kenyee wrote in post #14163112 (external link)
That means the relatively inexpensive light crappy inverters should work fine provided they survive the initial power draw surge.

Yes it's true. If you want to rely on a cheap Chinese made inverter that barely makes a waveform that your Speedo recognizes you can do that and see what happens.

It's a lot like buying a cheap tripod. After you've done that a couple of times you begin to understand why the good ones aren't cheap.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 27, 2012 15:25 |  #5

Thanks guys.. I understand you get what you pay for. Don't mind buying the real deal but just don't want to go overboard on price since I will not use this everyday but would like to have in handy to use from time to time.

I actually started to look online at inverters from menards but did not provide much details if it was pure sine wave. It was made from peak.

But I would rather spend on a battery pack once than spend double or more later. Appreciate the response.

alyson
227 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 14, 2012 03:12 as a reply to  @ firme's post |  #6

I am using the Explorer Mini for My BXRI 500 and Profoto Compact 300R and it works well. If you are to consider the price, its a good deal.

:cool: honesty is easy, fiction is where true genius lies :cool:

K.C.
319 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 14, 2012 21:49 |  #7

alyson wrote in post #14263373 (external link)
I am using the Explorer Mini for My BXRI 500 and Profoto Compact 300R and it works well. If you are to consider the price, its a good deal.

Have you had any problems with the radio working in the 300R when it's on the Mini ?

T.Hogan
309 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 14, 2012 22:11 |  #8

K.C. thanks for that link. I've been trying to remember the name of the company. Should have remembered it since I use Novatron.

7d gripped, canon 10-22. canon 50 1.4, canon 135L, Mamiya equipment.

sponsored links

2,413 views & 0 likes for this thread
Power Pack vs Homemade Vegabond Inverter Portable Power Source
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.