Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Mar 2012 (Monday) 14:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help out with custom functions on 5d2

weegee
486 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 26, 2012 14:30 |  #1

Got one shipping out to me next few days. Trying to do my homework and read the manual ahead of time. Lots of different settings over my 5dc.

I know I want to set up BBF with the *, so I did my homework and seems like that would be.

Cfn IV-1 option 2 and IV-2 enable.

A lot of the CFN II options are confusing to me. I shoot RAW and touch up when necessary in LR. Are these functions more for JPEG or will they affect the RAW file as well. For instance, high ISO NR, Highlight tone, and light optimizer. Will RAW override these and only be active when shooting JPEG? I guess it would be nice to have if I'm just shooting some throw away JPEGs I really don't want to mess with in post, but want to make sure when I go to RAW that I'm getting "disabled".

Any thing else you've found makes your life easier with the custom functions?

My Online Gallery: http://fotoluigi.zenfo​lio.com/ (external link)
Elan II, 5D3, 17-40L f/4, 24-105L f/4, 70-200L f/4, 85 f/1.8, 50 f/1.8

magwai
Goldmember
1,094 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 26, 2012 14:52 |  #2

Some people like to switch on the AF assist, which is a custom function. Personally I found overall it causes as many problems as it cures but you should try it and see what you think.

For tricky AF shots, have one of the C1-3 set as centre point only. C1-3 are really helpful btw.

weegee
THREAD ­ STARTER
486 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 26, 2012 15:05 |  #3

do you mean AF expansion? Or AF emit from a speedlight?

yeah, I tried AF expansion of 5dc and didn't get as good results with it off. I think if your focal plane is real narrow, you can't chance with the expanded. But maybe at an infinity setting, you have more room for error, so nicer to have the wider area.

Yes, I plan on using the c1-3. Nice going from 1 on 5dc to 3.

arentol
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 26, 2012 16:01 |  #4

weegee wrote in post #14157022 (external link)
I know I want to set up BBF with the *, so I did my homework and seems like that would be.

Cfn IV-1 option 2 and IV-2 enable.

I use Cfn IV-1 option 3 and IV-2 enable to do this. But either 2 or 3 works since the important part is the AF Start.

A lot of the CFN II options are confusing to me. I shoot RAW and touch up when necessary in LR. Are these functions more for JPEG or will they affect the RAW file as well. For instance, high ISO NR, Highlight tone, and light optimizer. Will RAW override these and only be active when shooting JPEG? I guess it would be nice to have if I'm just shooting some throw away JPEGs I really don't want to mess with in post, but want to make sure when I go to RAW that I'm getting "disabled".

I don't recall which of them only kick in on Jpegs, but I just went ahead and turned them off regardless since I only shoot RAW and I really don't want the camera messing with the image I am capturing.

Any thing else you've found makes your life easier with the custom functions?

Cfn I-5 I set to option 1. This makes bracketed shots go -, 0, + instead of 0, -, +. This just makes it far easier for me to figure out which shots are grouped together in Lightroom if I took multiple bracketed shots of the same subject.

I use 1 stop ISO on Cfn I-2 since the inbetween values are really just interpolated in the camera. I also like it because I like making ISO changes in broad strokes and then focus my tweaking on AV and SS. If I use 1/3rd on ISO then I just end up having to fiddle with 3 settings all the time instead of 2 most of the time, and the third rarely. Makes using the camera a lot less annoying.

The only thing I have changed from 0 in Cfn III is 7, which is set to Enable. Makes it a little easier when I try to capture a moving subject.

5D3 | Rokinon 14 f/2.8 | 16-35L II | TS-E 24L | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Voigtlander 40 f/2.0 | Σ 50 f/1.4 | MP-E 65 | 70-200 2.8L IS II | Σ 85 f/1.4 | Zeiss 100 f/2 | Σ 120-300 f/2.8 OS | 580 EX II | 430 EX II | Fuji X10 | OM-D E-M5 | http://www.mikehjphoto​.com/ (external link)
*****Lenses For Sale (external link)*****

weegee
THREAD ­ STARTER
486 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 26, 2012 18:24 |  #5

thanks, I saw that with the bracketing. It seemed weird in default mode. I wonder why they did it that way.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

815 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help out with custom functions on 5d2
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.