Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 28 Mar 2012 (Wednesday) 18:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is this a good desktop computer for the $$$ ?

mlech
305 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 28, 2012 18:24 |  #1

I could get this DELL 8300 series desktop for $750 at my door. I need this to handle Photoshop, Lightroom, HD video editing and rendering, and maybe a game or two.

I just gave back my laptop today and looking to get a desktop asap. I looked at what it would cost me to build one, and honestly the price difference is not that big.

•Powered by 3.4GHz Intel Core i7-2600 processor with 8MB cache
•Intel Turbo Boost automatically speeds up processor when you need more speed
•Massive 1.5TB, 7,200rpm Serial ATA hard drive
•12GB, 1,333MHz DDR3
•16x DVD+/-RW
•10/100/1000 network interface and built-in 802.11n Wi-Fi
•6 USB 2.0 ports (2 front, 2 top, 4 rear)
•19-in-1 media card reader
•ATI Radeon HD 5450 graphics with 1GB dedicated memory
•Includes Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit operating system
•Inputs/outputs: 6 USB 2.0 ports, HDMI/VGA, E-SATA, standard 7.1 audio jacks, digital SPDIF, microphone/headphone and 19-in-1 media card reader

FACEBOOK PAGE (external link)
FLICKR (external link)

sponsored links
MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Mar 28, 2012 19:23 |  #2

If you don't plan on keeping old project files after you make a BR or DVD, 1.5 will be fine. I work in TV and community film production and we go through drives like crazy. I would personally get a second 2TB internal and make sure both drives are 7200RPM drives. Or better yet, get SSD main drive and 2TB secondary :)

As far as price, have no clue. I haven't kept up lately.

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 28, 2012 19:50 |  #3

mlech wrote in post #14171177 (external link)
I just gave back my laptop today and looking to get a desktop asap. I looked at what it would cost me to build one, and honestly the price difference is not that big.

Building your own allows for greater flexibility and you don;t have to worry about invalidating the warranty because you added another drive or some additional ram. The plus side is that with pre-assembled machines all the parts are designed and tested to work optimally without conflict. But later down the road you will find it's hard to get driver updates from OEM's and part makers often wont support the components directly. I myself would rather spend a few dollars to get a higher quality card reader or faster ram for example then what Dell or whoever else might provide.

Poe
Goldmember
1,956 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 28, 2012 19:55 |  #4

isoMorphic wrote in post #14171632 (external link)
The plus side is that with pre-assembled machines all the parts are designed and tested to work optimally without conflict.

Serious?! What machines have you been using? I've never known this to be the case with any pre-built machine I've purchased. Especially after the 1 year warranty ends.

Nikon D750, D7200 | Nikon-Nikkor 14-24G, 60G Micro, 70-300E | SIGMA 35A, 105 OS, 24-105 OS | ZEISS Distagon 2.0/25 Classic, Apo-Distagon 1.4/55 Otus, Apo-Planar 1.4/85 Otus, Makro-Planar 2/100 Classic, Apo-Sonnar 2/135 Classic

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 28, 2012 20:29 |  #5

Poe wrote in post #14171673 (external link)
Serious?! What machines have you been using? I've never known this to be the case with any pre-built machine I've purchased. Especially after the 1 year warranty ends.

Well, in theory it's supposed to. Apple, for instance has the number one spot for reliability for more than 3yrs running while Gateway and HP have constantly been the worst of the big box OEMs. Building your own does not guarantee anything except getting the exact parts you want.

Silverfox1
Goldmember
3,195 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 28, 2012 22:47 as a reply to  @ MaxxuM's post |  #6

The Dell the OP listed really has an extremely weak cheap video card, not to mention unless they have changed Dell still has there parts manufactured with proprietary connectors that force the consumer to buy Dell replacement parts including the Ram.

http://www.hwcompare.c​om …560-ti-vs-radeon-hd-5450/ (external link)

I bought one retail built desktop over 14 yrs. ago and it was my last.

We all like to save money but if your into photo / video rendering & authoring with the more intense software apps its best not to scrimp.

Just built the below and all the parts was right at $1500 but Dell would charge you well over 2K for an equivalent rig:

Case: CM Storm Enforcer Midtower/ USB3.0
CPU : i7-2600K
Mobo: Intel DZ68BC Extreme
Ram : Corsair Vengeance pc1600/ 16gb
Video: EVGA Nvidia GTX 560ti
HDD: SSD 120GB Intel 520 series & 1.5 TB WD Caviar Black
Pwr.Supply: Rosewill Capstone 650watt Gold Rated 80+
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO

Fans: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 120mm rear exhaust
NZXT Sentry Mesh 5.25 Bay Fan controller

ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X DVD Burner

LG WH12LS30K 12X Bluray Burner/Player

AFT USB 3.0 Multi-Card reader 5.25 Bay

Regards & Good Luck whatever your decision, Ron ;)

Silverfox1 POTN Feedback / TC Extender Tests / Gear List

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 29, 2012 00:01 |  #7

It's usually that way out of the gate and yes after time passes conflicts arise, driver updates cease and all that goes out the window. I haven't owned a store bought computer in many years. My last store bought PC was an open box Packard Bell and they have not been sold in the US since then. I remember knowing nothing about internal workings of a PC back then and almost getting raped for a Packard Bell memory upgrade.

About the only brand name that appeals to me these days is Falcon. They have quietly become what Alienware used to be before it began selling overpriced Dell systems with fancy stickers.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,857 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 29, 2012 09:45 |  #8

I actually had pretty good luck with my last Dell - it lasted 7 1/2 years with XP Pro and now sits in the corner next to the new rig. I did have some problems, but in all fairness they were self-inflicted during "learning experiences" when I performed some upgrades.

As ISO pointed out, a key factor with ANY pc is to keep the drivers and related s/w current. I didn't always do this and this sometimes caused issued. You have to be somewhat vigilant and proactive on this after a while.

But about those "premanufactured" PC's like Dell and some others: they tend to jam a bunch of stuff into a not too large case, with little or no cable management, and poor air circulation. This is what I observed on my old machine. Maybe they have improved with current models - I honestly don't know.

By the time I added a few components to the already small case, things were running pretty hot and you could always hear the fan increasing it's RPM and laboring. I actually fried one of my hard drives this way. I had installed a third HD in the "available" drive cage (which had lousy ventilation and was too close to the others) and then started getting errors. Fortunately a backed off all that data before it finally quit. Suspicious that I had engineered something foolish, I got one of those HD temperature monitoring programs right at the end. HD's do NOT enjoy sustained temps of 150F; less learned, do not do as I did :o

My "put together" machine has a large mid-size case with cable management - they all thread under the "floor" looking tidy and not impreding air flow/ventilation - I have a nice brand name high efficiency, cooler running power supply, there is plenty of open space for expansion, and I have multiple quiet fans pulling and pushing fresh air through the case. Life is good :D

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board
Donate to POTN here

DiMAn0684
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 29, 2012 11:22 |  #9

Silverfox1 wrote in post #14172665 (external link)
Just built the below and all the parts was right at $1500 but Dell would charge you well over 2K for an equivalent rig:

Case: CM Storm Enforcer Midtower/ USB3.0
CPU : i7-2600K
Mobo: Intel DZ68BC Extreme
Ram : Corsair Vengeance pc1600/ 16gb
Video: EVGA Nvidia GTX 560ti
HDD: SSD 120GB Intel 520 series & 1.5 TB WD Caviar Black
Pwr.Supply: Rosewill Capstone 650watt Gold Rated 80+
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO

Fans: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 120mm rear exhaust
NZXT Sentry Mesh 5.25 Bay Fan controller

ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X DVD Burner

LG WH12LS30K 12X Bluray Burner/Player

AFT USB 3.0 Multi-Card reader 5.25 Bay

Really? $2k @ Dell? Wow...

Canon 5D MkII | Canon 16-35mm f/4 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | Canon 24-105mm f/4 | Tamron 70-300mm VC | Canon 430EX II | Benro A2682TB1

sponsored links

1,793 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is this a good desktop computer for the $$$ ?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.