Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Mar 2012 (Thursday) 22:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What I want in a top-end camera

Skaperen
232 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 29, 2012 22:39 |  #1

I was reading some unflattering reviews of the new 5D Mark III but noted one that mentioned that we shouldn't come to expect huge amounts of improvement because we need to wait for each increment in the technology. OK, I can go along with that for things like getting better low light response, lower noise, higher shutter rates, higher video rates, and so on.

But there are some features I don't think fit in that category because they are more programmatic:

1. Allow a wider range of automatic bracketing choices, letting you choose how many steps above and steps below, and what the setting increment will be. For example you could choose 0 to 9 below, 0 to 9 above (yeah, 19 shots would be excessive, but you never know when someone might actually need that), and choose the exposure steps at 1/3 or 2/3 or 3/3 or 4/3 ... all the way to 9/3 stop per step. And not only allow choosing the bracket in shutter speed or in f/stop ratio, but allow diagonal and 2 dimensional bracketing.

2. More video frame rates. For example even the 5D3 doesn't have 720p in 30fps. At least all standard frame rates should be available (and both the /1000 and the /1001 rates for all models). But I also want slower frame rates, too. How hard is slower? Frame rates of 20,15,12,10,6,5... ? Why not all of them by having a menu frame to program in any new frame rate number as long as it doesn't exceed the maximum capable speed (which can then get gradually larger with newer models).

I'm sure I and others can think of other programmable features that don't involve scientific advancement, other than maybe adding some more memory.

Another feature I'd like to see is a true black and white digital camera. Take the 5D3 and make a new model the 5DM(3). The sensor will have no Bayer filter, leaving each pixel to capture the full spectrum. That will be a boost to sensitivity and detail. Programming changes would be needed for the firmware so it doesn't have any Bayer processing and works with only the single color channel. For RAW, identify only a single channel. For JPEG, either output a monochrome JPEG variant or (because some software may not handle it) a color JPEG with faked color coding with differences forced to zero. Unfortunately, this one would require enough of a market to justify it.

7D, 450D, 18-135/3.5-5.6, 18-55/3.5-5.6, 60/2.8 macro
Wish List: 5DsR, 16-35/2.8L,100/2.8L macro, 135/2L, LC-E6E

Polarized
127 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 29, 2012 22:43 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

I want noise free high ISOs and high high megapixels.

Fricks
Cream of the Crop
23,034 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 29, 2012 22:44 |  #3

Polarized wrote in post #14178579 (external link)
I want noise free high ISOs and high high megapixels.

those two normally do not go together

Polarized
127 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 29, 2012 22:50 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

:( :(

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,627 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 29, 2012 22:54 |  #5

Skaperen wrote in post #14178564 (external link)

1. Allow a wider range of automatic bracketing choices, letting you choose how many steps above and steps below, and what the setting increment will be. For example you could choose 0 to 9 below, 0 to 9 above (yeah, 19 shots would be excessive, but you never know when someone might actually need that), and choose the exposure steps at 1/3 or 2/3 or 3/3 or 4/3 ... all the way to 9/3 stop per step. And not only allow choosing the bracket in shutter speed or in f/stop ratio, but allow diagonal and 2 dimensional bracketing.

(...from Canon Camera Museum.) This camera is a notch above the EOS 620 with faster AF speed. Like the EOS 620, the 630 QD has autobracketing up to ±5 stops (1/2-stop increments), maximum of 9 multiple exposures, 6-zone evaluative metering, and 6.5% partial metering at the center.

In the AI Servo AF mode, the maximum shooting speed is 2.5 fps. In the One-Shot AF mode, the maximum is 5 fps. The body came in black or metallic gray. The price was the same for both colors.

19 increments/9 exposures etc etc including PURE, FULL Black and White.

April 1989.

I still have the 630...

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

682 views & 0 likes for this thread
What I want in a top-end camera
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.