Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 29 Mar 2012 (Thursday) 22:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

750watt/1000watt inverter for my lights

firme
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 29, 2012 22:48 |  #1

As I don't have at the moment to buy a power pack for my speedotron 1604 brown line I have been looking online for an inverter and came across some inverters that are 750watts and one that is 1000watts made by Peak and Duralast. These come with connectors that plug into your car battery (they look like jumper cables). I did see that it does say modified sine wave. I know it seems real tacky to use this but for $80-$100 I can use for the moment.

As it is not "portable" because I would not be able to take with me unless I unplug the battery from the car. But wanted to see if any one has used something similar or has known someone who has used one or simply knows if it will work or not.

Thank you for your help.

sponsored links
john ­ stakes
424 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 29, 2012 23:49 |  #2

If you are trying to build your own setup, you will need a pure sine wave inverter. I'm not sure what's offered but just google some DIY kits they are out there.

Canon 50D, T2i, 70-200 2.8L, kit lenses
My real name is Curtis. John Stakes is my old DBA.
[URL]Blogger[URL="http://www.cnote​vp.blogspot.com"]

K.C.
319 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 30, 2012 00:23 |  #3

Isn't this the same question you asked here ?

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1165457

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 30, 2012 09:39 as a reply to  @ K.C.'s post |  #4

I apologize for that.

With these inverters I saw they have the cables attached, all you have to do is connect to the battery terminals as you would connect jumper cables to a car battery. So I don't need to purchase any additional cables. I tried contacting Speedotron to see what they say but no answer. I also saw other threads outside of here where modified sine waves worked with speedotron models. But they were from years back.

I did look up DIY on line which are not hard to find... but since I am not using the ones people actually used on their projects wanted to know if the ones I found will work with my speedotron.

Jofa
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 30, 2012 14:32 |  #5

If you buy an inverter, make sure that it's continuous power is enough AND that it's peak power output is WAY more than your flash needs. I've tried a 300W(contin., peak around 400-500w) and a 500w inverters connected to a car battery(car was running and at around 2500-3000 rpm, so the car charger voltage didn't drop, at least much, when charging the flash) with a 300ws (nameless brand) studio head and neither worked. I had modeling light(300w) turned off and flash at minimum output(for shorter charge time), but it took still way more power than either of those inverters could deliver.. I wish there was a cheap alternative but where I live, more powerful inverters are more than 400-500euros. :/

edit: I believe that most studio flashes have a quite high initial power(could be around 1-2kW for a little while, but still longer than what the "peak" power in inverters is meant for) because of how they are constructed. Might be that more expensive flashes have limited power intake and charge for a longer time but who knows..

Camera: 7D + Grip, Glass: Sigmas: 10-20mm f/3.5, 30mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, 150mm f/2.8 OS. + light.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 30, 2012 15:37 |  #6

don't remember what the peak watt power it had but on the 1000 i believe if I remember right that its peak watt power was between 1500-2000.

so if the inverter does not work lets say if i purchase it... will it fry the speedotron or will it simply just not work?

alyson
227 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 31, 2012 03:19 |  #7

firme wrote in post #14180412 (external link)
I tried contacting Speedotron to see what they say but no answer.

Maybe because they can't recommend the readily available battery packs in the market for their Speedotrons.

Because for their Photogenics, they recommend other 3rd party battery pack.
(Btw, Speedotron has a new owner, PromarkBrands)

:cool: honesty is easy, fiction is where true genius lies :cool:

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 02, 2012 09:00 |  #8

Alyson... yeah I was thinking the same. I guess as a business they want to be as careful what they recommend as they wouldn't want to be liable if something goes wrong. Also did not know they were owned by someone else.

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 02, 2012 12:32 |  #9

john stakes wrote in post #14178822 (external link)
If you are trying to build your own setup, you will need a pure sine wave inverter. I'm not sure what's offered but just google some DIY kits they are out there.

I've heard that the brown line speedos do not require a pure sine wave inverter.

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 02, 2012 13:40 |  #10

Yes... I have also read that on other forums.

I know DIY projects is at the person's own risk but just wanted to see if worst case scenario if the speedotron will actually malfunction in some way or will it just not simply work. But it seems that I will have to try the DIY. If I had the money I would have bought the Tronix Mini.

sponsored links

2,020 views & 0 likes for this thread
750watt/1000watt inverter for my lights
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.