Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Mar 2012 (Friday) 19:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5d mark iii Problem with Exposure

this thread is locked
N2bnfunn
713 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 30, 2012 19:09 |  #1

I just got my Canon 5d mark iii today and the problem I am having with is the pictures that I have taken so far with out the flash in out doors the exposure is way under (to light).
But when I have taken pictures using the flash indoors the pictures and great and prefect.

Anyone else having with problem? Any fix?

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

sponsored links
sempaidavid
890 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 30, 2012 19:11 |  #2

Mine are coming out great. Sorry.

5D mkIII, 1D mkIV, Tokina 16-28 f/2.8, EF 24-70L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, EF 100-400L, EF 85 f/1.8, Sigma 50 f/1.4, EF 24-105
http://www.davidcostap​hotography.com (external link)

SVTmaniac
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 30, 2012 19:12 |  #3

What mode are you shooting in? If AV or TV check to make sure the exposure comp isn't dialed down by accident.

EDIT: Wait you're saying it's underexposed but too light? That doesn't even make sense. If it was underexposed they would be too dark. Overexposed is too light.

-Chris
More gear than talent.

CrayonNinja
222 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 30, 2012 19:12 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Uhh, are you talking about a built in flash? I can't recall if the 5D III comes with one (and I don't see why it would), but if you are I highly doubt it's strong enough to overpower the sun. If you aren't then turn your flash, or ISO up..judging by your gear list I'm hoping you have some understanding on how to control exposure.

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 30, 2012 19:15 |  #5

N2bnfunn wrote in post #14183259 (external link)
I just got my Canon 5d mark iii today and the problem I am having with is the pictures that I have taken so far with out the flash in out doors the exposure is way under (to light).
But when I have taken pictures using the flash indoors the pictures and great and prefect.

Anyone else having with problem? Any fix?

Please post some samples with the EXIF data for each.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

N2bnfunn
THREAD ­ STARTER
713 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 30, 2012 19:17 |  #6

I am talking about the pictures being UNDER exposed and I am shooting in manual mode. I have a light meter but when I shoot out door all my pictures are coming out under exposed.

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 30, 2012 19:18 |  #7

I was curious, so I actually placed my 5D3 and 1D4 on a tripod and shot back to back AV mode pictures of a few things (I adjusted focal length to get the same FOV) to compare the meters.

They gave me the exact same exposure every time, and they both consistently underexposed everything a bit in my opinion (with EC = zero).

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

SVTmaniac
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 30, 2012 19:26 |  #8

N2bnfunn wrote in post #14183284 (external link)
I am talking about the pictures being UNDER exposed and I am shooting in manual mode. I have a light meter but when I shoot out door all my pictures are coming out under exposed.

So you're going off of an external light meter? What does the camera meter show?

-Chris
More gear than talent.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 30, 2012 19:31 |  #9

N2bnfunn wrote in post #14183284 (external link)

So to make this really clear, you are measuring the incident light with an exposure meter, and then when you use the suggested exposure from the meter the images appear underexposed in your opinion.

Several possible causes:
1) Your opinion of a correct exposure and the meter's opinion may be different. I think I tend to like stuff pretty hot.
2) Your monitor may be off and showing the image darker than it will print.
3) Your meter could be broken
4) Your camera could be broken.

My suggested starting point would be to post a few pictures shot with the suggested meter exposure so we can all decide if we think they are underexposed too. That will help us get past points 1) and 2).

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

N2bnfunn
THREAD ­ STARTER
713 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 30, 2012 19:55 as a reply to  @ JeffreyG's post |  #10

None of the above, the camera is not broken, the light meter is working, other people have reported the same problem.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 30, 2012 19:57 |  #11

N2bnfunn wrote in post #14183442 (external link)
None of the above, the camera is not broken, the light meter is working, other people have reported the same problem.

Is your flash in ETTL mode or Manual?

stayhumble
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 30, 2012 19:59 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

post a picture of your work that shows your skills. i think we can determine if its user error or equipment failure at that point.

There are no rules for a good photograph and there are no excuses for a bad one.
SELLING:40D, 50D, 10-22, Tamron 17-50 non VC, 5D, 14MM II, 24-105, 70-200 f/4 IS, 430EX, 530EX (ALL MINT W/Box)

AbPho
Goldmember
3,165 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 30, 2012 20:05 |  #13

stayhumble wrote in post #14183459 (external link)
post a picture of your work that shows your skills. i think we can determine if its user error or equipment failure at that point.

This. Without pictures it is very difficult to help.

I'm in Canada. Isn't that weird!

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 30, 2012 20:13 |  #14

i haven't seen other reports of this.

N2bnfunn
THREAD ­ STARTER
713 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 30, 2012 20:13 |  #15

Well like I said other people are having the same problem read this post: https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1164735
What they are saying is the exact same problem I am having in twilight or over cast

sponsored links

8,650 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 5d mark iii Problem with Exposure
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.