Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 01 Apr 2012 (Sunday) 10:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question on high noise photo

skycolt
410 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 01, 2012 10:32 |  #1

Hi All,

I own a DSLR for two years but only start to shoot a lot recently. Yesterday I point my camera to my pet rat in a dark room and get this very noisy picture. Is this because some of my setting is wrong or the camera defect?

My settings:
Canon rebel XS
70-200 f4l is
ISO 100
200mm
1/50s
f/8

pic:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Thanks in advance!
Wenzhe

1D IV | converted 1000D | ever changing lenses
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 01, 2012 13:09 |  #2

This looks like it has been pushed in post. This has been edited, no ? Any auto-corrections applied ?

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

AbPho
Goldmember
3,165 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 01, 2012 17:08 |  #3

Looks normal for an under exposed image that was brightened afterwards in post. Try using a higher ISO and opening up your aperture.

For example:
ISO800
f/4
1/50sec
will give you 5 extra stops of light.

What mode was the camera set to when you took the picture?

I'm in Canada. Isn't that weird!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 01, 2012 23:10 |  #4

Wenzhe, we are assuming that you have cranked up the exposure in software -- is that true? If so, then yes, the higher you crank it the more noise you get, even at a low ISO.

But if it's not true, let us know exactly how you worked with this!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

skycolt
THREAD ­ STARTER
410 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 01, 2012 23:44 |  #5

Thanks for all your replies. I didn't use software to change the expose. I shot raw with the camera and the image looks like this on the camera screen. All I had done was to open the image using picasa and export jpg file for uploading.
I just don't understand why I get red dots. I have pretty dark image when underexposed, but seldom see something so noisy

Flickr (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 02, 2012 00:14 |  #6

OK, then that is likely a sign that something happened with your memory card, because that is not normal.

Does every shot come out like that, or just the one? OK, I saw that you have had others come out better.

Try a series of shots in good light so you are not struggling with the exposure and so it can be clear if there is a malfunction going on there. Shoot a lot, then check out the shots. If a number of them come out looking bad, the next step would be to try a new memory card.

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

theatrus
132 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 02, 2012 00:30 |  #7

Also, be very cautious using Picasa as a RAW processor. It's honestly terrible at that.

Does this occur when you shoot JPEG?

5Dc, 5D III, 24-70L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/4L, 100 macro, 135L, 50 1.4 | NEC LCD3090

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 02, 2012 01:08 |  #8

theatrus wrote in post #14194470 (external link)
Also, be very cautious using Picasa as a RAW processor. It's honestly terrible at that.

Does this occur when you shoot JPEG?

That's a reasonable question.

As to Picasa, he says the camera Preview had the look before loading on his computer.

the title was misleading because it talked about a high ISO, when according to the post the ISO was 100, so methinks we have some confusion on board!

Tony

skycolt
THREAD ­ STARTER
410 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 02, 2012 12:02 |  #9

Thanks for all your replies.
I double checked the pics. It's dark on the camera screen...
I downloaded the canon raw image viewer for cr2, still looks like the one in the original post
I didn't try JPEG yet. But most of the pictures are fine. It don't seems that the camera has major functional defect. I guess like you said, the major reason is that the picture is under exposed.
What I don't understand for the exposure is that low ISO suppose to have low noise on the picture. I suppose with the low light and ISO 100, I could get a picture totally dark because I don't have enough light on the CCD. While for high ISO low light, the picture could be noisy, like the one in the first post. But in realty I get this terrible pic under ISO 100. I am confused :( I think I get some understanding wrong about ISO setup.

Flickr (external link)

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,562 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 02, 2012 12:21 |  #10

You can get terrible noise at any ISO if you underexpose the image and push the heck out of it in post.

theatrus
132 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 02, 2012 12:28 |  #11

skycolt wrote in post #14196672 (external link)
I suppose with the low light and ISO 100, I could get a picture totally dark because I don't have enough light on the CCD. While for high ISO low light, the picture could be noisy, like the one in the first post. But in realty I get this terrible pic under ISO 100. I am confused :( I think I get some understanding wrong about ISO setup.

Low ISO has low noise when the image is CORRECTLY exposed. If you cannot get a good exposure (as you've done here), you need to raise your in camera ISO. You can't make something from nothing.

5Dc, 5D III, 24-70L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/4L, 100 macro, 135L, 50 1.4 | NEC LCD3090

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 02, 2012 13:44 |  #12

Try viewing & processing the image with Canon's Digital Photo Professional software.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

IslandCrow
589 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 02, 2012 14:49 |  #13

With the EXIF you've listed, I'd say that photo is a lost cause. I'm rather surprised you got anything but black with the settings you used. As stated, if you're shooting a picture in even a moderately lit room, you're going to want a much higher ISO. When shooting a normally lit room, I'm generally at ISO 800 minimum. You'll probably want to open up your aperature as well, unless you really need the depth of field.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 02, 2012 15:04 |  #14

skycolt wrote in post #14196672 (external link)
Thanks for all your replies.
I double checked the pics. It's dark on the camera screen...
I downloaded the canon raw image viewer for cr2, still looks like the one in the original post
I didn't try JPEG yet. But most of the pictures are fine. It don't seems that the camera has major functional defect. I guess like you said, the major reason is that the picture is under exposed.
What I don't understand for the exposure is that low ISO suppose to have low noise on the picture. I suppose with the low light and ISO 100, I could get a picture totally dark because I don't have enough light on the CCD. While for high ISO low light, the picture could be noisy, like the one in the first post. But in realty I get this terrible pic under ISO 100. I am confused :( I think I get some understanding wrong about ISO setup.

You said you did nothing to "push" the exposure in software, so as I said in an earlier post, your noise shows a problem with the picture, either the card or less likely what the camera wrote to the card.

Do you get what I"m saying? Did you read my earlier post?

The noise has nothing to do with how dark it was or your exposure or ISO settings! The key is that you said it had no software processing! So you need to stop grappling with the ISO/exposure thing and instead grapple with what might be happening to your card/photos!

Tony

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 02, 2012 15:44 |  #15

tonylong wrote in post #14194399 (external link)
OK, then that is likely a sign that something happened with your memory card, because that is not normal.

looks like memory card problem

sponsored links

1,517 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question on high noise photo
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.