Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Apr 2012 (Wednesday) 00:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How often do you guys do reshoots?

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 04, 2012 00:13 |  #1

Keep in mind, I'm only talking about amateur work here. Obviously some of the pros might have to do reshoots if their bosses tell them to. Also, this topic won't mostly apply for people who primarily do one-time "event" sorts of things. Obviously if you fudge up a wedding, you can't just ask the couple to do the wedding again.

But otherwise, How often do you guys/gals do reshoots of the same thing? Like, most of my best pictures, I like them a lot for the most part. But there's almost always some little detail that I fudged up. Just some minor little thing that isn't a huge deal, because most other people won't ever notice it. Not picture killers, but just stuff that bugs the hell out of me and that can't be fixed in Photoshop.

At that point I usually go, "eh, it's cool, but it needs a reshoot". The thing is, those reshoots almost never happen. Out of all the cool pictures I make that I really WANT to love if only a reshoot were done, I only ever do a reshoot maybe 1% of the time. The rest of the time, I generally just shrug my shoulders, say "I'll get around to it later", and then I just completely totally end up moving onto the next thing. The reshoots just plain never happen.

I'm just wondering if that happens with anyone else here. How many of you get pictures that are ALMOST there, but not quite? Where all it needs is a quick reshoot where one little detail gets fixed? When that happens, how many of you ACTUALLY go out and reshoot, and how many of you just plan to do it eventually and never get around to it?

sponsored links
Allan.L
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 04, 2012 00:24 |  #2

I'm always trying to get better photos of the same species of bird etc if that's what you mean! Lots and lots of shots that don't make my mental 'cut-off' for what i'm looking for.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 04, 2012 02:05 |  #3

Hmm...I've revisited many scenes at different times or to get a different perspective, that sort of thing, like shooting a mountain at different times of year and from different perspectives, that sort of thing.

But I don't consider those "reshoots". I think that what you are getting at is different, like reapproaching a subject/setting and aiming for more "micro-differences", where the overall setting is the same, but you are aiming to do something a bit "different", and you are planning this out as a "shoot", am I correct?

In that sense I think I'm like you -- I occasionally think about it, but I'm just not in the habit of doing it! For example, last year during the fall I did a little project where I was shooting some trees with fall colors and moss. I paid two visits and took a number of shots. I went over things and got some ideas for a "reshoot", but between one thing and another it never happened! Now as the weather warms up I actually have thought about it...:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

jb_browneyes
Goldmember
2,107 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 04, 2012 02:47 |  #4

I once shot a family with the most defiant 2 yr old I've ever met (not just to me, but also to the parents) Anyhow I shot them late afternoon and the child was just not giving me much (not even any great candids) So thought I'd just wait her out, but a storm was moving over and we lost the light. Now I could have just taken their money and been done with it, but the images I had were not up to my standards, so even though they were leaving the next day back to TX, I asked them if the would be willing to meet me at noon (again great light..lol) the next day before they left. This time I came armed with skittles and I FINALLY got what I was wanting. So even though I lost on my time, I won with a large sale, and the resulting 3 or 4 shoots I got from their word of mouth. So I guess the short answer is... If you don't feel like the images you produced are up to par then reshoot.
wow. I just re-read you question, and now realize you did not want this kind of feedback- but since I spent all this time typing it I'm posting it anyways..lol :)

Jennifer
I only answer to THE highest authority

gear and website (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 04, 2012 09:29 |  #5

fairly often, a couple of days ago i took a picture of a train engine, went back yesterday and took some more. i guess that's a "reshoot"

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 04, 2012 09:54 |  #6

Reshoots for portraits - never really. I did one many years ago.

For my landscape work - I am constantly going back to the same spot sometimes at a variety of different seasons, etc. There are places where I have yet to encounter the perfect shot for that location. It's all about mother nature cooperating.

Gear List

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,517 posts
Gallery: 154 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 04, 2012 19:03 |  #7

Most of my photography is a reshoot of one type or another. After I visit a new location for a familiar species, I can't wait to go back and shoot it again in the future. In fact, I am usually more excited about my 2nd trip than my first, because I know it takes time & experience to really "get it", and it is on subsequent visits that I will really be able to get the images I want.
I view the first shoot at a new location as more of a learning experience than a "stellar image making opportuntiy".

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Tessa
Playing with fire
1,806 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 05, 2012 07:36 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #8

Since I mostly shoot racing there is no chance to reshoot - if it happened and you missed it, tough luck :confused:

Do I wish I could reshoot some things? Definitely :)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,517 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 05, 2012 08:56 |  #9

Tessa wrote in post #14213556 (external link)
Since I mostly shoot racing there is no chance to reshoot

Don't they sometimes hold a race at the same track each year? The way I see things, if someone shoots the 2007 Daytona 500, then goes to the Daytona 500 again in 2008, they are in fact doing a reshoot of the Daytona 500. Every time they return to the same venue to shoot a race, it is a reshoot.

Let's say I find a place to shoot Elk during the September rut - Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado. If I go there and shoot the rutting elk in 2011, and then return to shoot them again in 2012, the 2012 trip is a re-shoot. And every time I return to RMNP to shoot rutting elk, for the rest of my life, it is a reshoot of the original 2011 trip.

Do you not see it this way?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

mcap1972
151 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 05, 2012 09:55 |  #10

It's great for landscape photography. Just go out during different season or different time of the day.

Avangard Photography (external link)

Tessa
Playing with fire
1,806 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 05, 2012 10:04 |  #11

Tom Reichner wrote in post #14213900 (external link)
Don't they sometimes hold a race at the same track each year? The way I see things, if someone shoots the 2007 Daytona 500, then goes to the Daytona 500 again in 2008, they are in fact doing a reshoot of the Daytona 500. Every time they return to the same venue to shoot a race, it is a reshoot.

Let's say I find a place to shoot Elk during the September rut - Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado. If I go there and shoot the rutting elk in 2011, and then return to shoot them again in 2012, the 2012 trip is a re-shoot. And every time I return to RMNP to shoot rutting elk, for the rest of my life, it is a reshoot of the original 2011 trip.

Do you not see it this way?

Well, no - it's the same location, but different race. You're not going to the race next year to reshoot what happened this year, because it's already gone. You're shooting a new race, not reshooting an old race.

Let's say you messed up and missed a big crash - you can't reshoot that crash. If you didn't get it, you didn't get it.

What you can do is work harder and shoot better at the next years race on the same track, but it's still not a reshoot.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,517 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 05, 2012 17:04 |  #12

Tessa wrote in post #14214245 (external link)
Well, no - it's the same location, but different race. You're not going to the race next year to reshoot what happened this year, because it's already gone. You're shooting a new race, not reshooting an old race.

Let's say you messed up and missed a big crash - you can't reshoot that crash. If you didn't get it, you didn't get it.

What you can do is work harder and shoot better at the next years race on the same track, but it's still not a reshoot.

But, if I go to Yellowstone to shoot Grizzly Bears in the summer of 2008, and then return to Yellowstone three years later, in the summer, to shoot Grizzly Bears again, it is a reshoot - even though they may very well be different bears.
You're entitled to your opinion concerning what you shoot, and I am entitled to mine about what I shoot.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 06, 2012 01:21 |  #13

I don't see a conflict between what Tessa is saying and what Tom is saying, simply because they are talking about a different concept to what a "shoot" is, and what constitutes a "reshoot".

I think that if you are covering something like racing or some type of sport, then in the beginning every shoot is a "reshoot" because it takes a while to get the hang of shooting a particular type of event like that. In time, you have it down, but then you are in the "capture the moment and every shot counts, and if you miss "moments", well, you can't redo that particular moment. If the shoot has importance to you, then you have missed the moment. It may be a combination of people involved, the specifics of the event, or any number of elements that could make that one occasion "unique".

And yet like Tom and others describe, there are places that you keep going back to, and maybe there is a lot of "sameness". So you go for one or two or 20 shots that stick out above the "norm", that make that one visit unique. You hope to, at least:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

2,132 views & 0 likes for this thread
How often do you guys do reshoots?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.