Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 04 Apr 2012 (Wednesday) 06:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Reccommend a backpack (very specific!)

da9k1ne
345 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 04, 2012 06:48 |  #1

I do alot of traveling, and flying, and currently own the incase sling bag which I love. There is not one thing bad I can say about it.

On the other hand, I'm traveling to greece fairly soon and simply need a bigger bag that can hold my photo equipment as well as some personal items (sweatshirt, magazines, etc). I've done alot of research and really like the bags and have the photo gear in the bottom half, and the top half is dedicated personal space.

The problem is I cant find any of those bags anymore!

I also really like the burton backpack that is reviewed on this site. I LOVE the fact that you can only access the camera stuff from the back of the backpack (where it cannot be accessed by thief if you are wearing it, but I'm not sure it has any "personal" space.

Please let me know of any backpacks that you think will fit the bill. I'm looking 100% for a backpack, not a messenger bag or sling.

It needs to hold the following:
Canon 50d
Canon 18-135
Sigma 30mm
Rokinon 8mm Fisheye
All the random cords, lens caps
Personal stuff (sweatshirt, a book or two, water bottle, anything else)

Thanks in advance! My budget is also around $100 if possible.

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 04, 2012 07:12 |  #2

Lowepro fastpack 350 fits your criteria perfectly.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

mag10
357 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 04, 2012 12:03 |  #3

You seem to be looking for a lot of what I was looking for in a backpack. I ended up with the Dakine Quest. Check out my review here.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III | Sony DSC-RX100M3 | Canon EF 16-35 f/4 L IS USM EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM | Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM ART | Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT Dedicated flash ST-E3 RT controller

chrisandaivi
718 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 04, 2012 13:19 |  #4

Thinkgtank streetwalker series, but the access is on the front.

Gear: 5D Mark II, Canon 85mm 1.2 L ,Canon 17-40mm F4L
Canon 24-70mm F2.8L, Canon 70-200mm F4L
580 exII x2
Rf602 triggers
Etc, Etc, ETC

da9k1ne
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 04, 2012 13:21 |  #5

Sirrith wrote in post #14207532 (external link)
Lowepro fastpack 350 fits your criteria perfectly.

i dont really like the looks/layout of this bag, but it does fit my needs. thanks!

mag10 wrote in post #14208798 (external link)
You seem to be looking for a lot of what I was looking for in a backpack. I ended up with the Dakine Quest. Check out my review here.

this seems to be a great option, however is is about 80-100 dollars more than I want to spend.

i have found that the burton zoom pack seems to be right around the 100-110 mark, and is pretty much handles all i need. so far that bag is in the lead.

does dakine offer any other photo bags on a smaller budget range that would work with my needs?

da9k1ne
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 04, 2012 13:29 |  #6

also, i have heard that dakine makes some rear access backpacks?

that is probably my favorite thing about the burton, so I would be very interested in buying a dakine backpack with rear access. only problem is i cannot find any, but they are apparently out there!

as you can see buy me username, i'm trying to be partial towards snowboarding/dakine bags!

Gameface
672 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 04, 2012 13:38 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

I have two Dakine Reloads. Old is back entry and the new one unfortunately is front. But the sequence and the mission photo are back access. http://www.dakine.com/​w/packs/photo-packs#4=38 (external link)

Those were our go to bags in the backcountry for video and photo gear.

da9k1ne
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 04, 2012 13:43 |  #8

Gameface wrote in post #14209275 (external link)
I have two Dakine Reloads. Old is back entry and the new one unfortunately is front. But the sequence and the mission photo are back access. http://www.dakine.com/​w/packs/photo-packs#4=38 (external link)

Those were our go to bags in the backcountry for video and photo gear.

great, the sequence does turn out to look exactly what i need. i may just have to splurge! it's not between the sequence, but i still like the burton as well.

big8oy
148 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 04, 2012 13:53 |  #9

I have the Kata 3-n-1 30, and it might be what you are looking for. It can be a backpack as well as a sling, has side access and also an area on the top for personal items. the bottom portion has enough space for my 5dii gripped, with 24-70, 70-200, sigma 50, and a flash. The 33 is the same as the 30, but adds the ability to put a laptop too.

http://www.amazon.com …pack-Laptop/dp/B002UHKR6I (external link)

mag10
357 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 04, 2012 13:58 |  #10

da9k1ne wrote in post #14209200 (external link)
does dakine offer any other photo bags on a smaller budget range that would work with my needs?

da9k1ne wrote in post #14209249 (external link)
also, i have heard that dakine makes some rear access backpacks?

You know, there's something called the internet where most businesses now have websites about their products. http://www.dakine.com/​w/packs/photo-packs (external link)

Trust me, I dislike unhelpful and smart a$$ posts as much as anyone else, but it just seems like you're not doing any due diligence on your own before you post.

In any case, Dakine does have back-access packs (Sequence and Mission), but none that has a separate compartment for other items. The Mission can be had for less than $100, and you might be able to find the sequence for mid-$100's if you look around. I looked long and hard for a backpack and I don't recall many that have a separate compartment for personal items and a relatively large camera compartment, especially for around $100. Most of the ones I saw with a feature set like the Dakine Mission were more expensive. For example, the F-stop Guru has back-access, and room for personal items on top of a medium ICU, but that will cost you well around $300 out the door.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III | Sony DSC-RX100M3 | Canon EF 16-35 f/4 L IS USM EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM | Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM ART | Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT Dedicated flash ST-E3 RT controller

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,116 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 04, 2012 14:33 |  #11

Check outt he Kenti by F Stop
http://fstopgear.com/e​n/product/mountain/ken​ti (external link)

My Gear flickr (external link)

falco18
34 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 04, 2012 14:44 |  #12

Definitely F-stop. They would be perfect for your needs. Yes the packs are pricey, but are built like a backpacking pack and will last your years and years of abuse. I picked up the Loka about a year ago and couldn't be happier.

alex.hondsmerk
Goldmember
1,547 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 04, 2012 16:38 |  #13

+1 for the fastpack 350

Gripped 50D, 24-105 f/4 L, 70-200 f/4 L, EF-S 17-85, 50 f/1.8 II "L" (external link), Tamron 60 f/2 Macro, Samyang 8mm fisheye, 430EX
Flickr (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,510 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 04, 2012 17:14 |  #14

Bianchi wrote in post #14209541 (external link)
Check outt he Kenti by F Stop
http://fstopgear.com/e​n/product/mountain/ken​ti (external link)

I'm a huge fan of my F-Stop bag (Tilopa BC), but the Kenti might be a little small for the photo gear plus other stuff. The Guru (external link)might be a better size to look at for that trip/application.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

da9k1ne
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 04, 2012 17:42 |  #15

mag10 wrote in post #14209358 (external link)
You know, there's something called the internet where most businesses now have websites about their products. http://www.dakine.com/​w/packs/photo-packs (external link)

Trust me, I dislike unhelpful and smart a$$ posts as much as anyone else, but it just seems like you're not doing any due diligence on your own before you post.

In any case, Dakine does have back-access packs (Sequence and Mission), but none that has a separate compartment for other items. The Mission can be had for less than $100, and you might be able to find the sequence for mid-$100's if you look around. I looked long and hard for a backpack and I don't recall many that have a separate compartment for personal items and a relatively large camera compartment, especially for around $100. Most of the ones I saw with a feature set like the Dakine Mission were more expensive. For example, the F-stop Guru has back-access, and room for personal items on top of a medium ICU, but that will cost you well around $300 out the door.

i obviously used the internet if i suggested the burton bag and a dakine bag in my first post. i went onto every big name bag makers website, but going back to the dakine website i see that i missed the search refiner where there is a back access option. my fault.

it seems like either dakine bag will work for me since I do not have any long lenses like as advertised in the bags, which makes me think i can rearrange the camera space to be about half the size as advertised. the rest of the space i could use for personal stuff (jacket, etc).

sponsored links

3,932 views & 0 likes for this thread
Reccommend a backpack (very specific!)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.