Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Apr 2012 (Wednesday) 08:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Composition and all that Arty stuff - discussion thread.

Tom ­ Reichner
Cream of the Crop
15,545 posts
Gallery: 168 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Jul 13, 2014 11:03 |  #3436

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17026481 (external link)
It's been so long since I've read the original post, that I had forgotten that we were asked to share our thoughts at the same time we post an image.

OhLook wrote in post #17028037 (external link)
We were? I'd rather post an image without commenting, to avoid giving viewers any preconceptions.

Clean Gene wrote in post #17028228 (external link)
So, like...are we supposed to comment about the image, or aren't we? I'm not quite sure how much I want to (or can) say about this.

Well, I recently "stumbled upon" the first post in this thread, from MTimber, the guy who created the thread. When he started this thread, this is what he said:

mtimber wrote in post #14207751 (external link)
I thought it would be good to have a thread where we can discuss composition etc.

Offering and sharing tips, techniques and principles.

Also of course sharing videos and links on the subject.

Composition is such a huge part of photography and many of us have had no Art School education at all, so this thread can go a small way to alleviate that.

Post your thoughts, questions and observations and pictures here.

When you post a picture, please explain your compositional thoughts so others understand your image better.

Mark :-)

I guess I take this request literally, meaning that he said when you post a picture . . . , not after you post a picture.

I just didn't want to lose sight of the original intent of the OP, and have the thread evolve into something different than what Mark envisioned when he started this whole thing.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
Cream of the Crop
15,545 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Jul 13, 2014 11:08 |  #3437

Gene,
Your image is somewhat striking due to the subject matter. It is really unusual - and somewhat dramatic - to see a young bird this early in its' development. I especially like the detail of the wing primaries just starting to emerge. Additionally, the way the light is falling on the subject is complimentary because it give a warm glow to the bird.

If only the orange background object wasn't so dominant! But there probably wasn't much of anything you could do about that . . . at least not without causing undue disturbance to the bird.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Tom ­ Reichner
Cream of the Crop
15,545 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 13, 2014 11:12 |  #3438

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17028456 (external link)
What about this? For me this is about the hands.

Yes, the hands "make the image". But there is so much more than the hands!

The reflected vehicles give me a feeling that this was a busy place; that there is a lot going on. And the umbrella tops in the upper corner (if that's indeed what they are) add an interesting element that further enforces the feeling that there is more going on around this scene than what is actually captured.

And the shirt!!! That guy's shirt is about as good as it gets for someone doing B&W photography! My eyes are happy when there is one part of the frame that has such strong contrast . . . if provides an immediate focal point; the place where my eyes go to when I first look at the image.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,717 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jul 13, 2014 11:49 |  #3439

Thanks Tom and yes I agree there is more that just the hands though in the moment the hands were what caused me to push the shutter. I couldn't believe he was sitting there with his hands in a similar position to those in the ads behind him and they formed a triangle. The shirt, contrast and then the reflections are definitely a bonus....

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
20,316 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by OhLook.

Jul 13, 2014 12:42 |  #3440

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17028932 (external link)
I agree there is more that just the hands though in the moment the hands were what caused me to push the shutter. I couldn't believe he was sitting there with his hands in a similar position to those in the ads behind him and they formed a triangle.

It isn't just a triangle. There are four hands, and his two are far enough apart to count separately. Then the figures on his shirt have arms, too, and sort-of (suggested) hands. What works for me isn't the triangle, it's the angles of all the forearms. The drawings in the shirt design make an interior miniature version of the whole thing.

Gene, I hope you'll understand if I don't analyze your dead-hatchling scene. It's too macabre for my taste. My first thought was "Why isn't anyone keeping this little bird warm?"

My turn in the hot seat. I posted this in Urban Fragments, got no comments there. The comments that the OP wanted are below the picture, so don't scroll down too far if you want to form your impressions independently of my thoughts.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from OhLook's gallery.

On a transit platform. We were waiting for a train. I'd had an eye out for fragments and candids but hadn't seen much worthwhile in several hours away from home. Then I spotted this telephone box of an unfamiliar kind. It must be meant for transit workers to use. Near its bottom, it has a lock and a sign saying what kind of key is required. Interesting signs of wear on the metal front, and a vestige of a colorful paper that was once attached, with a surprising sharply cut edge where you'd usually see an irregular tear. I stared at it and got into That Analytic Mood and decided how to frame.

I cropped off a tiny slice of the left side because part of the T intruded. Afterthoughts on viewing the image on the computer: (1) As often happens, I've made an image that incorporates the idea of time. This object has a past, and it shows. (2) The slightly off-center placement of the paper scrap may be considered bad composition, but I like that it's just a strange enough placement to make you nervous. (3) I think excluding the first and last letters of the word adds a sense of mystery. The partial word makes viewers do some cognitive work. "ELEPHON" doesn't mean anything, so what are you looking at? First you don't know, then you figure it out. The paper creates an unanswered question. What came after the R? What was the ad or poster about? (4) Although I think this was the best fragment I'd found in a long time, it may be too stark or too postmodern for many people.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 13, 2014 15:57 |  #3441

OhLook, I just want to mention...

I like how your participation in the Urban Fragments thread has blended with your involvement in this thread, and I appreciate your vision when it comes to spotting these "fragments" and seeing, well, something in them!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

airfrogusmc
36,717 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 13, 2014 16:33 |  #3442

Oh Look I like this the simple yellow and red triangle in the sea of cool muted color. Great balance of warm and cool. And then theres the almost random letters. Glad you didn't include entire words and then theres that wonderful red R....

OhLook
20,316 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 13, 2014 22:26 |  #3443

Thanks, guys!

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

Tom ­ Reichner
Cream of the Crop
15,545 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 14, 2014 02:04 |  #3444

The scuffing, wear, adhesive residue, and carved-in graffiti give a world of textural interest to that steel-grey surface. There's really a lot going on there, and all of it is tastefully subtle.

OhLook
20,316 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 14, 2014 09:55 |  #3445

Thanks, Tom. The aged look of that surface was one of the elements that drew my attention in the first place.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
14,430 posts
Gallery: 219 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 18, 2014 22:30 as a reply to  @ OhLook's post |  #3446

I liked the abstract patterns this composition created with three layers of aircraft, wing, engine and body and a detailed look at a "blinder" for one of the landing lights designed to prevent the light from shining into the pilots eyes. To me, the "blinder" (my definition) also has an art deco look to it.

Edit: I should have mentioned that this aircraft is the Douglas DC-3, first introduced in 1936.

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2935/14500329228_299843a0cd_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/o6kY​Gm  (external link)
DC3_blinders (external link) by navydoc45 (external link), on Flickr

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
14,430 posts
Gallery: 219 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 22, 2014 10:15 as a reply to  @ navydoc's post |  #3447

Since no one else has commmented on my photograph so far, I though I'd share my thoughts on why I like the image.

To my eyes, the lines of the plane body and wing lead me to the metal device that is in focus within a shallow depth of field. I'm drawn to the shape, textures and details of the device and the structures around it, The design of the device reminds me of art deco styles from the 1920's and 30's. I wonder what the devices purpose is and my imagination comes up with a conjecture.

While probably not as "arty" as black and white, here is a color version which I think brings a bit more attention to the light fixture that the metal device appears to influence.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

airfrogusmc
36,717 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 22, 2014 12:39 |  #3448

Sorry Gene, meant to comment. Not sure what you mean by artsy but the color, in my opinion, because of the warm/cool thing has more visual interest. You have the cool blue colors and then the warm color of the rectangle and the light which is I would say more artsy (I hate those kinds of labels BTW) I prefer the color by a lot....

DC-3 military version was the C 47. They had a very long service record.

w9trb
149 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 22, 2014 17:01 |  #3449

navydoc wrote in post #17048283 (external link)
Since no one else has commmented on my photograph so far, I though I'd share my thoughts on why I like the image.

To my eyes, the lines of the plane body and wing lead me to the metal device that is in focus within a shallow depth of field. I'm drawn to the shape, textures and details of the device and the structures around it, The design of the device reminds me of art deco styles from the 1920's and 30's. I wonder what the devices purpose is and my imagination comes up with a conjecture.

While probably not as "arty" as black and white, here is a color version which I think brings a bit more attention to the light fixture that the metal device appears to influence.

I think that device on the wing was to help preserve the Pilot's night vision.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 22, 2014 17:39 |  #3450

Gene, to me it's one of those images that works very well both ways!

The B&W, well, it does that B&W "thing" of making those details and elements really stand out, very nice, and then the color, well, it makes things "rich" in a special way!

A lot of times when people post comparisons like this, my suggestion is, print them both in a nice large size and hang them and enjoy the heck out of them both!:)

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

439,554 views & 102 likes for this thread
Composition and all that Arty stuff - discussion thread.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.