Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Apr 2012 (Wednesday) 08:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Composition and all that Arty stuff - discussion thread.

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 22, 2014 17:42 |  #3451

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17048596 (external link)
Sorry Gene, meant to comment. Not sure what you mean by artsy but the color, in my opinion, because of the warm/cool thing has more visual interest. You have the cool blue colors and then the warm color of the rectangle and the light which is I would say more artsy (I hate those kinds of labels BTW) I prefer the color by a lot....

DC-3 military version was the C 47. They had a very long service record.

You're not kidding, Allen. We still have at least a couple here in New Zealand. Up until recently one was being used for aerial top-dressing...they can cary a whole lot more fertiliser than the Cessna Ag-wagons, that's for sure.

Gene, I like the colour version best too....though the b&w certainly has a more "historic" look...and when I saw it I wanted to see more in a "series".

Growing old disgracefully!

sponsored links
navydoc
Cream of the Crop
14,301 posts
Gallery: 212 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 22, 2014 18:56 as a reply to  @ Ricardo222's post |  #3452

I appreciate everyone's comments, thanks very much. I suppose what I meant by the black and white version being more "arty" is that to me, the b&w version is more abstract and stripped to its barest essentials where composition, tonality and detail capture ones attention rather than "pretty colors". I also thought that black and white strengthened the feel of the art deco era. I was after all, trying to draw attention to the "blinder".

In this case, I do agree that the color version adds an additional dimension of interest and renders the composition less abstract. Color also appears to bring the light fixture itself into a more prominent status.

So, I like both versions but for different reasons.

By the way, this particular aircraft is the civilian DC-3 rather than the C-47 Dakota, more affectionately known as the Gooney Bird. I believe these aircraft are very much still in service in Alaska too.

I used the word "arty" in quotes as a spoof of this threads title. ;)

Ricardo, here's a link to my Flickr album for the Hemet/Ryan Airfield where I have more shots of the DC-3. These were taken over two separate visits.

https://www.flickr.com …3/sets/72157639​450200375/ (external link)

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,676 posts
Gallery: 159 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jul 22, 2014 19:03 |  #3453

navydoc wrote in post #17049396 (external link)
I appreciate everyone's comments, thanks very much. I suppose what I meant by the black and white version being more "arty" is that to me, the b&w version is more abstract and stripped to its barest essentials where composition, tonality and detail capture ones attention rather than "pretty colors". I also thought that black and white strengthened the feel of the art deco era. I was after all, trying to draw attention to the "blinder".

In this case, I do agree that the color version adds an additional dimension of interest and renders the composition less abstract. Color also appears to bring the light fixture itself into a more prominent status.

So, I like both versions but for different reasons.

By the way, this particular aircraft is the civilian DC-3 rather than the C-47 Dakota, more affectionately known as the Gooney Bird. I believe these aircraft are very much still in service in Alaska too.

I used the word "arty" in quotes as a spoof of this threads title. ;)

Ricardo, here's a link to my Flickr album for the Hemet/Ryan Airfield where I have more shots of the DC-3. These were taken over two separate visits.

https://www.flickr.com …3/sets/72157639​450200375/ (external link)

Cool stuff thanks for posting the link....

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 22, 2014 19:58 |  #3454

Yes Gene, that's a terrific line-up of aircraft, and some very fine shots. Thank you.

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 02, 2014 17:09 |  #3455

After this shot was posted on another thread I received the comment that the stick was an un-necessary distraction. I included it because I felt that it acted as a minor counterpoint to the boat. Without it the boat floating in mist seems somewhat contrived, whereas the stick adds a slightly jarring note needed to create a "tension" in the image.

Any thoughts on this?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
20,000 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 02, 2014 19:13 |  #3456

Ricardo, I think it could go either way. The image conveys mystery and "nowhereness" with or without the stick. I tried holding a finger in front of the stick and pretending it wasn't there.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 02, 2014 20:40 |  #3457

OhLook wrote in post #17072734 (external link)
Ricardo, I think it could go either way. The image conveys mystery and "nowhereness" with or without the stick. I tried holding a finger in front of the stick and pretending it wasn't there.

Thanks for the comment, OhLook...you have a good eye for composition and I value your opinion.

Allen and others whose judgement in such matters I value, tell us that anything not adding to the composition is actually detracting from it. In this case my own view goes with "adding"!

ceriltheblade
Goldmember
2,484 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 03, 2014 00:31 |  #3458

if I may offer an opinion. I agree with you that because there is almost no texture to the water - the ship looks like it is floating in thin air/fog. The extra stick offers a bit of "grounding" as it were. On the other hand - if there was a commercial use to the picture - I could see cloning it out for verbage... is this for you or for marketing?

7D/5dIII
50 1.8 II, MP-E65, 85 II, 100 IS
8-15 FE, 10-22, 16-35 IS, 24-105, 70-200 f4IS, 100-400 ii, tamron 28-75 2.8
600 ex-rt, 055xproB/488rc2/Sirui k40x, kenko extens tubes

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 03, 2014 02:32 |  #3459

Just my opinion...I feel like the image is about isolation. Being alone, cut off, whatever. It's about the relationship between that lone object (the ship) and an endless void stretching out as far as the eye can see.

In my opinion, that stick hurts that relationship. Now, whether including the stick is better from a design standpoint, I don't know. But as soon as I see that stick, I know that the boat is close to shore, which hurts the illusion. That one little visual element provides context that counters everything else the image is saying. From a thematic standpoint, I don't think that stick belongs in the image.

As far as it looking contrived without the stick, what does that have to do with anything? Is there something wrong with looking contrived? Contrived or not, the image conveys what it conveys. And hell...even if for some reason you need it to be apparent that the image was natural rather than contrived, that stick still isn't sufficient. You just as easily could have contrived the whole thing and then used Photoshop to paste that stick in.

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 03, 2014 04:03 |  #3460

ceriltheblade wrote in post #17073040 (external link)
if I may offer an opinion. I agree with you that because there is almost no texture to the water - the ship looks like it is floating in thin air/fog. The extra stick offers a bit of "grounding" as it were. On the other hand - if there was a commercial use to the picture - I could see cloning it out for verbage... is this for you or for marketing?

Clean Gene wrote in post #17073131 (external link)
Just my opinion...I feel like the image is about isolation. Being alone, cut off, whatever. It's about the relationship between that lone object (the ship) and an endless void stretching out as far as the eye can see.

In my opinion, that stick hurts that relationship. Now, whether including the stick is better from a design standpoint, I don't know. But as soon as I see that stick, I know that the boat is close to shore, which hurts the illusion. That one little visual element provides context that counters everything else the image is saying. From a thematic standpoint, I don't think that stick belongs in the image.

As far as it looking contrived without the stick, what does that have to do with anything? Is there something wrong with looking contrived? Contrived or not, the image conveys what it conveys. And hell...even if for some reason you need it to be apparent that the image was natural rather than contrived, that stick still isn't sufficient. You just as easily could have contrived the whole thing and then used Photoshop to paste that stick in.

Thanks for the comments. Yes, Gene, the picture was not just about the boat but about the day and the conditions as well. I hadn't really thought about how the stick pins the boat to the shore...that was a good observation. As a matter of interest I had to wait quite a long time for the tide to move the vessel enough to hid the large post it's moored to...you can see it over the foredeck, so the illusion of being far from anywhere had escaped me. Now you have brought it to my attention I will have another look at it.
By contrived I meant that because I knew the stick was there, removing it would have changed the context, but that was just my own thought. Hell, I change enough things like that to strengthen images...
Anyway, thanks for the thoughts...much appreciated.

And Ceril...good point about if the picture was for commercial use...sadly it ain't!:D

OhLook
20,000 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by OhLook.

Aug 16, 2014 14:04 |  #3461

Let's get this topic going again. It's been a week.

Once in a while, I find a scene that could have been designed as a still life. I think this one from yesterday is a work area for a florist's business. It had a little PP to brighten it (shot through a window) but no cropping; it was an exercise in framing.

I worry that my "urban fragments" look too much alike. Am I seeking out the same small set of compositional elements every time?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from OhLook's gallery.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

airfrogusmc
36,676 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 17, 2014 15:28 |  #3462

OhLook wrote in post #17100130 (external link)
Let's get this topic going again. It's been a week.

Once in a while, I find a scene that could have been designed as a still life. I think this one from yesterday is a work area for a florist's business. It had a little PP to brighten it (shot through a window) but no cropping; it was an exercise in framing.

I worry that my "urban fragments" look too much alike. Am I seeking out the same small set of compositional elements every time?

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://s641.photobucke​t.com …1514_zps1be4044​3.jpg.html  (external link)

The way you use the frame and color it still looks like one of your photographs....:D

airfrogusmc
36,676 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 17, 2014 15:31 |  #3463

Ricardo222 wrote in post #17072564 (external link)
After this shot was posted on another thread I received the comment that the stick was an un-necessary distraction. I included it because I felt that it acted as a minor counterpoint to the boat. Without it the boat floating in mist seems somewhat contrived, whereas the stick adds a slightly jarring note needed to create a "tension" in the image.

Any thoughts on this?

Sweet...Love the negative space and the way you balance that vertical line from the boat mast with the reed and the way that reed distorts the scale make the image even more mysterious. No horizon line also helps break down the reality. Love the Japanese like simple comp...

Tom ­ Reichner
Cream of the Crop
15,545 posts
Gallery: 168 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Aug 19, 2014 00:59 |  #3464

OhLook wrote in post #17100130 (external link)

I really like this image. As far as the framing is concerned, I don't think I would have wanted to include any more; nor would I want to exclude anything that is in there. Pretty much nailed that.

I also like the colors and how they work together. The mint green pottery adds a nice focal point, as far as color is concerned.

I think it is fine that it looks similar to your other work. In fact, that is something that many artists strive to do. Yet it is also nice to be able to step away from your "style" from time to time, and do something that has a different look and feel than what you normally create.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

OhLook
20,000 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 19, 2014 01:59 |  #3465

airfrog and Tom, thanks for commenting. I'll continue to think about the presumed difference between achieving My Very Own Personal Style and being in a rut.

I don't think I would have wanted to include any more; nor would I want to exclude anything that is in there.

I would have liked to exclude the AC outlet under the workbench, but I didn't have a choice.

sponsored links

435,892 views & 102 likes for this thread
Composition and all that Arty stuff - discussion thread.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.