Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Apr 2012 (Wednesday) 08:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Composition and all that Arty stuff - discussion thread.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,648 posts
Gallery: 158 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Sep 03, 2014 17:34 |  #3541

Yes # 2 for me also....

sponsored links
OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
19,681 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 03, 2014 22:21 |  #3542

ziemowit wrote in post #17133692 (external link)
If you believe that is at your core, maybe this is your challenge. Would a more photojournalist/social type of work be the way?

Photojournalism is better left to people who can travel more easily. But I'm not sure exactly what a personal core includes. Some of my pictures are just visual, where the point is the shapes and/or colors. In the others, and sometimes this reveals itself only in hindsight when I originally thought the point was shapes and colors, there's a theme involving time.

chauncey wrote in post #17133884 (external link)
Haven't stopped by for a while, here's two versions of the same orchid but...one's a mirror image as John Paul Caponigro is fond of doing. What say you all?

I prefer #1. It's almost symmetrical, and it has more interest in the bulbous structure at the top. In #2 that structure is almost all red; there's less detail and less three-dimensionality.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

ziemowit
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 04, 2014 04:52 |  #3543

OhLook wrote in post #17134499 (external link)
Photojournalism is better left to people who can travel more easily. But I'm not sure exactly what a personal core includes. Some of my pictures are just visual, where the point is the shapes and/or colors. In the others, and sometimes this reveals itself only in hindsight when I originally thought the point was shapes and colors, there's a theme involving time.

I'm not sure myself to be honest, still working that one out.

But even shapes and colours can have a meaning by the way they interact/fight/agree/c​ontinue/flowe etc. Even an abstraction invokes a state of mind, doesn't it.

website (external link) / flickr (external link) / ello (external link) / twitter (external link)

airfrogusmc
36,648 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 04, 2014 08:26 |  #3544

Oh Look usually the best work comes from things you really know. Sally Mann had a family obligations so she photographed her family with a view camera and in a very personal way.

When photographer Abelardo Morell had kids he did the same thing and the images he took of his kids and the things in his home where some of his strongest work in my opinion.

You really don't need to go to far to find interesting images. Ya just have to have able to see. You clearly have that ability.

Weston was said to be able to go into a parking lot and in 10 minutes with a view camera be able to make several significant images.

And yes Z it does....

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 04, 2014 09:07 as a reply to  @ airfrogusmc's post |  #3545

Thanks guys...I'm thinking that the mirror image may have worked better without the red blob. ;)

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

airfrogusmc
36,648 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 04, 2014 09:09 |  #3546

I like it as is....

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
10,259 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 04, 2014 16:08 as a reply to  @ airfrogusmc's post |  #3547

ziemowit
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 04, 2014 16:10 |  #3548

OL - you can always get in touch with your local charity if that kind of work is what you're considering (or did I misunderstand?)

A - I couldn't agree more. My life doesn't leave much travel time, in fact almost all my shots from the last year are from the same area of central London. Its actually a bit crazy how you see new things on the same street every day.

website (external link) / flickr (external link) / ello (external link) / twitter (external link)

ziemowit
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 04, 2014 16:13 |  #3549

sibil - i really like the second one, very cool, well balanced, kind of static but not really, very interesting, and great colour pallette. the first I think is a bit too central and a bit messy composition wise, but the second one would be a keeper in my book.

ziemowit
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 04, 2014 16:22 |  #3550

two very different 'back of the head' shots, I'm slowly buliding a whole collection of these...

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3915/14954766347_754ae9dacc_b.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3848/14954671489_35f418a095_b.jpg

OhLook
19,681 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 04, 2014 19:59 |  #3551

ziemowit wrote in post #17135852 (external link)
OL - you can always get in touch with your local charity if that kind of work is what you're considering (or did I misunderstand?)

I didn't mean I wanted to take photos that had redeeming social value. More like this: My understanding of what constitutes the rock-bottom me, the "core," includes things I believe, but they aren't visual. How is a person's vision as expressed within rectangles formed of pixels, literally a way of seeing, related to the essence of the person? Esthetic taste and personality/values seem quite far apart.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

OhLook
19,681 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by OhLook.

Sep 04, 2014 20:06 |  #3552

And now for something completely different:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

airfrogusmc
36,648 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 04, 2014 20:09 |  #3553

OhLook wrote in post #17136227 (external link)
I didn't mean I wanted to take photos that had redeeming social value. More like this: My understanding of what constitutes the rock-bottom me, the "core," includes things I believe, but they aren't visual. How is a person's vision as expressed within rectangles formed of pixels, literally a way of seeing, related to the essence of the person? Esthetic taste and personality/values seem quite far apart.

The question is can you make those things that you believe visual?

airfrogusmc
36,648 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 04, 2014 20:22 |  #3554

Interesting Z.... I love the visual connection between the two (horz lines at the center)

OhLook
19,681 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 04, 2014 23:09 |  #3555

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17136237 (external link)
The question is can you make those things that you believe visual?

That's a big question. Getting too message-y is to be avoided, by me at least. There have been great documenters, such as Dorothea Lange, but didactic art generally doesn't work. But I think a person's world view, or part of it, can come through.

These are small versions (trying not to overtax the server) of images already posted in Urban Fragments. Taken together, do they "say" anything?

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

432,122 views & 102 likes for this thread
Composition and all that Arty stuff - discussion thread.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.