Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Apr 2012 (Wednesday) 08:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Composition and all that Arty stuff - discussion thread.

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
19,525 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 05, 2014 11:29 |  #3571

Clean Gene wrote in post #17136585 (external link)
I'm more leaning towards rejecting the mindset of don't be cliched, I want to see the real you and what you want to say. The problem with that mentality is that there are more than 7 billion people on the planet, communication is faster than it's ever been, and photography has become accessible to nearly everyone. So yeah...7 billion people making photographs CAN'T result in 7 billion photographers who look unique.

I take your point, but there aren't anywhere near 7 billion people trying to use photography for something other than recording where they were and who else was present.

ziemowit wrote in post #17137055 (external link)
I think we misunderstood the term 'honesty' here. When I say honest, I don't mean 'don't lie'. I meant dig deep enough in yourself to find what is that you truly and uniquely believe to be worth photographing on a serious level.

The distinction, if I understand you, is between honesty and authenticity. Authenticity is hard to explain.

Earlier, I mentioned beliefs. One belief I've acquired is that everyone's mental processing at any moment takes place mostly below consciousness. You don't know everything that's on your mind. You can think faster than it feels like, and you won't be aware of all the steps in this thinking. So, when you see something that strikes you as a good subject for a picture, you may not know all the reasons. Possibly the reasons that were unknown initially will show up in the picture. In this sense, your self becomes visible in your work--more likely in a series of images than in just one.

Talking like this is presumptuous of me. What do the more advanced people say?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

sponsored links
ziemowit
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 05, 2014 11:32 |  #3572

talking about influence, I think its fair to mention other arts, cinema obviously, form Bergman, Kurosawa and Herzog to Kar Wai, literature (Beckett, Mann, all the Russians), music etc. I think it all plays a big role. And of course your actual life, just the daily things.

website (external link) / flickr (external link) / ello (external link) / twitter (external link)

ziemowit
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 05, 2014 11:35 |  #3573

OhLook wrote in post #17137330 (external link)
I

Earlier, I mentioned beliefs. One belief I've acquired is that everyone's mental processing at any moment takes place mostly below consciousness. You don't know everything that's on your mind. You can think faster than it feels like, and you won't be aware of all the steps in this thinking. So, when you see something that strikes you as a good subject for a picture, you may not know all the reasons. Possibly the reasons that were unknown initially will show up in the picture. In this sense, your self becomes visible in your work--more likely in a series of images than in just one.

I remember Winogrand saying smth along the lines of: you see smth and you shoot, if later in post you something else you didn't see before and that now becomes the focus of the frame, that ok as well, its the picture that matters.

Photography has its own language, and as bad as it may sound to some people, accident or oversight also play a big role in it I think.

website (external link) / flickr (external link) / ello (external link) / twitter (external link)

ziemowit
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 05, 2014 11:40 |  #3574

to change the subject a bit, and stir things up a bit, I remember reading in Geoff Dyer's "the ongoing moment", there was a whole chapter on images from one master that look completely like from another. I've read it too long ago now to sum it up though. I do recommend the book if you're not familiar with it, specially if you feel you lack in the critical theory department.

OhLook
19,525 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 05, 2014 11:44 |  #3575

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17137321 (external link)
I would say you are definitely on to something here. I like them all and they all work well together.

Thanks. I have an idea about what they have in common, a theme that isn't visual. Wondering whether other people detect it.

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17137316 (external link)
I have said this before that I can usually tell [Z's] work before I look to see your name. The way you see color is so cool and unique.

Also the spontaneous glimpses of the way people act in the artificial environment of a large, crowded city.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

ziemowit
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 05, 2014 11:49 |  #3576

OhLook wrote in post #17137351 (external link)
Thanks. I have an idea about what they have in common, a theme that isn't visual. Wondering whether other people detect it.

yes, you do clearly have a topic your working on.

and thanks :)

OhLook
19,525 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 05, 2014 12:21 |  #3577

ziemowit wrote in post #17137357 (external link)
yes, you do clearly have a topic your working on.

For bonus points, anybody, why does this one fit in?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,586 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Sep 05, 2014 16:46 |  #3578

OhLook wrote in post #17137403 (external link)

I would say one reason it fits is the important shape near the center.

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 05, 2014 17:19 |  #3579

IMAGE: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/674/1FR1Ho.jpg

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

ziemowit
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 05, 2014 18:43 |  #3580

OhLook wrote in post #17137403 (external link)

all the triangles?

airfrogusmc
36,586 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 05, 2014 18:54 |  #3581

ziemowit wrote in post #17138061 (external link)
all the triangles?

That too.. :D

airfrogusmc
36,586 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 05, 2014 18:55 |  #3582

elrey2375 wrote in post #17137953 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

32 X 54 on a wall all by itself...

OhLook
19,525 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 05, 2014 23:27 |  #3583

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17137907 (external link)
I would say one reason it fits is the important shape near the center.

ziemowit wrote in post #17138061 (external link)
all the triangles?

I asked as a check on whether I was communicating. It looks like not.

Each image implies human activity without showing it. Specifically, it has implications for the past. A viewer can infer what happened during an interval before the shutter press. The things occupy their locations temporarily, and they're where they are because someone did something. The bag was stored on the rack. The ball was forgotten on the street. The dog was parked on the sidewalk. The store was closed and emptied. The yellow card was posted on the telephone box and later cut off (and the box itself shows abundant signs of age). So, in each case, the image extends back beyond that instant, and in some cases it also extends into the future. We expect the traveler to pick up her bag, the dog owner to collect his dog. The kids may or may not recover their ball. Another business will move into the storefront. The transitoriness of the card on the phone box was exercised before I got there.

I want to say something like "Your past always comes along with you." If, when you look at these images, none of that comes through, they fail as metaphors.

elrey2375 wrote in post #17137953 (external link)
[water drops on dark surface]

Yay! I like it.

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 06, 2014 01:11 |  #3584

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17137171 (external link)
Exactly....Then maybe being a photographer is not the best place for them.

No disagreement there. I'm just saying that (in most cases) it's incredibly insulting and presumptuous to accuse an artist of being dishonest when it's far more likely that he's merely blind and has nothing unique to say. If I present a crappy piece of art, then criticize it on those grounds. But the second that someone looks at my work and tells me that I'm being dishonest, that what I'm presenting isn't the real me, then as far as I'm concerned they can get bent. Unless it's the rare case of that person knowing me deeply on a personal level, then what freaking business do they have telling me that my work doesn't honestly reflect my beliefs, values, attitudes, feelings, vision, or overall view on life? Yes, many people cannot see. Those people tend to be called "blind", not "dishonest".

OhLook
19,525 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 06, 2014 02:04 |  #3585

Clean Gene wrote in post #17138489 (external link)
I'm just saying that (in most cases) it's incredibly insulting and presumptuous to accuse an artist of being dishonest when it's far more likely that he's merely blind and has nothing unique to say.

Did you miss this in one of Z's posts?

ziemowit wrote in post #17137055 (external link)
I think we misunderstood the term 'honesty' here. When I say honest, I don't mean 'don't lie'. I meant dig deep enough in yourself to find what is that you truly and uniquely believe to be worth photographing on a serious level.

I take "uniquely believe" to mean: find and use something that no one else (that you know of) has found and used. So, yes, an artist who "has nothing unique to say" (Gene, your words) can be called dishonest by this definition, but it's not the common meaning of the word.

sponsored links

429,760 views & 102 likes for this thread
Composition and all that Arty stuff - discussion thread.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.