Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Apr 2012 (Wednesday) 08:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Composition and all that Arty stuff - discussion thread.

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
19,500 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 15, 2014 01:53 |  #3631

elrey2375 wrote in post #17154681 (external link)
Maybe it's me, because I took it, but I go right to the triangle made by the two people and the ball. And the people are arranged in a triangle.

There are a lot of triangles all the same shape (flat and pointing left or right). The largest area of grass is a prominent triangle. Two smaller areas of grass (considering the tree shadow as not-grass) are also triangular. The long wall of the building and the receding row of shrubs are truncated triangles that complement each other. All these basically horizontal skinny triangles create a relaxed effect, which could go too far, into dead calm, if the numerous small vertical accents weren't there: trees, posts, people, and the upright whatevers on the side of the building. I think the composition works because of these repetitions of shapes.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

sponsored links
ziemowit
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 15, 2014 03:53 |  #3632

thanks guys,
OL you got it right I think, I was going for the mix of joy and anxiety. All suspended in an abstract space of yet unknown. Kind of :) I think I need a series of images to explore that, we'll see.

website (external link) / flickr (external link) / ello (external link) / twitter (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,553 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Sep 15, 2014 07:16 |  #3633

OhLook wrote in post #17154595 (external link)
I like this arrangement with one exception, the car hood (?) in front, which doesn't seem part of the scene. The degree of blur takes a big jump between that and the next surface.
Okay, but why is all the blue in the bottom row?

Blue is still a primary isn't it? But the splashes of red and the touch of orange at the very edge of the frame mid right side and the oranges (secondary colors) create a wonderful triangle are not that far from his other work. And then there are he red stripes.... Just different subject matter.

OhLook
19,500 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 15, 2014 14:22 |  #3634

ziemowit wrote in post #17154958 (external link)
OL you got it right I think, I was going for the mix of joy and anxiety.

Some stories in the science fiction + fantasy + horror category capitalize on such an incongruity by using a plot that combines items associated with childhood and innocence with evil. One example is the diabolical doll, as in the "Talky Tina" episode of the old Twilight Zone.

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17155107 (external link)
Blue is still a primary isn't it?

I'm not disputing that blue is a primary, I'm only asking about its placement. It isn't sprinkled around like the others.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,811 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 16, 2014 12:23 |  #3635

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17154330 (external link)
I shoot things all the time that don't look like my work.

I think that's awesome, Allen.

I do the same thing. Part of me does it for fun (I just love to shoot!), while the other part of me does it because I think/hope it will make me a better overall photographer, and that it will, ultimately, lead to growth that helps me shoot "my work" in better, more unique ways.

After all, the more things we shoot, in more diverse scenarios, will help us to come to a more thorough understanding of how our camera "sees" things; of how the camera interprets the scenes before us. And the more thoroughly we understand that, the better we are going to be at all of our photographic endeavors.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

ziemowit
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 16, 2014 15:22 |  #3636

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3875/15261272015_df012d3aef_b.jpg

website (external link) / flickr (external link) / ello (external link) / twitter (external link)

OhLook
19,500 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 17, 2014 00:28 |  #3637

Z, I'm sorry, I just don't get that one, except for the color combination. The tall truncated cone in the foreground, we don't have those over here. It looks sort of like an illustration on the sign in the lower left corner; a representation of something for sale?

ziemowit
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 17, 2014 01:12 |  #3638

its a mock up kebab :) photographic mock up on top of that. so its a photo of a photo of grilled dead animals parts, pretty much.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,553 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Sep 17, 2014 08:01 |  #3639

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17158588 (external link)
I think that's awesome, Allen.

I do the same thing. Part of me does it for fun (I just love to shoot!), while the other part of me does it because I think/hope it will make me a better overall photographer, and that it will, ultimately, lead to growth that helps me shoot "my work" in better, more unique ways.

After all, the more things we shoot, in more diverse scenarios, will help us to come to a more thorough understanding of how our camera "sees" things; of how the camera interprets the scenes before us. And the more thoroughly we understand that, the better we are going to be at all of our photographic endeavors.

What I choose to show seriously in say a gallery setting will look like my work. But when I'm on vacation I sometimes become a tourist. If I see a flower or a sunset I might shoot it but i rarely take any of that as serious work. But that doesn't mean I never shoot it. What you choose to show say in a gallery or what you put in a book is as important as what you choose to shoot.

Owain ­ Shaw
Some of my best friends are people.
2,448 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 17, 2014 13:50 |  #3640

I love the kebab shop shot, Z. The photographic mock-up of a kebab kind of highlights everything wrong with the kebaby ... and yet that's their method of advertising. One wonders if the sign also rotates?!

Your colour palette of browns throughout the image helps it along as well, but the subject is key - as always well spotted and photographed in your own particular way.

| New website. (external link) |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

ziemowit
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 17, 2014 14:52 |  #3641

Owain Shaw wrote in post #17161348 (external link)
I love the kebab shop shot, Z. The photographic mock-up of a kebab kind of highlights everything wrong with the kebaby ... and yet that's their method of advertising. One wonders if the sign also rotates?!

Your colour palette of browns throughout the image helps it along as well, but the subject is key - as always well spotted and photographed in your own particular way.

thanks Owain. the absurdity of the whole thinkg struck me hard. and no, it did not rotate.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,811 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 17, 2014 15:33 |  #3642

July 2014 wildfire, taken from my backyard (which eventually burned)
Due to the very low light, I had difficulty with the technicals (image quality), but I wanted to "capture the moment"

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 17, 2014 16:00 |  #3643

Wow, Tom, wow!

I guess if only your backyard burned but not your home and such we should be thankful, but still, Wow...

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

ziemowit
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 17, 2014 16:33 |  #3644

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3869/15267756111_f3acee2e0d_b.jpg

OhLook
19,500 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 17, 2014 19:17 |  #3645

^ Never try to conduct business negotiations on an escalator.

sponsored links

429,424 views & 102 likes for this thread
Composition and all that Arty stuff - discussion thread.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.