Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Apr 2012 (Thursday) 02:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My God, how can people be this stupid?

TeleFragger
Goldmember
3,185 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 05, 2012 12:18 |  #16

it is funny.. cuz i will sometimes see someones face where they are thinking about something.. and i start talking to them.. or if a rep is working with them and i hear garbage.. i talk up.. im a small guy so no size to back me up.. hah... but i tell it the way it is.. and will tell a person...yo he is really lying to ya or he doesnt know what he is talking about..

i have had people think i work at a store and i have even changed peoples minds of going from something cheap to something better..

just the other day in best buy... a guy was looking at the t3i... i walked over and picked up the 7d cuz i have never held it.. he started talking to me.. he asked me what i had and what i thought cuz they sell the t2i too.. i said.. well i saved some money up front to only lust the 7d that I will own... and go figure like usual it will cost me more cuz i didnt get what i should have at first.. guy walked over to the sales guy and said he will take the 7d... now where is my commission?!?!?!?!

GearBag - Feedback****Flickr - my playhouse (external link)****RF-603 Discussion
Canon 7Dm2 Gripped | 32GB Transcend CF | 64GB Toshiba FlashAir | YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8| Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod
if I post a pic.. it is there to be picked on... (I have thick skin.. im in IT)

sponsored links
lankforddl
747 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 05, 2012 12:24 as a reply to  @ TeleFragger's post |  #17

Maybe he was just being a "good salesman" and saying whatever he could to make the sale. ha. (insert sarcastic giggle here)

5DIICAN17-40CAN50CAN85CAN100CAN135CAN70-200

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 05, 2012 23:53 |  #18

I might have considered complaining to the department manager, that is assuming the manager himself knew better, and that he wasn't in some kind of promotional "cahoots" with the sames team...

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Ronny ­ Geenen
125 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 06, 2012 00:20 |  #19

Speaking is silver, but silence is gold!

Jason ­ Paul
387 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 06, 2012 07:59 |  #20

TeleFragger wrote in post #14214966 (external link)
it is funny.. cuz i will sometimes see someones face where they are thinking about something.. and i start talking to them.. or if a rep is working with them and i hear garbage.. i talk up.. im a small guy so no size to back me up.. hah... but i tell it the way it is.. and will tell a person...yo he is really lying to ya or he doesnt know what he is talking about..

i have had people think i work at a store and i have even changed peoples minds of going from something cheap to something better..

just the other day in best buy... a guy was looking at the t3i... i walked over and picked up the 7d cuz i have never held it.. he started talking to me.. he asked me what i had and what i thought cuz they sell the t2i too.. i said.. well i saved some money up front to only lust the 7d that I will own... and go figure like usual it will cost me more cuz i didnt get what i should have at first.. guy walked over to the sales guy and said he will take the 7d... now where is my commission?!?!?!?!

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think the Best Buy folks are on commission anyway. :)

Jason

50D - Canon 60mm Macro - Sigma 30mm - Canon 70-300mm DO IS - Canon 17-85mm IS - Canon 50mm 1.8 II
Flickr (external link)

zrock
191 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 06, 2012 09:31 |  #21

lankforddl wrote in post #14214990 (external link)
Maybe he was just being a "good salesman" and saying whatever he could to make the sale. ha. (insert sarcastic giggle here)

Exactly... Telling the customer what they wanted to hear just to make the sale... i cant stand that. If i don't believe in a product i will tell the customer that. I actually make more sales that way than spitting out BS

Canon T1i
EFS 18-55mm
EFS 55-250mm
430EX II

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 06, 2012 10:06 as a reply to  @ zrock's post |  #22

Genius occurs only a few times per generation. Idiocy abounds.

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 06, 2012 10:12 |  #23

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 06, 2012 10:40 as a reply to  @ DennisW1's post |  #24
bannedPermanent ban

imjason wrote in post #14213044 (external link)
you sure the sales assistant was stupid? you sure he or she wasnt just lying to sell a camera? this is a sales person were talking about here.

watt100 wrote in post #14213201 (external link)
funny how commissions make people say the strangest (stupid?) things !

Comments like these serve no purpose.

I've been a commissioned sales person (not cameras) in the past, and always made sure I was selling the customer the best product for that customer. The commission was secondary. Funny thing is, most of the commissioned sales people I knew in my industry felt exactly the same way.

I often ran into "that customer"; the guy who felt he knew my industry, and knew how much the product cost our store, and was resolved in that he wouldn't pay a fair price for it.

These customers, almost to a man, were shown the door. I didn't want a customer like that...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

CSMFoto
Goldmember
1,178 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 06, 2012 10:59 |  #25

*Rant* Initiate!

People are idiots and quite frankly uneducated regardless of how high their higher education(if any) "degree" goes. I don't find many people(even myself at times) to be that knowledgeable but this? This is why people don't want to pay top dollar for weddings. They have NO concept of what goes into a photograph other than, "buy some **** and snap away", not to mention there is a flood of people who CLAIM they know(also myself at times) that idiots believe and get **** products and stoop their standards lower.

Tsk tsk Mr. Box Store Floor Representative.

Facebook (external link) | CSM Photography (external link) | Gear
I got some camera's & lens'.

Patrick
596 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 07, 2012 09:41 as a reply to  @ CSMFoto's post |  #26

I always help fellow shoppers when they get bad advice or wrong information from a sales person. It feels good to help people and I also get a personal feeling of joy in pointing out the ignorance of self proclaimed authorities. Preferably in front of the customer.

At the local Walmart a customer was looking for speakers for his new home theater system. The sales person directed him to a set of surround sound speakers with 3.5mm jacks for a computer. He had the $100 speakers in his cart and a smile on his face. After talking with him for just a couple of minutes about his setup he realized how completely wrong the clerk was in his advice. He then decided to go somewhere else and look around. At least he knows what he's looking for now.

Bodies, Lenses, Lights, Stands, Transmitters, Receivers, Tripods, Meters, etc...

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 07, 2012 10:54 |  #27
bannedPermanent ban

Patrick wrote in post #14225025 (external link)
At the local Walmart a customer was looking for speakers for his new home theater system. The sales person directed him to a set of surround sound speakers with 3.5mm jacks for a computer. He had the $100 speakers in his cart and a smile on his face. After talking with him for just a couple of minutes about his setup he realized how completely wrong the clerk was in his advice. He then decided to go somewhere else and look around. At least he knows what he's looking for now.

Quite honestly, there's no reason to believe some random shopper in Wal-Mart any more than there is to believe the Wal-Mart guy.

In fact, there's probably less...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

Patrick
596 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 07, 2012 12:06 |  #28

BreitlingFan wrote in post #14225337 (external link)
Quite honestly, there's no reason to believe some random shopper in Wal-Mart any more than there is to believe the Wal-Mart guy.

In fact, there's probably less...

I never said there was a reason to believe one over the other.
They can take it or leave it. Doesn't matter to me either way. I was just offering assistance. :rolleyes:

Bodies, Lenses, Lights, Stands, Transmitters, Receivers, Tripods, Meters, etc...

Tom_D
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 07, 2012 18:50 |  #29

BaghdadFred wrote in post #14213003 (external link)
That's why "P" mode stands for Professional :lol:

Professional? I'm a professional?

Gallery (external link)
7DMkII, 40D, 17-55, 70-200 f/2.8 IS and more...
More Wag, Less Bark

BoysClub
30 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 07, 2012 19:30 |  #30

Sounds like a typical camera salesman...

sponsored links

6,866 views & 0 likes for this thread
My God, how can people be this stupid?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.