Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 07 Apr 2012 (Saturday) 22:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What are some of the worst professional photos you have seen?

charles.mabry
155 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 15, 2012 20:51 |  #31

OMG that website is awesome! In my current city we have an overwhelming amount of fauxtographers. Every Marine Corps wife runs to Best Buy to pick up their "professional" rebel and snap shots that are exactly the same as on the site listed above. BUT... the photographers here give cd's with release forms so you know they're legit.... right? Saturation? Yes please!

ctmphotovideo.com
Bodies: Canon 5dmkii, Canon 7d
Lenses:Canon 50mm, Canon 24-70mm, Canon 70-200
Rig: Proaim 6inch dslr cage with mattebox, 7inch LCD screen, $50 follow focus, misc audio. NANO DSLR "steadycam"

sponsored links
Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 16, 2012 01:30 as a reply to  @ post 14248951 |  #32

I see bad professional photography all the time, but it's honestly not something that I have the patience to be bothered with.

I concern myself with me, what other people do isn't my business.

We can all laugh about how lame Vanilla Ice is, We can joke all day about how he didn't deserve a single dollar of his money and about how Suge Knight allegedly nearly murdered his ass in public while crowds of spectators thought that whole ordeal was hilarious as hell.

And yes, that's fine. And it is very funny.

But that humor is rooted in something very compelling and yet about 90% bull****. The idea that "this person sucks and doesn't deserve what he's achieved. That's a crime, given that there are so many other more deserving people who should have been in his place. Also, if anyone should get dropped off of the top of a tall building, then Vanilla Ice would indeed probably be one of the more hilarious candidates." It's always fun to laugh at the incompetent dude, but why exactly is that entertaining and fun? I know lots of people who like to laugh at Michael Bay, but what exactly do I have to laugh at him about? The guys from South Park can make fun of how horrible he is, while he still continues to be VERY successful at being a professional filmmaker.

But do his movies SUCK? But people want to see them. He sells movie tickets like a ****er****er. That's what he does. He's not an artis. He's no supposed to be one. As much fun as people like to make of the Michael Bays and the Justin Biebers and the Metallicas, that's all born out of the notion that "this **** should fit into MY conception of the art form. Anyone who does it differently is doing it wrong."

To laugh at bad professional photos is to assume that the photographers actually CARE if their pictures are good. And honestl;y, why would they? "Professional" and "good" are not inherently the same thing, and never have been.

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 16, 2012 05:13 |  #33
bannedPermanent ban

dawnwithacamera wrote in post #14268809 (external link)
Sometimes the people/celebs on the CNN site still have red eyes. I mean come-on you can't take 2 minutes to clean that up before you post the story???

There are certain things in photojournalism you can't do, and removing things is one of them. Adding things to the photo (story) is another

dgoakill
289 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 16, 2012 09:27 |  #34

Clean Gene wrote in post #14273057 (external link)
To laugh at bad professional photos is to assume that the photographers actually CARE if their pictures are good. And honestl;y, why would they? "Professional" and "good" are not inherently the same thing, and never have been.

To me it matters (and this coming from someone who is not a professional) in that taking money from people and delivering sub standard work is unacceptable. Undercutting the competition and charging insanely low prices to deliver substandard work hurts the industry as a whole.

Granted not all photographers are effected by this, as stated earlier, it's mostly the family portrait, kids, kids sports, wedding, etc photogs that this hurts the most.

Gear: Camera & Computer
Portfolio (external link) : YouPic (external link) : Blog (external link)
Instagram (external link)

Bosscat
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 16, 2012 10:32 |  #35

dgoakill wrote in post #14274169 (external link)
To me it matters (and this coming from someone who is not a professional) in that taking money from people and delivering sub standard work is unacceptable. Undercutting the competition and charging insanely low prices to deliver substandard work hurts the industry as a whole.

Its like going to a restaurant, ordering a meal and then eating it, despite everything being half cooked. I doubt many would accept that, nor would they accept many other things being sub-par.

People USED TO have pride in a craft......today not near as many seem to.

Your camera is alot smarter than the "M" Zealots would have you believe

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 16, 2012 15:41 |  #36

When I was growing up, my mom did most of the cooking at home.

Occasionally, though, my parents took us to a "nice restaurant", where they spent the money for a "nice meal" that, as expected, went a level beyond our normal day-to-day fare.

But more common was when my dad stopped at a fast-food place for inexpensive quick "burgers and fries", and we were pretty happy!

Now, that was in the '50s before MacDonalds came out and created the "Fast Foods Industry", but the same thing applies today. If you want "good food" and are willing and able to pay the price, you can go to a "restaurant" with known good food! Yay!

But we know that a short distance away, there will be a McD's or other fast-food place where you can walk in and grab a quick inexpensive meal.

And, decades later, there are still "nice restaurants", ones that have earned a good reputation because of the quality of their food and the service they provide...

I'd say that's a pretty good analogy here! Don't "dis" the fast food (photo) places, especially if you ever, ever use one! They provide a needed service, but if you want a "good" meal (photo shoot) then you know there is one in your area -- they will charge more, but with good results and good service!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,696 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 16, 2012 15:58 |  #37

I was just going to post this Tony, in an almost exact way. Not everyone can afford Ruth's Chris Steakhouse but those people still want to eat steak. Therefore, Denny's offers steak on the menu. (No offence Denny's. Sometimes, I DO want fried appetizers at 3am)

Shane
flickr (external link)

dgoakill
289 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 17, 2012 10:44 |  #38

tonylong wrote in post #14276208 (external link)
When I was growing up, my mom did most of the cooking at home.

Occasionally, though, my parents took us to a "nice restaurant", where they spent the money for a "nice meal" that, as expected, went a level beyond our normal day-to-day fare.

But more common was when my dad stopped at a fast-food place for inexpensive quick "burgers and fries", and we were pretty happy!

Now, that was in the '50s before MacDonalds came out and created the "Fast Foods Industry", but the same thing applies today. If you want "good food" and are willing and able to pay the price, you can go to a "restaurant" with known good food! Yay!

But we know that a short distance away, there will be a McD's or other fast-food place where you can walk in and grab a quick inexpensive meal.

And, decades later, there are still "nice restaurants", ones that have earned a good reputation because of the quality of their food and the service they provide...

I'd say that's a pretty good analogy here! Don't "dis" the fast food (photo) places, especially if you ever, ever use one! They provide a needed service, but if you want a "good" meal (photo shoot) then you know there is one in your area -- they will charge more, but with good results and good service!

Yes but you, (your pallet) can tell the difference between the two meals. What seems to be happening is that simply bad photography is being accepted as good because those hiring/buying (consuming - to keep with your analogy) can't tell the difference. The average person isn't going to notice blown highlights or over saturation. They may not recognize awkward poses or poses that make them actually look worse.

So bad becomes acceptable.......which then makes it harder to see the value in the higher end photog's work. Plus there's a lot of behind the scenes work that a true pro is going to have in place. Backup bodies, replication of backups for the images themselves, Insurance, etc. that the cheaper lesser quality photogs don't have because A. they can't afford it at the low prices they charge, or B. they don't know enough to know they need that to be reliable.

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,696 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 17, 2012 10:54 |  #39

Here is a link! These are terrible. www.reighardphotograph​y.com (external link)

(let my google analyitcs go crazy)

Shane
flickr (external link)

dgoakill
289 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 17, 2012 11:08 |  #40

JakAHearts wrote in post #14280906 (external link)
Here is a link! These are terrible. www.reighardphotograph​y.com (external link)

They're very good! Perfect example actually of someone who knows what they are doing. your child shots on the grass have the white balance corrected. Search Facebook for "pro" photographers and look at their shots taken on green grass........their subjects look like they are at death's door, -zombies!

Bosscat
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 17, 2012 11:37 |  #41

dgoakill wrote in post #14280849 (external link)
What seems to be happening is that simply bad photography is being accepted as good because those hiring/buying (consuming - to keep with your analogy) can't tell the difference. The average person isn't going to notice blown highlights or over saturation. They may not recognize awkward poses or poses that make them actually look worse.

So bad becomes acceptable.......which then makes it harder to see the value in the higher end photog's work. Plus there's a lot of behind the scenes work that a true pro is going to have in place. Backup bodies, replication of backups for the images themselves, Insurance, etc. that the cheaper lesser quality photogs don't have because A. they can't afford it at the low prices they charge, or B. they don't know enough to know they need that to be reliable.

Exactly.

The consumer doesn't really know anything other then price, since to them they are both "X" sized print, yet one can be a techincal masterpiece and the other a technical disaster, but to the consumer its simple dollars and cents.

Your camera is alot smarter than the "M" Zealots would have you believe

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 17, 2012 14:10 |  #42

dgoakill wrote in post #14280849 (external link)
Yes but you, (your pallet) can tell the difference between the two meals.

Not everybody can. I have a buddy that says he doesn't care what he eats, as long as he gets full. A five-star gourmet dinner or a three-dollar sandwich, he doesn't really have a preference... in fact, he'd probably take the sandwich because he doesn't have to put on a clean pair of slacks to eat it.

He's not the target client for the five-star restaurant.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 17, 2012 14:28 |  #43

JakAHearts wrote in post #14280906 (external link)

Yeah those are pretty bad. And the website is atrocious as well.

Gear List

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,696 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 17, 2012 14:49 |  #44

dgoakill wrote in post #14280979 (external link)
They're very good! Perfect example actually of someone who knows what they are doing. your child shots on the grass have the white balance corrected. Search Facebook for "pro" photographers and look at their shots taken on green grass........their subjects look like they are at death's door, -zombies!

Numenorean wrote in post #14281944 (external link)
Yeah those are pretty bad. And the website is atrocious as well.

See, even photographers cant agree. :lol: I agree though, the site is sub par.

Shane
flickr (external link)

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 18, 2012 00:55 |  #45

Bosscat wrote in post #14274505 (external link)
Its like going to a restaurant, ordering a meal and then eating it, despite everything being half cooked. I doubt many would accept that, nor would they accept many other things being sub-par.

People USED TO have pride in a craft......today not near as many seem to.

Except that people DO go to restaurants, eat garbage, and then are happy enough to go back.

If you thought the meal sucked, why would you eat it in the first place? Most people who aren't just cheapskates looking to get free food would actually send the food back, rather than eat the whole thing, and THEN complain to management after it was apparently good enough for them to eat.

I've never been a good critic of ANYTHING good, wqhether it's music, food, photography, or etc.

But yeah... I've ordered food from places and gotten served crap. I then asked for a refund, sent the food back. I don;'t eat **** that doesn't suit my tastes, but that doesn't mean that what they're doing is "wrong". I hate McDonalds. Their food sucks. I don't eat there. And that really means about NOTHING, since enough people apparently like their food to make that pretty much the #1 restaurant chain on the planet.

sponsored links

13,624 views & 0 likes for this thread
What are some of the worst professional photos you have seen?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.