Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 07 Apr 2012 (Saturday) 22:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What are some of the worst professional photos you have seen?

Geonerd
541 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 20, 2012 17:00 |  #61

JDPhotoGuy wrote in post #14300074 (external link)
lolololol! Curse you for that! The file loaded... and that Honda Odyssey Commercial flashed through my head... and now I have that Judas Priest song looping around in my brain.... -_-  :p

That's seriously a great shot worthy of screen printing onto any Nascar fan's shirt as a background for his favorite driver's car... how dare you! LMAO

*sigh* I take that back.. It's an affront to Nascar fans.. lololol

Oh, dear. I've not seen the ad. Did Honda use this very picture?

Sorry! (Well, a little... :D )

"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk!" - E. Weston

sponsored links
NavyShrink
259 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 20, 2012 17:39 |  #62

It's fun to make fun of other people's work, isn't it?
Everyone having fun here?
This is the ugly side of POTN, and I don't much care for it.

5DII x2 | 7D | 17-40L | 35L | Σ 50 | 85L | 135L | 70-200L IS II | Fuji X100

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,696 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 20, 2012 17:45 |  #63

NavyShrink wrote in post #14300299 (external link)

Dont fret. I posted my own site! ;)

Shane
flickr (external link)

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 20, 2012 18:04 |  #64
bannedPermanent ban

I don't laugh at others whether it is amateur or pro, its all about tastes, yes, but its human "nature" to laugh, and it is damn ugly to sneer at other photographers' work

NavyShrink
259 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 20, 2012 18:32 |  #65

Someone on this thread posted a link to another photographer's website, and criticized his work. I just think this sort of thing is petty, immature, and mean-spirited.

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,696 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 20, 2012 18:43 |  #66

JakAHearts wrote in post #14280906 (external link)
Here is a link! These are terrible. www.reighardphotograph​y.com (external link)

(let my google analyitcs go crazy)

Numenorean wrote in post #14281944 (external link)
Yeah those are pretty bad. And the website is atrocious as well.

dgoakill wrote in post #14280979 (external link)
They're very good! Perfect example actually of someone who knows what they are doing. your child shots on the grass have the white balance corrected. Search Facebook for "pro" photographers and look at their shots taken on green grass........their subjects look like they are at death's door, -zombies!

JakAHearts wrote in post #14282053 (external link)
See, even photographers cant agree. :lol: I agree though, the site is sub par.

Are you referring to this? That was me, posting my site. I dont think the shots are "terrible" but he is certainly entitled think so, just as I am entitled to think a lot of other people are charging good money for photography when they should still be learning the difference between aperture and shutter speed. And I agree with Numenorean, my site is a hot mess. I had plans for it but decided Id rather spend time with my son than try to take on some clients.

Shane
flickr (external link)

NavyShrink
259 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 20, 2012 18:52 |  #67

No, it was another post I saw...but this is certainly in the same vein.

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,696 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 20, 2012 19:13 |  #68

Its all good. Id have to sell all my stuff if I had perfect shots.

Shane
flickr (external link)

Bosscat
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 20, 2012 21:07 |  #69

Well, I have had some pretty sad photographers, that can barely get an infocus shot of a stationary subject, let alone a moving target, run around telling customers, other togs and the guy that does my printing that I have to take a lot of shots to get that one, since I shoot in three shot bursts. I have stood next to some of the best pro togs in motorsports that will fire like a machine gun. This isn't marksmanship, its about the end result, however you get there.

I don't care if you shoot of a tripod, monopod or handheld, all I care about is seeing pictures that make me want to stay awhile and have a look around, not running for the door screaming I wasted my time.

I am sure many others here feel the same way.

Your camera is alot smarter than the "M" Zealots would have you believe

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 21, 2012 03:51 |  #70
bannedPermanent ban

NavyShrink wrote in post #14300496 (external link)
Someone on this thread posted a link to another photographer's website, and criticized his work. I just think this sort of thing is petty, immature, and mean-spirited.

Sh*t happens apparently. I don't laugh, I try learn from them even though I wouldn't call it a good photo (my taste, nothing more).

JDPhotoGuy
294 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 21, 2012 07:26 |  #71

NavyShrink wrote in post #14300581 (external link)
No, it was another post I saw...but this is certainly in the same vein.

Prob some of the stuff I said. You should hear me talk about my own work. :rolleyes:

I really never criticize any photography. After all, a crappy shot can be really cool if it there's a bit of science or technological trickery at play. It's like the novelty of stringing two tin cans together and talking to your kids through them. Does the audio quality suck? Well sure, but for what it is, it's really awesome!

Where these people are opening themselves up for criticism is where they call it "fine art" or place it in a gallery making it a representation of themselves as professionals providing a service to the public... and as we all know fine art is a matter of personal taste. Most times, people either love it or hate it. It's just the nature of the business - so if you're going to do "artistic" shots that are supposed to convey feeling, emotion, or a message then you'd better go ahead and expect it to be criticized harshly and often. Just how it goes. What makes it worthwhile are those who like it. If someone tells me my artsy stuff is crap I ask "why?" Not to argue, but to see if from their point of view. I'll either disagree and chalk it up to personal differences in taste, or see what they're saying, agree with them, and better myself for it.

What makes this criticism okay is the fact that these people are offering these levels of photography as a service and calling it professional. For money... Notice we're not going around just everywhere pulling "bad photos" off people's wall feeds. :) This is no different than reviewing a bad product on Amazon and saying "horrible product! cheap and does not function as expected!" Now no one says "awww.. poor product engineer.. stop hurting his feelings!!.." See where I'm going with this? :) Anyone doing this professionally or even thinking about it sure better learn to separate themselves from their work. If someone can't, then they'd best keep it a hobby because it will ruin it for them for sure.

I see a lot of this actually, and it probably is what's driving this thread a bit. Anyone mad at all the green box soccer moms out there starting to sell their snapshots and competing with the rest of us has already lost half the battle. Those of you that applies to please stop: you're fighting mad and the number one rule of fighting is "If you get mad, you will lose." That's why boxers will talk trash before fights. They try to make it personal so the other person will get mad. When you get mad your vision tunnels and your lose the ability to analyze your current situation and make clear decisions. That said, I think this thread is a healthy "venting" session and oasis for those struggling in the business due to heavy lackluster competition. Especially for those who only find out they got underbid without seeing the results. If they can remember this thread and say "this is what they're going to get instead of the quality I offer" then it's been of value. :D

Of course, this is just how I feel about it. You can call me mean and cruel and I'll hear honest and consistent. Won't hurt my feelings in the least. I'm of the camp that would like to see things a LOT less politically correct. Please, flame away. It makes us all better. We see what smiling and saying "oh you're so talented!" gets us: Those first few weeks of American Idol where all those thousands of horrible singers can't understand why they weren't selected. Are you really happy with the world that creates? Grown men in their 20s crying like babies when they encounter real honesty? I cry for them too. God knows how much energy they've wasted pursuing something because their mamas told them they were great when they could have been finding their true calling. That is the real tragedy of the situation.

Yes, I have severe Equipment Deficiency. No, the pills don't fix it.

AbPho
Goldmember
3,165 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 21, 2012 10:43 as a reply to  @ post 14284918 |  #72

I wonder then a link will get posted to belongs to one of the POTN users. :lol:

JakAHearts wrote in post #14300314 (external link)
Dont fret. I posted my own site! ;)

I guess it already happened. That is the link that was getting mixed comments. Too funny.

I'm in Canada. Isn't that weird!

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 22, 2012 19:31 |  #73
bannedPermanent ban

JDPhotoGuy wrote in post #14302541 (external link)
Prob some of the stuff I said. You should hear me talk about my own work. :rolleyes:

I really never criticize any photography. After all, a crappy shot can be really cool if it there's a bit of science or technological trickery at play. It's like the novelty of stringing two tin cans together and talking to your kids through them. Does the audio quality suck? Well sure, but for what it is, it's really awesome!

Where these people are opening themselves up for criticism is where they call it "fine art" or place it in a gallery making it a representation of themselves as professionals providing a service to the public... and as we all know fine art is a matter of personal taste. Most times, people either love it or hate it. It's just the nature of the business - so if you're going to do "artistic" shots that are supposed to convey feeling, emotion, or a message then you'd better go ahead and expect it to be criticized harshly and often. Just how it goes. What makes it worthwhile are those who like it. If someone tells me my artsy stuff is crap I ask "why?" Not to argue, but to see if from their point of view. I'll either disagree and chalk it up to personal differences in taste, or see what they're saying, agree with them, and better myself for it.

What makes this criticism okay is the fact that these people are offering these levels of photography as a service and calling it professional. For money... Notice we're not going around just everywhere pulling "bad photos" off people's wall feeds. :) This is no different than reviewing a bad product on Amazon and saying "horrible product! cheap and does not function as expected!" Now no one says "awww.. poor product engineer.. stop hurting his feelings!!.." See where I'm going with this? :) Anyone doing this professionally or even thinking about it sure better learn to separate themselves from their work. If someone can't, then they'd best keep it a hobby because it will ruin it for them for sure.

I see a lot of this actually, and it probably is what's driving this thread a bit. Anyone mad at all the green box soccer moms out there starting to sell their snapshots and competing with the rest of us has already lost half the battle. Those of you that applies to please stop: you're fighting mad and the number one rule of fighting is "If you get mad, you will lose." That's why boxers will talk trash before fights. They try to make it personal so the other person will get mad. When you get mad your vision tunnels and your lose the ability to analyze your current situation and make clear decisions. That said, I think this thread is a healthy "venting" session and oasis for those struggling in the business due to heavy lackluster competition. Especially for those who only find out they got underbid without seeing the results. If they can remember this thread and say "this is what they're going to get instead of the quality I offer" then it's been of value. :D

Of course, this is just how I feel about it. You can call me mean and cruel and I'll hear honest and consistent. Won't hurt my feelings in the least. I'm of the camp that would like to see things a LOT less politically correct. Please, flame away. It makes us all better. We see what smiling and saying "oh you're so talented!" gets us: Those first few weeks of American Idol where all those thousands of horrible singers can't understand why they weren't selected. Are you really happy with the world that creates? Grown men in their 20s crying like babies when they encounter real honesty? I cry for them too. God knows how much energy they've wasted pursuing something because their mamas told them they were great when they could have been finding their true calling. That is the real tragedy of the situation.

To each their own, even if you don't shoot for money, you should at least try to improve your works. You should be self conscious enough to know that your work sucks and what should you do about them. I have known a local "photog" who has been shooting my type of subject for close to a year. On a good day with good lighting, she could only produce cell phone quality photos. On a bad day with horrible lighting condition, she was like shooting blindfolded. FYI, she was shooting with a 5dmarkII and a 85L. She has like 400 Likes on FB. :) Why not, she shoots for free. However, she is getting the wrong impression about her works.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

JersFocus
572 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 22, 2012 20:32 |  #74

facebook.com

Gear & Feedback
Go Oilers!

JersFocus
572 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 22, 2012 20:37 |  #75

mclldavidson wrote in post #14227905 (external link)
I saw this thread on another board and was cringing at some of the photos, awkwardfamilyphotos was one of the links and there are some "professional/studio" pics on there that are so bad it is unreal. It seems like every other person with a dslr thinks they can be a pro

Think is, they can.

I have seen people with 20 years experience that have the imagination of a plank of wood and the technical skills of a 5 year old. Then there are people that are pretty new, that have amazing vision.

Its all relative IMHO...just like many other trades/passions/hobbie​s/jobs.

Gear & Feedback
Go Oilers!

sponsored links

13,619 views & 0 likes for this thread
What are some of the worst professional photos you have seen?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.