Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 07 Apr 2012 (Saturday) 22:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What are some of the worst professional photos you have seen?

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,733 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 22, 2012 20:47 |  #76

LoL Now Ive had people from around the world visit my horrid site. I feel cool. :D

Shane
flickr (external link)

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 23, 2012 23:48 |  #77

dgoakill wrote in post #14280849 (external link)
Yes but you, (your pallet) can tell the difference between the two meals. What seems to be happening is that simply bad photography is being accepted as good because those hiring/buying (consuming - to keep with your analogy) can't tell the difference. The average person isn't going to notice blown highlights or over saturation. They may not recognize awkward poses or poses that make them actually look worse.

So bad becomes acceptable.......which then makes it harder to see the value in the higher end photog's work. Plus there's a lot of behind the scenes work that a true pro is going to have in place. Backup bodies, replication of backups for the images themselves, Insurance, etc. that the cheaper lesser quality photogs don't have because A. they can't afford it at the low prices they charge, or B. they don't know enough to know they need that to be reliable.

I hate to say this, I really do. But if customers can't even tell the difference between good work and mediocre run-of-the-mill work, then the extra "quality" that goes into the superior work isn't exactly WORTH much, is it?

If "bad" has become "acceptable" to so many people, then the "good" photographer (or good ANYTHING) needs to try damn sure to try to make an impression on the few people who DO appreciate the quality of his work. If he wants the "McDonalds customers" of the photography world to pay more for his work, then he needs to do an extra damn good job of showing them exactly WHY they should pony up the extra money.

But "quality" isn't exactly "worth" anything (in monetary terms) unless people are willing to pay for it. McDonalds doesn't make good food and Vanilla Ice didn't make good music. But they did (at least for a short time, in certain cases) give customers exactly what they wanted. That does not bother me at all. If anything, I welcome that. As I've previously said, the ubiquity of photography means that any incompetent jackass can try it out, and that many incompetent jackasses will actually make money off of it while far better photographers suffer in poverty. That is good. The competetition is fiercer now than it's probably ever been. And that means two things. Firstly, now photography is in the hands of EVERYONE. As someone who loves photography, how could I possibly have a problem with that? And secondly, this means that the "good" photographers who are getting undercut and driven out of business by the amateurs really need to step up their game. Because if ANY "good" photographer is struggling because amateurs are taking his business away, then he needs to realize this...being a "pro" does not gurantee business in a time when ANYONE can be a pro. If the hack with a camera is taking away the good photographer's business, then the good photographer needs to ADAPT or die. That might entail changing the business model to cater to more upscale clientele. That might require finding ways to lower his costs so that he can compete with his direct competetors. Or maybe it's just time to realize that the quality that was being provided simply isn't worth very much, if former customers are willing to go to the crappy amateur so quickly.

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 24, 2012 00:15 |  #78

nathancarter wrote in post #14281851 (external link)
Not everybody can. I have a buddy that says he doesn't care what he eats, as long as he gets full. A five-star gourmet dinner or a three-dollar sandwich, he doesn't really have a preference... in fact, he'd probably take the sandwich because he doesn't have to put on a clean pair of slacks to eat it.

He's not the target client for the five-star restaurant.

There you go.

If you're a great photographer and you're going out of business because of hacks with a camera suddenly competing with you, then there's likely one of two things happening here...

1) You're targetting the wrong clientelle, and should try to change your business model in order to target those who CAN tell the difference between Fast Food Crap and a nice high quality dinner. That or...

2) Maybe you're really NOT so much better than that hack that's taking away your business. Maybe you SHOULD go out of business, as the quality of your work clearly isn't worth what you need clients to pay.

We can sitr here all day and blame the dumbass customers or the dunbass photography n00bs for ruining the business, but they're just doing what everyone else does. To maximize their returns for as little investment as possible.

Bottom line...there are a LOT of people into photography now. We're going to end up seeing some of the best photography that's ever been made. The downside is that it's going to become increasingly hard for people to get their dream jobs (and in some cases, ANY job) because the competition has now become nearly everyone on the planet.

Like it or not, this is now sort of a glamour job along the lines of "football star", "drug kingpin", or "Oscar winning Hollywood actor". So at that point...yeah. That's not to say that we should all give up photography. Hell...I'm fat and 35, and I still play football or volleyball with friends. I also have absolutely no expectation of ever earning any money doing that professionally.

To those who DO want to do photography professionally, and to compete with the billions of armchair photographers who are now viable competetors, I'd offer this advice. Make sure that you're DAMN good, and that market your work to people who can appreciate how good it is. Either that, or get real good at learning how to get people to buy garbage. Because today "good pictures" are worth approximately "nothing". ALL pictures are worth approximately "nothing", since there's absolutely no scarcity of them whatsoever. And because, as stated, "customers can't tell the difference between quality and crap". If this is even a problem, then it's a problem that the GOOD photographers need to fix. THEY are the ones who need to keep reminding everyone of how much their work is worth.

And if they can't do that, then it's really not worth much at all.

JDPhotoGuy
294 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 24, 2012 05:45 |  #79

Gene, you get it where most don't. I'm glad to see someone who understands!

People it's called running a business. Not running a photography.

If you're not savvy with the first, being good at the second doesn't mean a hill of beans.

Yes, I have severe Equipment Deficiency. No, the pills don't fix it.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

14,338 views & 0 likes for this thread
What are some of the worst professional photos you have seen?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.