Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 10 Apr 2012 (Tuesday) 00:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Main differences and features between LR 3 and 4 ?

mlech
305 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 10, 2012 00:49 |  #1

Last vesion of lightroom I used was 3.5, haven't been using it for a couple months, got a new computer and now have lightroom 4. Just trying to get adjusted to it.

I know its been probably discussed but can't really find any conversations on it. I'm just trying to figure out the main differences in the editing between the two versions?

The biggest one I can notice is the clairity adjustment is a lot more drastic, but I find it pretty helpful. Anything else? I know the layout is a bit different but everything seems the same ?

FACEBOOK PAGE (external link)
FLICKR (external link)

sponsored links
Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 10, 2012 00:55 |  #2

Lots of posts about LR4 here on the forum.

The biggest difference I've seen is the process going to 2012. It makes some very obvious slider changes through the Develop process.

Also Book module and Map module have been added along with Softproofing. A monitor compensation function in the Print module is also new.

Just a few of many changes I've seen from LR3.6.

Check out - http://tv.adobe.com …whats-new-in-lightroom-4/ (external link)

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,481 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 10, 2012 04:36 |  #3

Hmm, the forum search function must be broken. Here are a couple that a search would have turned up:
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1166275

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1170854
Post #9.

Elie / אלי

Gweebs
321 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 10, 2012 04:58 |  #4

The main difference between the Lightrooms are the process 2010 - 2012.

They updated/changed the formula and math behind it. Giving you better control over the highlights and shadows. Ultimately giving you better photo's.

As already mentions the Book and Map modules are new. I personally can live without the Map module, but the Book module has lots of potential.

Another resource that I don't think people use a lot of are podcasts on iTunes. There are loads of short vid's that are worth watching and talk you through the software.

Canon 5D IV & 5D III - Panasonic G9
Flickr (external link) - Portfolio (external link) - Purpleport (external link)
Why not take a look and join my Flickr Group Flickr - Stand out of the crowd!!! (external link)

aepoc
438 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 10, 2012 07:06 |  #5

2012 process version is superior to the 2010 process version. Download LR4 and give it a spin.

Canon 7D+grip, 40D+grip, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 60mm f/2.8, Canon 28mm f/1.8, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 430ex flash, Canon 430ex II flash
aepoc.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
my blog (external link)

riotshield
425 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 10, 2012 07:51 as a reply to  @ aepoc's post |  #6

I downloaded the trial LR4 when it was in beta and was disappointed by its sluggishness (on an i7-2600). I've been debating whether to buy the upgrade but will probably wait until they iron that out. I've seen comparison photos between LR3 and LR4 and while LR4 does a better job recovering highlights, it wasn't immediately apparent to me until I stared at both photos for a while.

pknight
Goldmember
2,675 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 10, 2012 17:13 as a reply to  @ riotshield's post |  #7

I hear your concerns about sluggishness. The LR 4 beta never worked for me. I endend up with quite a long email exchange, over several weeks, with Julie Kmoch, one of the Adobe managers for LR. The thing would crash, seeming to hang when loading previews, whenever I performed certain edits, or eventually no matter what I did.

This was on a computer that had no problems with CS5, LR 3.6, Photomatix, etc. It was 32-bit Windows 7 with 4 gigs and dual processors. Out of frustration I decided that it was time to boost the machine and upgraded to 64-bit and 12 gigs. No problems since then, and everything runs more quickly and smoothly.

Adobe never did figure out what was going on, since the original configuration was well within the specs for LR4. However, LR4 is a considerably larger program on the HD, and it seems to be more resource hungry.

Digital EOS 7D Mark II Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 10, 2012 19:06 |  #8

pknight wrote in post #14243624 (external link)
This was on a computer that had no problems with CS5, LR 3.6, Photomatix, etc. It was 32-bit Windows 7 with 4 gigs and dual processors. Out of frustration I decided that it was time to boost the machine and upgraded to 64-bit and 12 gigs. No problems since then, and everything runs more quickly and smoothly.

Same here, I got a desktop computer after upgrading my Core2duo laptop to LR4 and was constantly frustrated. I now have an i7 desktop with 12GB ram, and I am LOVING EVERYTHING!

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

aepoc
438 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 11, 2012 06:23 |  #9

The LR 4.1 Release Candidate patch update has solved the sluggishness issues that I was having on my six-core, Win7 64-bit, 16gigs of RAM, and dual monitors. Even with that monster of a system the initial install of LR4 had major slowdown issues, and resource hogging. With 4.1 it's definitely better.

Canon 7D+grip, 40D+grip, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 60mm f/2.8, Canon 28mm f/1.8, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 430ex flash, Canon 430ex II flash
flickr (external link)
my blog (external link)

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 11, 2012 06:46 |  #10

aepoc wrote in post #14246421 (external link)
The LR 4.1 Release Candidate patch update has solved the sluggishness issues that I was having on my six-core, Win7 64-bit, 16gigs of RAM, and dual monitors. Even with that monster of a system the initial install of LR4 had major slowdown issues, and resource hogging. With 4.1 it's definitely better.

I am not using the RC. I am using LR4.0. I have dual monitors as well. This is a fresh install though, and I bumped up the cache size to something like 12GB. I do not know what else is different from you.

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

aepoc
438 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 12, 2012 06:29 |  #11

professorman wrote in post #14246469 (external link)
I am not using the RC. I am using LR4.0. I have dual monitors as well. This is a fresh install though, and I bumped up the cache size to something like 12GB. I do not know what else is different from you.

Very interesting indeed. I'll have to double-check my cache... I think I may have mine set to 10.

flickr (external link)
my blog (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,481 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 12, 2012 07:12 |  #12

aepoc wrote in post #14252382 (external link)
Very interesting indeed. I'll have to double-check my cache... I think I may have mine set to 10.

I would recommend at least 30 GB for the ACR cache.

Elie / אלי

sponsored links

1,351 views & 0 likes for this thread
Main differences and features between LR 3 and 4 ?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.