Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 10 Apr 2012 (Tuesday) 21:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mobile editing and storage question

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 10, 2012 21:12 |  #1

I was wondering what process fellow POTNers use when editing at home and on the go?
Currently my MBP is my workhouse and I use a Seagate Goflex Portable Hard Drive as my Current working project editing hard drive to free up space on my MPB, but both are starting to fill up fast since I shoot weddings doing both Photo and DSLR video.
I am looking into ways to improve my workflow and editing speed and one thing I am considering is getting a HD that requires AC power, since it seems as if thats the only way to get a HD that is high capacity and spins at 7200rpms which is helpful with video and photo editing. The only thing is I am use to the convenience of being able to edit anywhere I want with my Seagate Hard Drive.
Btw, I have plenty on external hard drives that I backup everything on.

What methods do you all use to edit at home and on the go?

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 10, 2012 21:22 |  #2

You know, when I had a laptop that I used for a "portable workstation" I custom-ordered it to among other things have a dedicated internal "data drive".

If I just had a laptop with one internal drive and I was trying to use it "in the field", well, I'd probably do like you but use as much of my internal drive as I could for quickly downloading and then on a break move things to the Seagate, and then when the day is over have one of the AC-powered units that you can move/copy things to in your home/motel.

However, I try to have enough card with me for an event to handle a day's shooting.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

S.E.V.
/Include subdirectories, empty directories, and verify.
3,866 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 11, 2012 01:55 |  #3

FMers huh? LOL wrong site my friend, hehehe.

On the go I don't do much editing due to the fact the monitor is not calibrated, mainly culling and picking the better images to process once i get back home. At home I do a quick cull in LR and label them with stars, then I will go back thru them and set the star rating for the ones I like to edit ( the better ones). Then I do a quick edit in LR mainly the bulk of it and then those that require more work I shoot into to PS CS5 and adjust the curves and what not, then sharpen in PS CS5 and save the final. Everything is on an internal 2tb drive and also backed up on the several External Hd's All my photos and catalogs for LR are on the same drive and an SSD for the OS and programs only!

But I like Tony have many CF cards that will hold me off till I get back home, if needed I have a Epson p300 media viewer that allows me to off load my cards on to it up to 40gb and then I can off load them when I get home as well. So many ways to do this stuff it is actually ridiculous.

You may know him on FM Conrad Tan only uses his laptop, doesn't own a PC but his laptop is calibrated and gets great results, mainly works of the histogram.

Sevan

ShotsInTime (external link) / Gear List /Flickr (external link) / Canon Family Portrait (external link)
- Don't Argue With A Stupid Person, They Will Bring You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

ChadAndreo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 11, 2012 02:29 |  #4

LOL! Good Catch. I did a quick copy and paste job.
I also own enough memory that will hold me over on any job that I am doing.
My main reason for looking for ways to improve my workflow and storage is because sometimes I do edit sessions with other artists usually not at my place. Another reason is I try to spend a significant amount of time in NYC to shoot and spend time with family.
Also, I only own notebooks(MPB and Dell Studio 17").

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 11, 2012 12:17 |  #5

What software?
LR: I don't.
PS: External HDD 3.5" for original image files and backup of edited files.

Final editing on MP (or using external screen).

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

S.E.V.
/Include subdirectories, empty directories, and verify.
3,866 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 11, 2012 22:35 |  #6

ChadAndreo wrote in post #14246054 (external link)
LOL! Good Catch. I did a quick copy and paste job.
I also own enough memory that will hold me over on any job that I am doing.
My main reason for looking for ways to improve my workflow and storage is because sometimes I do edit sessions with other artists usually not at my place. Another reason is I try to spend a significant amount of time in NYC to shoot and spend time with family.
Also, I only own notebooks(MPB and Dell Studio 17").

For a temporary storage deal you could use one of these

http://www.newegg.com …aspx?Item=N82E1​6822154547 (external link)

I had borrowed a friends once it wasn't this one but the previous model, I was at the track for three days and it worked like a charm, LR3 ran decently off it, but I mainly used it storage. It requires no power outlet, gets the power via the usb cable. What the internal HDD on your MBP?

ShotsInTime (external link) / Gear List /Flickr (external link) / Canon Family Portrait (external link)
- Don't Argue With A Stupid Person, They Will Bring You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

sponsored links

671 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mobile editing and storage question
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.