Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 13 Apr 2012 (Friday) 09:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PayPal Scam Defence Strategy

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 13, 2012 09:31 |  #1

I recently covered my tracks using paypal and I thought I would share it in the event that it may help anybody with a similar hesitance to sell items using paypal.

I sold a camera to a buyer here in the POTN classifieds. I'm fairly trustworthy of buyers with good feedback, which the person had. My brother told me about an increasing Paypal scam about false claims of their shipments. It is happening to victims that frequent classified sites like Kijiji and Craigslist.

Though I trusted the buyer, I could not afford ANY potential risk of being burned. I've heard some bad stuff out there that started out what looked like fairly innocent transactions...

Here was my defence strategy:

I took my iphone4s, propped it onto a table and started recording a video.

The video began by me showing my sold DSLR, turning on the LCD to display that it worked. Snapped a picture and made the image on the LCD visible to my recording. Powered it off and described that the memory card, battery and lens were not in the sale and packaged the body-only in the box. The DSLR never left the frame of my recording nor did I stop/pause the recording. I boxed it up, and carried the parcel down the street to the post office (1 minute walk) (I had already had a pre-printed shipping label on the box) so that I could drop it off to the post office worker and walk away. The box never left the sight of the recording and I made sure that the post office sign was also visible as I approached it. (nobody can claim I pulled a "switch-a-roo" with the camera or box)

If there is any chance that I am called out for shipping an empty box or broken camera, I have the video and its indisputable.

I can upload the video and threaten them to cancel their claim of fraudulence or I can show paypal a link to my video in my defence statement. They will investigate and I will win.

Sure it was a bit of work to make the video - a whole 8 minutes - but I have total peace of mind about the sale and I won't hesitate to do this again when big ticket items involve paypal.

Hope this idea might be of use to someone out there. Although I'll understand that not everybody can go from recording from their dinning room table to the post office in such a short stride.

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 13, 2012 09:39 |  #2

I don't know...maybe you should have duct taped your IPhone to the box and had it recording the journey the box took, inside the box have a small prepaid shipping box and request the scammer who got the box to return your IPhone.

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 13, 2012 09:46 |  #3

thanks for your genius contribution to a perfectly viable and straight forward solution...

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 13, 2012 10:02 |  #4

Honestly you make it sounds as if one cannot edit video and tamper with the evidence.

Sounds like a plan that could work (in theory) but i doubt Paypal is going to take the time to review potentially fake videos for every sour transaction dispute. Just because you went through all that trouble would probably raise a premeditated flag and put your account under tight watch. Remember they have a legal obligation to the purchaser because it was them who gave Paypal the money. This is why Escrow services exist to protect both parties and if you want real protection then you always have that option. I used Escrow.com to broker a $4k domain on my behalf and it was well worth paying the fees myself because the buyer (who only lived two hours away) actually did attempt to screw me.

moose10101
registered smartass
1,675 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Apr 13, 2012 10:07 |  #5

1) PayPal isn't going to watch your video.

2) Snapping a photo and showing it on the LCD screen doesn't prove that the camera is fully functional.

3) It would be very simple to have two labels stacked on the box, with the top one having the address of your buyer, and one underneath with a friend's address. On the way to the P.O., you slip the top label off.

The defense against a claim of an empty box is the shipping weight, as well as an insurance claim that will put the buyer in the crosshairs of postal investigators. The defense against a "broken camera" swap is more difficult, maybe impossible.

But your video is useless unless you want to hire a lawyer.

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 13, 2012 10:17 |  #6

moose10101 wrote in post #14259157 (external link)
1) PayPal isn't going to watch your video.

2) Snapping a photo and showing it on the LCD screen doesn't prove that the camera is fully functional.

3) It would be very simple to have two labels stacked on the box, with the top one having the address of your buyer, and one underneath with a friend's address. On the way to the P.O., you slip the top label off.

The defense against a claim of an empty box is the shipping weight, as well as an insurance claim that will put the buyer in the crosshairs of postal investigators. The defense against a "broken camera" swap is more difficult, maybe impossible.

But your video is useless unless you want to hire a lawyer.

valid points.

could be used as a last resort if getting the buyer to back off is needed.

I've made a lot of empty threats against people that have scammed me on eBay and inevitably received justice. The power of the pen, the power video. Sometimes desperate measures are needed if getting your scammer to budge, just is a little, is needed. Nobody said these criminals were intelligent.

minhi
604 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 13, 2012 10:46 |  #7

i don't know this seems over the top, i think the best defense is to sell to a buyer you are comfortable with, i.e. not shipping to a po box, buyer has good a reputation etc. i mean as a buyer you would do your homework on a seller, so as a seller you should do some homework on your potential buyer.

if you had enough doubt that you needed to do this i would find another buyer or restrict the transaction to a local sale. yes there are scammers out there but the majority of the folks out there are honest, and scammers will not spend 2 years on an online forum creating a false identity so a little bit of research on your buyer will greatly reduce the risk.

in search of my own choreo-animator (external link)

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 13, 2012 10:59 |  #8

minhi wrote in post #14259355 (external link)
i don't know this seems over the top, i think the best defense is to sell to a buyer you are comfortable with, i.e. not shipping to a po box, buyer has good a reputation etc. i mean as a buyer you would do your homework on a seller, so as a seller you should do some homework on your potential buyer.

then I suppose you haven't the heard the stories that say other-wise?

if you had enough doubt that you needed to do this i would find another buyer or restrict the transaction to a local sale. yes there are scammers out there but the majority of the folks out there are honest, and scammers will not spend 2 years on an online forum creating a false identity so a little bit of research on your buyer will greatly reduce the risk.

You can't control who bids on your auctions.

musashi
795 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Location: Winchester, CA / San Diego, CA / North Hollywood, CA

Apr 13, 2012 11:06 |  #9

Making a vido from my house to the post office or fedex kinko will will take some as the drive alone is 20-30 mins depending on traffic.

“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

--==Gear List & Feedback==--

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 13, 2012 11:21 |  #10

musashi wrote in post #14259453 (external link)
Making a vido from my house to the post office or fedex kinko will will take some as the drive alone is 20-30 mins depending on traffic.

lol or you can make the vid in your car and make sure to bring along your packing tape.

most people ridicule the idea. I get it.

When you find yourself in a position where your seemingly legit buyer has opened a dispute claim against you and there's nothing from stopping Paypal from withdrawing $3K from you bank account, laughing isn't an option.

Another person here on POTN suggested having a temp bank account and transferring funds to your main account. Not really sure if this is a safe option as far as creditors go. I don't think it helps keep a clean image of yourself either.

MeNiS
706 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 13, 2012 11:28 |  #11

ship with tracking # and direct signature required. that's enough for me.

dynamitetony
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 13, 2012 11:28 |  #12

rick_reno wrote in post #14258991 (external link)
I don't know...maybe you should have duct taped your IPhone to the box and had it recording the journey the box took, inside the box have a small prepaid shipping box and request the scammer who got the box to return your IPhone.

thanks for a good laugh :)

5Dmk4 : 5Dmk3: Sigma 24mm F1.4 :Sigma 35mm F1.4 : Canon 50mm F1.4 : Canon 85mm F1.8 : Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro : Canon 24-105 F4 : Canon 70-200 F2.8L mkii : Flashes, lights & Stuff

jwm9289
653 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 13, 2012 11:32 |  #13

Pearlallica wrote in post #14258947 (external link)
I recently covered my tracks using paypal and I thought I would share it in the event that it may help anybody with a similar hesitance to sell items using paypal.

I sold a camera to a buyer here in the POTN classifieds. I'm fairly trustworthy of buyers with good feedback, which the person had. My brother told me about an increasing Paypal scam about false claims of their shipments. It is happening to victims that frequent classified sites like Kijiji and Craigslist.

Though I trusted the buyer, I could not afford ANY potential risk of being burned. I've heard some bad stuff out there that started out what looked like fairly innocent transactions...

Here was my defence strategy:

I took my iphone4s, propped it onto a table and started recording a video.

The video began by me showing my sold DSLR, turning on the LCD to display that it worked. Snapped a picture and made the image on the LCD visible to my recording. Powered it off and described that the memory card, battery and lens were not in the sale and packaged the body-only in the box. The DSLR never left the frame of my recording nor did I stop/pause the recording. I boxed it up, and carried the parcel down the street to the post office (1 minute walk) (I had already had a pre-printed shipping label on the box) so that I could drop it off to the post office worker and walk away. The box never left the sight of the recording and I made sure that the post office sign was also visible as I approached it. (nobody can claim I pulled a "switch-a-roo" with the camera or box)

If there is any chance that I am called out for shipping an empty box or broken camera, I have the video and its indisputable.

I can upload the video and threaten them to cancel their claim of fraudulence or I can show paypal a link to my video in my defence statement. They will investigate and I will win.

Sure it was a bit of work to make the video - a whole 8 minutes - but I have total peace of mind about the sale and I won't hesitate to do this again when big ticket items involve paypal.

Hope this idea might be of use to someone out there. Although I'll understand that not everybody can go from recording from their dinning room table to the post office in such a short stride.

I have been buying and selling on forums, craigslist and ebay for over 15 years. Over 1000 transactions. From $5.00 to a $15,000.00 Car (Purchased) and $5.00 to 10,000.00 Motorcycle (Sold). I have never beend burnt.

I think some people have to much time on there hands.

Besides i live to far away from the Posr Ofice, it would be a long video.

Canon 6D | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 70-200L II

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 13, 2012 11:32 |  #14

I totally agree with this. Paypal won't take any evidence from you and easily side the party who is going to win (for example if credit card is involved buyer wins no matter what happens); justice doesn't matter much as far as Paypal is concerned. I have seen this happening and that's why I stay away from them.

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

luigis
Goldmember
1,399 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 13, 2012 11:33 |  #15

We have to test this! Let us know when your next sale is available!!

www.luisargerich.com (external link)
Landscape Photography & Astrophotography
Follow me on Twitter (external link)
My Awesome Gear List

sponsored links

3,289 views & 0 likes for this thread
PayPal Scam Defence Strategy
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.