Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Apr 2012 (Sunday) 02:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Service Advisory - Light Leak Phenomenon

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
20,886 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Apr 15, 2012 02:52 |  #1

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …il&docId=0901e0​2480538fc7 (external link)

From Canon's announcement I would pay pay particular attention to this part. The countermeasures could be simply not to use the lcd ligth under the conditions this phenomenon occurs.

The phenomenon described below has been confirmed when using the Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera.
Canon is now examining the countermeasures and once the countermeasures are decided, we will post the information on our Web site.

With Canon 5D Mark III Canon seems to have created a camera that cause so much friction between Canon entheusiasts that they argue over the smallest things from not living up to the wildest dream specifications to the ligth meter beeing affected when measuring ligth with the body/lens cap on....

Please all can we please calm down. And once each party realize difference in opinion agree to disagree and stop repeating the same arguments over and over again.

This is mainly to those members that have pre-ordered the camera: PLEASE respect when many many actual 5D3 owners say this phenomenon is NOT affecting the resulting photos. Fine if you want to wait until Canon comes with an official statement as to what to do about this but respect that many owners do not see this as an issue. I have not tested my camera simply beacuse I know for a fact that I will never ever shoot with lens/body cap on (except for when I forget to remove the lens cap :lol: ). I will test my camera the day someone can show me a real world photo that has been affected by this phenomenon . Until then I am fully enjoying a fantastic camera.

And to all of us that own the 5D3 and think this is not issue lets not aggrevate the situation by posting off topic rediculing comments.

UPDATE 24/4-2012:

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …il&docId=0901e0​2480538fc7 (external link)

To Users of the Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera
Thank you for using Canon products.
Concerning the EOS 5D Mark III digital SLR camera, when the LCD panel illuminates in extremely dark environments, the displayed exposure value may change. Canon has concluded the investigation of this phenomenon, and this announcement informs you of our findings as described below.
Phenomenon
In extremely dark environments, if the LCD panel illuminates, the displayed exposure value may change. However, based on the results of extensive testing this change in exposure value will not noticeably affect the captured image.
Affected Product
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera
*Products whose sixth digit in the serial number is 1 or 2 are affected.
   For example, “xxxxx1xxxxxx​” or “xxxxx2xxxxxx” ([x] represents any optional number.)
Support
Under almost all shooting conditions (including dark environments) this phenomenon will not affect your captured images. However, if you would like Canon to inspect your camera, we will provide this service free of charge upon request beginning in mid-May. Please contact Canon using the information below to request service.
This information is for residents of the United States and Puerto Rico only. If you do not reside in the USA or Puerto Rico, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region.
Please register the EOS 5D Mark III (external link). By registering, we will be able to notify you via email when service updates are available. If you already registered, please ensure you are opted-in to receive the notification.

---------------

Arguing and personal attacks will not be tolerated and off topic posts will be deleted and if same members continue down the path the other closed thread on this subject went they can expect to hear from a moderator or an admin.....

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

sponsored links
bikeboynate
Goldmember
3,127 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 15, 2012 02:54 |  #2

^^^^ bw!

THANK YOU TOMMY.

-Nate :D
5D Mark lll + BG-E11 | 60D + BG-E9 | Rebel XSi |
17-40 f/4L | 24-105 f/4L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | EX430II x 2 |
055XPROB | 322RC2 | Street Walker HardDrive |
Flickr (external link) | My website: NMBPhoto (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 15, 2012 03:10 as a reply to  @ post 14268007 |  #3

From the last thread

is that bright light source getting into the viewfinder by any chance?

yes, the light is going into the viewfinder

. I will test my camera the day someone can show me a real world photo that has been affected by this phenomenon .

I think this is pretty real world
http://www.cameratown.​com …non5dMKIII/ligh​t_leak.cfm (external link)

According to the author of the link, light getting into the viewfinder is a common problem for all cameras. If your eye is against it the whole time, it's not an issue. But, if there is light leakage from the top LCD cover or the LCD light being on, that's a bit different.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

brose
220 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 15, 2012 03:20 |  #4

Apparently not only the top lcd illumination light affects exposure metering but also sunlight shining on that screen. This seems to be a build fault, which I think must be faced squarely, and while its effect might be negligible in most shots, it's understandable that customers definitely think its existence is undesirable.

http://www.petapixel.c​om/2012/04/13/...he-5d-mark-iii (external link)

Neil

tommykjensen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
20,886 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Apr 15, 2012 03:23 |  #5

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #14268021 (external link)
I think this is pretty real world
http://www.cameratown.​com …non5dMKIII/ligh​t_leak.cfm (external link)

According to the author of the link, light getting into the viewfinder is a common problem for all cameras. If your eye is against it the whole time, it's not an issue. But, if there is light leakage from the top LCD cover or the LCD light being on, that's a bit different.

Yes I know and Canon knows and everybody that reads the manuals know about the viewfinder.

I am not talking about a photo that documents the test setup used to in order to see the ligh leak Phenomenon but a photo (not a test photo in a test lab) that has been affected by this ligth leak.... From that guy writing that stuff and doing the test I want to see one of his star trail photos that has been affected by this Phenomenon.

newporthomie
Goldmember
4,175 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 15, 2012 03:40 |  #6

@ Tommy bw!

roqdawg
216 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 15, 2012 06:12 |  #7

brose wrote in post #14268046 (external link)
Apparently not only the top lcd illumination light affects exposure metering but also sunlight shining on that screen. This seems to be a build fault, which I think must be faced squarely, and while its effect might be negligible in most shots, it's understandable that customers definitely think its existence is undesirable.

http://www.petapixel.c​om/2012/04/13/...he-5d-mark-iii (external link)

Neil

I have not bought my 5D3 yet but this has been my concern and the reason I am still reading these threads. The early comments on this problem showed that shining a flashlight on the LCD panel would change the meter reading (something that may have been now entirely ruled out by placing black plastic over the viewfinder). So my main concern from that is direct sunlight shining down on the LCD panel.....ex: would you get the same exposure taking a picture standing under a shade tree photographing a sunny beach, as you would not standing under the shade tree shooting the same scene?

Roqdawg

Canon 5D MkIV | 90D | 16-35mm f/2.8L III | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II | EF 40mm f/2.8 pancake | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS macro | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II | EF 600mm f/4L IS II |EF 1.4X III & 2.0X III Extenders | EF12 II & EF25 II Extension Tubes | 430EX III-RT | 600EX II-RT | 580EX II | RRS & Induro Tripods | Canon Pro-10 Printer |

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 15, 2012 06:58 |  #8

roqdawg wrote in post #14268339 (external link)
I have not bought my 5D3 yet but this has been my concern and the reason I am still reading these threads. The early comments on this problem showed that shining a flashlight on the LCD panel would change the meter reading (something that may have been now entirely ruled out by placing black plastic over the viewfinder). So my main concern from that is direct sunlight shining down on the LCD panel.....ex: would you get the same exposure taking a picture standing under a shade tree photographing a sunny beach, as you would not standing under the shade tree shooting the same scene?

Roqdawg

Yes, you would get the same exposure. The tests where the meter reading change are all done in situations where there is little or no light entering the camera anywhere else (such as through the lens). With no other light in there, the tiny amount of light from the top panel becomes very significant and the meter can pick it up. Take the lens cap off and so much light comes in through the lens, that the tiny amount from the top panel makes no difference at all.

This phenomena is normally only showing up when testing with the lens cap on, as all shooting will be done with the lens cap removed it becomes a non issue.

The only way it has been shown to occur with the lens cap off are in a very dark room or outside at night, with a very dark scene and a light is shone on the LCD. In both such cases the meter is outside it's normal ideal operating range anyway, so is likely to be inaccurate to start with, so you would check the exposure with a test shot regardless. A small extra inaccuracy means little as it could as easily improve the exposure as go the other way. The other obvious answer of course is if shooting in the dark, don't shine a light on it.

In all normal usage, this has no affect on the meter reading whatsoever.

jthomps123
476 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 15, 2012 08:01 |  #9

Seriously guys, there is a reason the 5m3 comes with a viewfinder 'patch'. Every DSLR i've ever owned including Nikons and 1d series have this provision in place to counteract light entering the viewfinder. Have you guys never tried shooting a self/family portrait with the timed shutter release or remote? Try shooting indoors – especially with bounced flash TTL – without the viewfinder closed with ANY dslr and let me know your results.

1Ds Mk 2 / 5D Mk 3 | 17-40L | 24-105L | 35L | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 100L | 70-200L Mk 2 | 580 EXII x 2
GH2 | 14-140 | 20/1.7
Elinchrom Quadra A's

sabesh
678 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 15, 2012 09:26 as a reply to  @ jthomps123's post |  #10

I ran this test and can't replicate the issue. Maybe I'm not doing it right. Will try again tonight. However, this has convinced me that it's not really a real-world issue, if it's this hard to replicate. Cheers.

Sony A7R-II | 16-35FE | 24-70FE | 28FE | 55FE | 70-200FE ~FlickR (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,609 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 15, 2012 09:45 |  #11

sabesh wrote in post #14268884 (external link)
I ran this test and can't replicate the issue. Maybe I'm not doing it right. Will try again tonight. However, this has convinced me that it's not really a real-world issue, if it's this hard to replicate. Cheers.

Which issue? The VF issue is pretty easy to replicate and as jthomps says, it's not an issue, it's how SLRs work and noted in the manual.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sabesh
678 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 15, 2012 10:14 |  #12

gjl711 wrote in post #14268966 (external link)
Which issue? The VF issue is pretty easy to replicate and as jthomps says, it's not an issue, it's how SLRs work and noted in the manual.

Yes, the VF issue. I can't see the light leak.

Sony A7R-II | 16-35FE | 24-70FE | 28FE | 55FE | 70-200FE ~FlickR (external link)

tommykjensen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
20,886 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Apr 15, 2012 10:16 |  #13

sabesh wrote in post #14269080 (external link)

But that is not what the announcement is about.

gjl711
55,609 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 15, 2012 10:36 |  #14

sabesh wrote in post #14269080 (external link)

It's there, It's in all SLRs. It's a side effect of the design. It's not a big problem most of the time. The brighter the light, the less the effect I think, or at least that's what i have seen in the past.

If you really want to see it happen, set up the camera in a normally lit room, meter, shine a flashlight into the VF and meter again. The readings will be quite different.

Of course this is silly, but it does show the effect. In normal shooting the effect is there but much smaller. If you shoo with eye to the VF, the effect is not there.

gjl711
55,609 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 15, 2012 10:42 |  #15

BTW, Canon does warn of the effect on page 86 of the 5DMkII manual, page 94 of the 7D manual, page 90 of the 50D manual, page 98 of the 5Dc manual. It's been there from the start. I would not worry about it at all. Just one of those interesting facts to file away.

sponsored links

124,234 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Service Advisory - Light Leak Phenomenon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.