Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Apr 2012 (Sunday) 02:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Service Advisory - Light Leak Phenomenon

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
6,031 posts
Gallery: 90 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 23, 2012 23:20 |  #106

Dj R wrote in post #14317032 (external link)
You need lightroom4.1

Oh, I got it. Just a tad bit slow. I might be a bit AR but I am hoping the final release of 4.1 (not the RC) will be out soon and be nice and speedy. LR3 3.6 was rippin' fast.

Cory
Sony ⍺6400 | Sigma 56/1.4 | Sony/Zeiss E 24/1.8 | Sigma 16./1.4 | Zeiss Touit 12/2.8
flickr (external link)
Feedback

sponsored links
mrmarks
822 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 23, 2012 23:31 |  #107

Affected Product
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera
*Products whose sixth digit in the serial number is 1 or 2 are affected.
   For example, “xxxxx1xxxxxx​” or “xxxxx2xxxxxx” ([x] represents any optional number.)
---------------

Is there anyone with a 5D3 with the serial number xxxxx3xxxxxx ? I wonder if there is any modification to the top LCD in the later serial numbers that seals the light leak.

freddyd
214 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 24, 2012 02:45 |  #108

va_rider wrote in post #14316254 (external link)
interesting... updated to the latest Firmware... don't notice anything different right off the bat.

Question: For those in the know, I'm running Lion (Mac OS 10.7) on my Mac, the firmware goes up to OS 10.6. Will I be able to use the Mac OS 10.6 version of the firmware? Should I wait until there is Lion support to update my 5D Mark iii? Any Lion users use the the 10.6 firmware? Thanks!

flickr.com/ferdenan

bikeboynate
Goldmember
3,127 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 24, 2012 02:48 |  #109

freddyd wrote in post #14317696 (external link)
Question: For those in the know, I'm running Lion (Mac OS 10.7) on my Mac, the firmware goes up to OS 10.6. Will I be able to use the Mac OS 10.6 version of the firmware? Should I wait until there is Lion support to update my 5D Mark iii? Any Lion users use the the 10.6 firmware? Thanks!

I have lion on my iMac and Snow Leopard on my 4 year old macbook black and I just used my laptop to upload the firmware update. I didn't try do use lion as I was unsure as to how it would work... You could try it but I wouldn't advise it.

-Nate :D
5D Mark lll + BG-E11 | 60D + BG-E9 | Rebel XSi |
17-40 f/4L | 24-105 f/4L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | EX430II x 2 |
055XPROB | 322RC2 | Street Walker HardDrive |
Flickr (external link) | My website: NMBPhoto (external link) | Facebook (external link)

freddyd
214 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 24, 2012 03:34 |  #110

bikeboynate wrote in post #14317698 (external link)
I have lion on my iMac and Snow Leopard on my 4 year old macbook black and I just used my laptop to upload the firmware update. I didn't try do use lion as I was unsure as to how it would work... You could try it but I wouldn't advise it.

Thanks Nate, good advice. Yeah, I have an older iMac with OS 10.5 my kids use that. Thanks again!

flickr.com/ferdenan

bikeboynate
Goldmember
3,127 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 24, 2012 04:00 |  #111

freddyd wrote in post #14317761 (external link)
Thanks Nate, good advice. Yeah, I have an older iMac with OS 10.5 my kids use that. Thanks again!

No problemo :D Good luck with the update! ;)

Flickr (external link) | My website: NMBPhoto (external link) | Facebook (external link)

KCY
Unlocked the hidden 117 point AF
7,170 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 24, 2012 05:34 |  #112

Canon UK:
http://www.canon.co.uk …652&page=1&type​=important (external link)

=]
FAQ: EOS 5D Mark III - Quality Issue Announcement
Issue

Concerning the EOS 5D Mark III digital SLR camera, when the LCD panel illuminates in extremely dark environments, the displayed exposure value may change. Canon has decided on our service policy to address this phenomenon, so we would like to inform you of the details as described below.

Affected Products
EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera whose sixth digit in the serial number is 1 or 2.

For example, “xxxxx1xxxxxx​” or “xxxxx2xxxxxx” (x represents any optional number)

Cause
In extremely dark environments*, if the LCD panel illuminates, the displayed exposure value may change. However, when shooting with a lens attached, this change in exposure value will not significantly affect the shooting results.

* Some examples of a dark environment are as follows:

1. When the body cap is attached

2. When the lens cap is attached

Answer :

The products affected by this issue will be inspected and repaired free of charge after 10 May 2012 therefore you are kindly requested to contact one of our authorised service facilities.

KC - The Circle of PoTN - Member of the UCPC
My Gear|My Smugmug (external link)|Pong

Cody21
592 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 24, 2012 10:58 |  #113

-- never mind -- I see the Instructions in the PDF that came with the software zip file. duh ..

---------------

5DM3 | 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | 70-200mm IS f/4L | 24-105 f/4L | Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 | Speedlite 430EX

superclarkey
208 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 24, 2012 12:27 |  #114

Is it really worth sending the camera off to be repaired ? I mean I've not noticed any issues with light leak, I mean it tdoes it but i don't shoot images with my lens cap on...lol In really dark shots I'm shooting in manual regardless... IS there any other issues they are addressing with this repair or just this one ?

mine has a 1 in the seriel number.

Canon EOS 5D mk IV
Canon 24-70mm ƒ/2.8L USM mk II
Canon 70-200mm ƒ/2.8L USM IS mk II

bikeboynate
Goldmember
3,127 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 24, 2012 14:21 |  #115

superclarkey wrote in post #14319990 (external link)
Is it really worth sending the camera off to be repaired ? I mean I've not noticed any issues with light leak, I mean it tdoes it but i don't shoot images with my lens cap on...lol In really dark shots I'm shooting in manual regardless... IS there any other issues they are addressing with this repair or just this one ?

It might be worth sending it in before the 1year warranty is over to get a sensor cleaning and the LCD "fixed" for resale value, but other than that, there are no real issues with the 5D3 other than ERR80 with the Wi-Fi cards which should be fixed in a firmware update. Don't lose any shooting time with your 5D3! It's an amazing machine despite what many non-owners are saying! ;)

KCY
7,170 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 24, 2012 14:25 |  #116

bikeboynate wrote in post #14320660 (external link)
It might be worth sending it in before the 1year warranty is over to get a sensor cleaning and the LCD "fixed" for resale value, but other than that, there are no real issues with the 5D3 other than ERR80 with the Wi-Fi cards which should be fixed in a firmware update. Don't lose any shooting time with your 5D3! It's an amazing machine despite what many non-owners are saying! ;)

hmmm thats a point is canon going to honor the "fix" after the 1 year warranty is up?

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

cmosman
460 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 24, 2012 14:25 |  #117

superclarkey wrote in post #14319990 (external link)

I have to agree, I am happy knowing my mk3 hasn't to be opened up and taken apart. I always use the rear LCD for shooting information so have no need to use the top LCD light.......not even with the lens cap on!!!!

Cameras & Lens all due to my kind wife :D

bikeboynate
Goldmember
3,127 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 24, 2012 14:26 |  #118

KCY wrote in post #14320681 (external link)
hmmm thats a point is canon going to honor the "fix" after the 1 year warranty is up?

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

:lol::lol::lol:
You and your Meme's KCY. :p

You're too :cool: for words eh? :lol:

Anyways, I'd think not since they announced it so early on in the cameras distribution and since they also found that it's practically a non-issue.

KCY
7,170 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 24, 2012 14:29 |  #119

bikeboynate wrote in post #14320693 (external link)
:lol::lol:
You and your Meme's KCY. :p

You're too :cool: for words eh? :lol:

Anyways, I'd think not since they announced it so early on in the cameras distribution and since they also found that it's practically a non-issue.

:lol: I was being serious,

I was going to save my free fix for 2 or 3 years down the road :D, but now :(

bikeboynate
Goldmember
3,127 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 24, 2012 14:33 |  #120

KCY wrote in post #14320706 (external link)
:lol: I was being serious,

I was going to save my free fix for 2 or 3 years down the road :D, but now :(

:shock:
KCY... Being serious?! :eek:

The world really is ending....:cry:

LOL but yeah I honestly don't think they would extend the warranty on that... :(

sponsored links

124,183 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Service Advisory - Light Leak Phenomenon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.