The estate was owned by the Fenwick family from 1475 until their financial problems caused them to sell their properties to the Blacketts. The hall house was rebuilt in 1688 around the ancient Pele Tower house for Sir William Blackett and was later substantially rebuilt again, in Palladian style, for Sir Walter Blackett by architect Daniel Garret, before passing to the Trevelyan family in 1777. Charles Philips Trevelyan inherited the property from his father George Otto Trevelyan in 1928.
After Pauline Jermyn married the naturalist Sir Walter Calverley Trevelyan, they began hosting literary and scientific figures at the Hall. As a cultural centre, Wallington visitors included the members of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood.
Set in 100 acres (40 ha) of rolling parkland, the estate includes a wooded dene (valley), ornamental lakes, lawns, and a recently refurbished walled garden.
Alongside the beautifully furnished interior, attractions inside the house include the desk where Thomas Babington Macaulay, brother-in-law of Charles Edward Trevelyan, wrote his History of England, a large collection of antique dollshouses and eight murals in the central hall depicting the history of Northumberland, painted by William Bell Scott.
The National Trust also own the estate of which the house is a part; the produce from these farms, as well as others in the region, is sold in a farm shop on site.
Wallington House & Gardens by Cumbrian Snapper, on Flickr
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dawgbreath/7077592181/
Wallington House Stairs by Cumbrian Snapper, on Flickr
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dawgbreath/7077592977/
Wallington House Bedroom by Cumbrian Snapper, on Flickr
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dawgbreath/6934024106/
Wallington House Clock by Cumbrian Snapper, on Flickr