Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 16 Apr 2012 (Monday) 12:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Output Sharpening for Web - LR4 Only

Capeachy
427 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 16, 2012 12:30 |  #1

Hello fellow photogs & gurus:

I've been reading the great info in the sharpening thread above but I'm more interested in hearing from you about the capabilities/workflow of only using Lightroom 4. I know that Photoshop, which I also have, has extremely powerful capabilities and that I can apply sharpening after resizing. (Resizing affects the amount of sharpening.) But I want to avoid using Photoshop as much as possible as it is quite time consuming, to me at least. I do very little printing and most photos end up for web viewing.

So normally my workflow would be:
1. Import into LR4
2. Do the sharpening on the image
3. Export, resize and set output sharpening

How well do you guys find using only LR4 for output sharpening? How much output sharpening do you guys use? Do you find there's a tremendous difference between different hosting sites like Facebook, Flickr, 500px and Google+ and what they do to your pictures? Do you downsize below each of these sites max resolution prior to upload or let the sites handle them?

Thanks in advance!

Photography is the art of exclusion

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
17,522 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 16, 2012 13:47 |  #2

I am too hoping to use PS less for mass edits. A dozen or so edits is not too bad so I still use Ps for final output. I did some tests and found it was not too bad. I was going to try it again and have not gotten to it so I'll work on an image and post the results.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

digital ­ paradise
17,522 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 16, 2012 14:11 |  #3

I left the develop sharpening to the default of 25 for all images.

Resized in LR output and applied screen sharpening - Standard

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …/LRforscreen-standard.jpg (external link)

Resized in LR output and applied screen sharpening - High

http://i33.photobucket​.com …non1/LRforscree​n-high.jpg (external link)

Output from LR full sized and no output sharpening. Resized on PS and applied Smart Sharpening to taste.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …/Zenon1/smart-sharpen.jpg (external link)

Output from LR full sized and no output sharpening. Resized and sharpened using one of my actions based on this method.

http://www.earthboundl​ight.com …search=edge+mas​k&bool=and (external link)

http://i33.photobucket​.com/albums/d74/Zenon1​/RSS.jpg (external link)

Image Editing OK

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 16, 2012 14:53 |  #4

I think output sharpening is pretty subjective and also image-based. I do pay attention to sharpening when I'm in Lightroom, whatever "input sharpening" and sharpening during development that suits the image and then occasional "selective sharpening" using the local adjustment brush.

For outputting for the Web, my "normal" output, I've viewing the image in Lighroom at a "normal" view size and I typically just Export using the Standard Screen output sharpening.

For Web images I admit I'm not as hyper-critical about image sharpening as I would be about, say, doing a larger print than, say, an 8x10.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 16, 2012 14:57 |  #5

So, for example, when I look at the great bird pics above by DP I really don't see anything about any one of them that gets me thinking "Hmm, not sharp enough". The image itself is sharp!

Now if DP wanted to print it as an 8x10 or larger, then that would be a time to assess whether it would benefit by a "special touch". Because it's a visually striking image, you don't want to go too far, but when you view it with larger printing in mind, well, like I said, that's subjective and image-based.

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Capeachy
THREAD ­ STARTER
427 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 16, 2012 15:10 |  #6

Thanks DP, wonderful examples. I can see from this pic that the high sharpening seems a little bit better to me and the PS one is even better. But that's not to say the LR4 output isn't great in and of itself.

Now if DP wanted to print it as an 8x10 or larger, then that would be a time to assess whether it would benefit by a "special touch". Because it's a visually striking image, you don't want to go too far, but when you view it with larger printing in mind, well, like I said, that's subjective and image-based.

I agree, printing would require a special touch, as it should for each and every image and the printing medium, viewing distances etc. I guess my current experience is that I'm trying to see if there's some thing more I can do with web sized images.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 16, 2012 15:25 |  #7

Well, if the "High" output sharpening looks a little better to you, then that can be a point of reference, sure! Do you at this point use Lightroom, or are you just trying to figure out whether you want to get it?

Tony

Capeachy
THREAD ­ STARTER
427 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 16, 2012 15:34 |  #8

I am using Lightroom, so I'm trying to get the maximum out of it. As well as being able to upload them in a "good" quality to certain hosting sites.

digital ­ paradise
17,522 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 16, 2012 15:37 |  #9

Thanks. I should have adjusted the exposure a bit but it was just a test. I just started using LR. In fact still have 13 days on the trial. I just remembered that I did use LR output sharpening for the web images and resizing from a charity I shot about a month ago. Over 500 images and it saved me a pile of time. No one even pays attention to or cares about that. They just want the images posted.

When working on one image at a time I will still use PS and apply my own techniques but when it comes to mass edits I'll use LR and more than likely use the High setting.

Image Editing OK

sponsored links

1,683 views & 0 likes for this thread
Output Sharpening for Web - LR4 Only
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.