Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 16 Apr 2012 (Monday) 16:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

A cautionary tale about Borrow Lenses.com

this thread is locked
charliecurran
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 16, 2012 16:55 |  #1

Hey fellow forum'ers. I'm a long time lurker and i've bought some great equiptment from users on the board but this is my first time posting a thread. I've recently had a truly awful experience doing business with Borrow Lenses.com and I wanted share it with you all to take into consideration when shopping around for lens rentals. So without further ado...there goes.

For the past year I've been working on a documentary project in New York based on the life and work of fashion photographer Davide Sorrenti who passed at the young age of 21 and sent ripples through the world of fashion. Throughout the process, I've been shooting on Canon DSLRs and had been relying on the rental company Borrow Lenses which I had seen positively reviewed online and heavily advertised on photography/film sites that I visited.

At first things were great. I rented a kit for the weekend that included two Zeis Canon mount primes, a data recorder, a wireless lav microphone, a few batteries, and an intervelometer to shoot timelapses. The total for the kit came out to about three hundred dollars with two day shipping and handling. The first rental went without a hitch, and I found the Borrow Lenses team helpful enough.

Now keep in mind that these are three day rentals that I was ordering, so I was having them arrive on Wednesday the day before we left (I got to the Savannah College of Art and Design, we have Fridays off, so I was leaving with my Director of Photography for New York Thursday evenings straight from class at 5pm).

After successfully renting the kit from Borrow Lenses on our second trip I thought I'd go with the rental house that I knew expecting things to go smoothly. The package from Borrow Lenses came Wednesday evening, and producing/directing this movie solo, I was running around franticly trying to handle last minute logistics, meaning that I wasn't able to check through the kit until Thursday afternoon after class. It's just how it worked out.

Upon opening the box, I was surprised to find two extra lenses included in the order. Not only were they undocumented on the packing order, they were the incredibly expensive Zeis CP.2 Canon Mount Primes which each retail for about $4000.00. That's right, I opened the box and found $8000.00 dollars worth of lenses and the rental company had no idea that I had them.

While I'd love to say the idea of keeping them didn't cross my mind, it did for a moment, but then I took a walk and knew that I had to return them. It was the right thing to do, and I still feel that way now in spite of what would ensue. It's what I would hope any other human would do for me if put in the same predicament.

It's about 3pm at this point, we're running around double checking equipment, getting our packs together, and I'm stuck on hold trying to get a hold of Borrow Lenses to let them know that their missing lenses were safe and sound. The first person I contacted, someone in customer support was floored that the lenses had ended up in my order, as they had no trace of where they had ended up. He told me that he'd have to contact his manager, and that he'd give me a call back.

As we were on the way to the airport, I realized that I'd be out of touch in the air and would miss their business hours, so I gave them another ring, slowly wading my way up from several customer reps to their manager. When speaking to the manager, he was incredibly pleased to hear that not only had the lenses been found, but that I was honest in returning them. They literally had no way of finding out what had happened to them.

I jokingly told him that as a poor film student, I thought that was an incredibly cruel test to put me through. He then told me that in the past when something this rare had happened that they had compensated their customers for being good Samaritan and returning the missing equipment. He asked me what I would like in exchange for shipping the lenses back and my troubles. I told him a bit about the project, that we were strapped for cash as it was trying to make a feature length documentary while still in film school with interview subjects based in New York City out of Savannah, Georgia. I told him that if it wasn't too much to ask I had to go back to New York two more times to collect interviews, and that I had been renting a kit that cost three hundred dollars. I asked if there was any way they'd give me the two rentals for free.

While six hundred dollars may seem like a lot to ask for, lets put it in perspective. The lenses they lost, depending on whether they pay retail or buy in bulk, together cost between $7000.00 to $8000.00. This is the largest lens rental company in the country, and six hundred dollars is thirteen point three percent of the cost of the lenses I was returning, which they would have been forced to replace. This doesn't take into account the amount each lens would make over the course of its life through rentals for the company which does quite a bit of business.

He said that sounded fair, and that when I returned the lenses we would take care of the reward. I was incredibly enthused, knowing that we had stretched our incredibly modest budget six hundred dollars more and could use it to pay for expenses in New York to fit in more interviews such as taking cabs with our equipment, etc.

We get to New York, everything goes great, we take advantage of the new slack in our budget (lets be honest, in NYC $600 is a few inches of slack), and we get back to Savannah. With the lenses in the mail I give Borrow Lenses a ring to let them know that they were coming back safe and sound, and I inquired into how the reimbursement might work. The customer rep tells me that I'll have to speak to the operations manager to figure anything like that out. I'm a bit confused but I tell them sure, and proceed to wait on hold until i find out that she's in a meeting and will call me back.

A while later I get a call from Lisa, the operations manager of Borrow Lenses. She tells me that yes, she sees a note in the order that I had found and returned the lenses, and that they were all very thankful for what I had done. Great. Then she tells me that she was a bit confused as to why I thought I was "entitled" to compensation for returning the order. I tell her the events as they unfolded, and asked if in the past they had compensated those who had returned lost equipment. She said that they had, but that the manager wasn't authorized to tell me this, and that she had the final say and could offer me fifty dollars.

Fifty dollars.

That's 12% of what I had been told I would receive before, which was 13.3% of the value of the lenses I returned. That's right, to thank me they were going back on their word and offering me a gift card worth 1/160th of the value of the lenses I had returned, and 1/12th of what I had been originally offered, because **** it, they had the lenses back, what did it matter if they kept their word.

I told her I was really truly upset about the situation, and I asked her to speak with the manager and hear straight from him what he had told me. She puts me on hold for a bit, and comes back saying that the manager had admitted to offering me compensation, but that we had never decided what it would be, and this is the kicker - told me that I was "lying" to her.

That's right folks, here I was being called dishonest for returning two $4000.00 lenses that were completely lost to the rental company. Now my honesty was up for debate.

I'll be honest. This was the point at which I lost my composure. She told me that the most that she could offer me was $200.00, and that was all she was willing to part with. I told her that I was so disgusted by the way I was being treated, so angry being called a liar, that she could keep her $200.00 dollars. I told her that i thought it was a truly terrible thing to bait and switch a poor college student who had been a loyal customer and returned their lenses. It wasn't even the money, it was the principle of what had happened that left me furious. I didn't curse, I didn't raise my voice, as plainly as possible I tried to explain this to her, at which point she interrupted me and told me that I was a liar, and hung up on me.

That's right. She hung up on me.

I make peace with what's happened, they're a company, they don't care. There's not much I can do. I move on.

Fast forward to this afternoon. I have one last trip to New York this coming Thursday. I'm looking at Borrow Lens' competitors, and I think, even though I don't expect a friendly staff anymore, i've used them before, I'll order through them, however begrudgingly.

Thanks my Aunt and Uncle, I had a few hundred extra dollars to spend this trip after they helped me with my budget problems from my earlier fun with Borrow Lenses. I put together an order, it comes out to $600.00. Everything goes great, I get my confirmation, I move on with last minute pre-production, when I get an email.

"From: BorrowLenses.com to Me

Charles,

Due to the last exchange we had with you regarding a mistaken shipment, we won't be proceeding with the most recent order you placed on our website. The hostility that was directed toward us during that exchange is not something that we wish to re-visit. Per our Lease agreement, paragraph 8, we are declining your request to rent, I have cancelled your order and voided the authorization that was placed on your card.

Thank you
Borrowlenses.com verification department

P.S. Like us on Facebook for Facebook-only specials, discounts and giveaways:"

These people.

So having rented from Borrow Lenses three times now I can tell you that I have been caused a great deal of inconvenience, had to jump over budgeting hurdles based on the faith I put in their good word, been lied to, and was actually called a liar multiple times on the phone by Lisa, head of operations.

I'll leave you with my response to the email I received today, and my sincere hope that you take my experiences into consideration when dealing with Borrow Lenses in the future. There's a lot of alternatives out there and I think that honestly and values go a long way in this world, especially in this industry.

"Charles Curran to verify@borrowlenses.co​m (external link)

I'm incredibly disappointed to hear that my order has been rejected. While I understand and will look to your competitors for rentals for my future projects I think that the way in which your company handled the situation was extremely unbecoming and reflects very negatively on the values your company holds.

Please as a point of reference remember that the dispute came about after I had honorably returned about $7000.00 dollars worth of lenses that you sent to me without any documentation inadvertently. Despite traveling to New York to shoot a documentary, I called your company half a dozen times two hours before my flight to help you resolve your error, and our disagreement came about regarding the mixed messages I received after being told that I would receive a few free rental packages for my honesty, and then was told afterwards that a $50.00 dollar voucher would suffice.

I don't expect you to see things my way, but from a poor film student who budgeted his project based on my faith in your good word, I hope you can empathize even a small amount as to why I might have sounded hostel upon finding out that you didn't intend to honor your original offer.

- Charlie Curran"

"You do an awfully good impression of yourself."
My Demonstration Reel (external link)
My Portfolio (external link)-
My Blog (external link)-
My Tumblr (external link)

tats
869 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 16, 2012 17:04 |  #2

Without getting into if the $600 was too much, here is just another example of no good deed goes unpunished.

It's a shame that you had a verbal agreement with someone who purported to have the authority to authorize something like that only to have it taken back.

Now be honest, you wish you kept them now right? :)

Rob
Canon 5DMkII -- Zeiss 21 2.8 -- 35L -- 50 1.8 -- 70-200 2.8L IS II FOR SALE -- 2X III Extender SOLD
Feedback/Gear --- Flickr (external link)

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 16, 2012 17:22 |  #3

you did the right thing returning them
with that said we do the right thing to do the right thing not for reward

a sense of entitlement for being good samaritan sense like a contradiction in terms

Whilst I joyfully read along I cringed when I got to "I jokingly told him that as a poor film student,......"

And with that said....While 600 is unreasonable two free rentals seems perfectly fair as it does not cost them the 600 is not their cost

But once again......we do good deeds because we are good people not for recognition and reward

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

jwm1990
69 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 16, 2012 17:27 |  #4

Charlie,

That sounds horrible, it's awful to hear that they would go back on their word like that.

While it's not much in the grand scheme of things, as someone who has spent quite a bit of money (to me at least) on renting lenses from them, it makes me think twice about who I rented from.

As a fellow student in GA I wish you the best of luck, and I would love to see your documentary when it's finished.

Jeffrey Morgan Photography: High Fashion, Portrait, Glamour (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Tumblr (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link)
5D Mark II, 70‐200mm f/2.8L IS, 24‐105mm f/4L IS, 100mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, Speedlite 580ex II

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 16, 2012 17:43 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

I understand your sentiment. I believe the manager initially agreed to reward you for your honesty was in the hope that you will return the lens. So, they deceived you and hoping that you won't just take the lens. Once they got the lens back, they didn't care much. True, you shouldn't expect rewards for performing good deeds. However, this isn't about some life and death situations. However, I believe BorrowLens is obligated to fulfill their verbal agreement with you. If not 2 free rentals, at least maybe 1. Let's hope that they don't ship out an extra lens in the future. Of course, they will ban you from borrowing their lenses since you are a bit pissed off and have been deceived. I am sure you will spread the words....:)

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 16, 2012 18:47 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

I've lost count of the number of times someone has offered a customer something that they weren't authorized to offer. People screw up. It happens.

You did the right thing in returning the lenses. Had the original guy never said anything, you would've been left with a warm fuzzy feeling, and you would've been happy with that.

The woman you spoke with offered you $200.00. I seem to recall $200.00 meaning a lot to poor college students.

Does it suck that they wouldn't give you the two free rentals? Yeah, I guess it does. Did you get beligerent and lie to the woman? Hell, I don't know.

You probably should've just taken the two bills and called it a day...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

tats
869 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 16, 2012 19:34 |  #7

BreitlingFan wrote in post #14277218 (external link)
I've lost count of the number of times someone has offered a customer something that they weren't authorized to offer. People screw up. It happens.

You did the right thing in returning the lenses. Had the original guy never said anything, you would've been left with a warm fuzzy feeling, and you would've been happy with that.

The woman you spoke with offered you $200.00. I seem to recall $200.00 meaning a lot to poor college students.

Does it suck that they wouldn't give you the two free rentals? Yeah, I guess it does. Did you get beligerent and lie to the woman? Hell, I don't know.

You probably should've just taken the two bills and called it a day...

It was $50....

Rob
Canon 5DMkII -- Zeiss 21 2.8 -- 35L -- 50 1.8 -- 70-200 2.8L IS II FOR SALE -- 2X III Extender SOLD
Feedback/Gear --- Flickr (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 16, 2012 19:47 |  #8

It's not good that they went back on their word, but in the end they didn't really do anything all that bad.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,601 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 16, 2012 20:19 |  #9

charliecurran wrote in post #14276633 (external link)
He said that sounded fair, and that when I returned the lenses we would take care of the reward.

...the problem with the internet and stories like these is that we only really have one side of the story.

If what you say the person you spoke to is true: this doesn't look like an agreement for two free rentals to me. Does he think it was fair? Yeah he probably did. Will you get a reward if you return the lenses? Yep, they offered you a reward: just not the one you were hoping for.

Unless you can supply a transcript of exactly what was said by the person you spoke to there is no proof an offer was made: and I sense from the way you worded what you wrote even you have doubt an offer was made.

I'm not calling you a liar: but it is very easy to mis-remember things and you may only remember the things that you want to remember. Having said that I'm sure that someone from Borrow Lenses .com will be along shortly though to give their side of the story anyway.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

jcpoulin
Goldmember
2,447 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 16, 2012 22:06 |  #10

tim wrote in post #14277546 (external link)
It's not good that they went back on their word, but in the end they didn't really do anything all that bad.

On a legal sense perhaps, but on a business sense...not so good!

Imagine if you told a client would receive a $200 credit towards a purchase from you...then the next day, you told them never mind...I will give you $25 instead...how would that work for your business model?

1DX , 7D,16-35, 24-70 2.8II, 2.8L II, , 70-200 f2.8LII IS, 300 f2.8L IS, 500 f4 IS, 100-400L, Canon 100 2.8 macro, Canon 1.4X, 580ex, AB800X4
Canon CPS Member, PPA
www.capturingtimephoto​graphy.net (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 16, 2012 22:09 as a reply to  @ jcpoulin's post |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

FYI, they have a Facebook page....;)

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 16, 2012 22:23 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

tats wrote in post #14277465 (external link)
It was $50....

Then what was all this about:

charliecurran wrote in post #14276633 (external link)
I'll be honest. This was the point at which I lost my composure. She told me that the most that she could offer me was $200.00, and that was all she was willing to part with. I told her that I was so disgusted by the way I was being treated, so angry being called a liar, that she could keep her $200.00 dollars.

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

NounStudio
387 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 16, 2012 22:47 |  #13

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with them.

In all fairness, I've rented from them exactly one time, and ran into a problem with getting my lens right before leaving on vacation. (I don't believe it was any fault of theirs... I think the shipping company held it an extra day). When I told them this, they immediately recalled the lens in transit, and sent another to the hotel I was going to be staying at (which is something they normally won't do).

Great customer service for me.

I find it interesting that they refused your next order.

My website.... www.nounstudio.com (external link)

My Flickr... http://www.flickr.com/​photos/21456873@N08/ (external link)

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 17, 2012 05:58 |  #14

NounStudio wrote in post #14278565 (external link)
I'm sorry to hear about your experience with them.

In all fairness, I've rented from them exactly one time, and ran into a problem with getting my lens right before leaving on vacation. (I don't believe it was any fault of theirs... I think the shipping company held it an extra day). When I told them this, they immediately recalled the lens in transit, and sent another to the hotel I was going to be staying at (which is something they normally won't do).

Great customer service for me.

I find it interesting that they refused your next order.

therein lies the "other" side of the side. Even the OP's telling of the story he sounded to me to get a bit demanding and chastising with the company

and once again....a good deed is just that.....not a vehicle for a reward.

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

CMfromIL
623 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 17, 2012 08:15 |  #15

OP, you sound like the same type of person that finds a lost dog, calls the owner and before agreeing to return said dog wants to 'figure out what kind of reward' you will be getting.

The lenses were not yours, and you returned them. Bravo. Anything else and you sound like an ungrateful 6 year old pouting that you were wronged for doing the right thing.

Like me on facebook! http://www.facebook.co​m/CollinMcKahinPhotogr​aphy (external link)

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

53,567 views & 0 likes for this thread, 50 members have posted to it.
A cautionary tale about Borrow Lenses.com
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.