Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Apr 2012 (Tuesday) 06:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5DMKIII

GWLS
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 17, 2012 06:15 as a reply to  @ James504's post |  #1

5DMKIII

I'm loving the 5D3 , but found another issue, in the Custom Controls options, once I've set what I want the M-Fn button to do what I want... it forgets it after a few seconds of using it.

sponsored links
James504
431 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 17, 2012 08:58 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

Just asking, what is so great about the new 5D? Seriously...why should i get rid of my MKII and upgrade?

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 17, 2012 09:00 as a reply to  @ James504's post |  #3

There are dozens of these same topics. If you think the difference does not warranty an upgrade, no need to upgrade. Just because III is out does not make the MKII obsolete. You should know by looking at the specs if it warrants an upgrade (AF, ISO performance, etc...)

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 17, 2012 09:00 as a reply to  @ James504's post |  #4

The main reason to upgrade would be if you want the better autofocus system, and better higher ISO shots. If you don't do the kind of shooting that necessitates that, then upgrading doesn't make much sense. So for say a studio shooter, there's no compelling reason to upgrade really.

Gear List

Kechar
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 17, 2012 09:06 as a reply to  @ James504's post |  #5

Really...read up a bit...this has been explained a bunch here.

flickr (external link) KCharron.net (external link) - 5D mark III (gripped) | 24-70 2.8 VC | 85 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L
[LIGHTING: 3 Einsteins, AB400, CyberCommander, 2 VLMs w/2 spare bats, 2 64" PLMs, 24x32 softbox, 22" BD, grids and diffusers, Avenger stands and boom.]

RSMarco
Goldmember
1,006 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 17, 2012 09:16 as a reply to  @ James504's post |  #6

Why don't you start by reading the 5D MKIII owners thread..?

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 17, 2012 09:40 as a reply to  @ RSMarco's post |  #7

So for say a studio shooter, there's no compelling reason to upgrade really.

Up to a few weeks ago I would have agreed with you. When assisting my buddy shoot in studio with a 5D2 I watched it refuse to lock on using the outer AF points. This is a typical studio, 2 strobes, white back drop, table with objects, and there was also a 100w bulb to help with AF. The 5D2 still couldn't lock on at times. To see what my 5D3 could do, I had him turn off the 100w bulb and I was able to lock on using an outer AF point in a much darker environment.

That sold me on the fact that I made the right decision.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 17, 2012 09:46 as a reply to  @ James504's post |  #8

Wait, there's a 5D MKIII?!?
Holy S.

:lol:

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,254 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 17, 2012 09:53 as a reply to  @ James504's post |  #9

I'm waiting for the 5D Mark IV.... I hear it will have a bazillion megapixel sensor, a built-in cappuccino maker and a dedicated Direct Print button! ;)

I haven't upgraded yet, but will eventually (I'll wait for the dust to settle and all the beta testing to be sorted out)...

For me the key features are high ISO capabilities/noise handling (supposedly two stops higher than 5DII) and the improvements to bracketing for HDR (up to 7 frame bracketing, 5DII and all other Canon can only bracket 3 frames). Silent mode/quieter operation will be very useful to me, too.

The radically improved AF will be great, but the way I use a FF camera (alongside a couple crop cameras that serve for most sports/action) it just isn't a major game changer for me right now. The 100% viewfinder will be nice, too, but the 98% VF of the 5DII wasn't bad at all. The battery grip, when it's avail., will have a secondary joystick and that's a welcome addition. I'm sure I'll find some other things to love about it... but it's early, I just finished filing my taxes and these things are all that comes to mind.... and for me it's just speculation right now.

Personally I don't see an immediate need to upgrade. 5DII is still serving me just fine and doing all I need it to do. So I'll wait a while. But that's just me... Someone else might feel differently about it.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

James504
431 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 17, 2012 10:10 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Invertalon wrote in post #14280270 (external link)
There are dozens of these same topics. If you think the difference does not warranty an upgrade, no need to upgrade. Just because III is out does not make the MKII obsolete. You should know by looking at the specs if it warrants an upgrade (AF, ISO performance, etc...)

Kechar wrote in post #14280299 (external link)
Really...read up a bit...this has been explained a bunch here.

RSMarco wrote in post #14280355 (external link)
Why don't you start by reading the 5D MKIII owners thread..?

all ignored....don't waste your precious time with comments like these...if you feel the thread should not be here then feel free for your comments not to be here.

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 17, 2012 10:13 as a reply to  @ James504's post |  #11

But I did answer.... I mentioned ISO and AF improvements, the two largest changes over the 5D2. Other then that, it is just smaller things. So it is up to you to decide.

There is so much information in the past few weeks about this camera, that is why everyone is telling you to skim a little in the 5D3 owner thread and such. It has really be discussed to death already.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

James504
431 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 17, 2012 10:15 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

amfoto1 wrote in post #14280560 (external link)
Personally I don't see an immediate need to upgrade. 5DII is still serving me just fine and doing all I need it to do. So I'll wait a while. But that's just me... Someone else might feel differently about it.

This is basically how I feel, however I was looking for some input form the III owners just to see how they felt about the upgrade...thank you for your response. I am reading a review at the moment, just trying to understand the hype.

James504
431 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 17, 2012 10:18 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

Invertalon wrote in post #14280661 (external link)
But I did answer.... I mentioned ISO and AF improvements, the two largest changes over the 5D2. Other then that, it is just smaller things. So it is up to you to decide.

There is so much information in the past few weeks about this camera, that is why everyone is telling you to skim a little in the 5D3 owner thread and such. It has really be discussed to death already.

I have not discussed it...like I said , if you feel its a waste of tread space...feel free not to take any of it up yourself.

KCY
Unlocked the hidden 117 point AF
7,170 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 17, 2012 10:18 as a reply to  @ James504's post |  #14

except you decided to ignore the 5D3 owners and just agree with the one who has the same opinion as yourself?

KC - The Circle of PoTN - Member of the UCPC
My Gear|My Smugmug (external link)|Pong

James504
431 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 17, 2012 10:18 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

nicksan wrote in post #14280523 (external link)
Wait, there's a 5D MKIII?!?
Holy S.

:lol:

Reading the link in your sig =]

sponsored links

4,510 views & 0 likes for this thread
5DMKIII
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.