Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 21 Apr 2012 (Saturday) 19:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best Buy closing 50 stores

Virto
Goldmember
1,647 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 25, 2012 11:09 |  #61

Noitca wrote in post #14326258 (external link)
I remember going through "training" in the Home Theater department about selling the Monster Cable fiber optic cable, and why that was better than the Best Buy brand.

I all but told the guy that he was full of crap, and I refused to push that product.

PC/HO was a nightmare, especially for someone that knew most of the products were either crap or highly overpriced. We were required to push a little hand cart filled with a 100 dollar surge protector, a ream of crap printer paper, a gold-plated printer cable, canned air and a bunch of other garbage with every PC sale.

After that, you had to try to convince them that they need to buy a service plan for another 200 bucks because your expensive new PC will probably break. They just do that, you know.

I didn't last long after I called out the GM in front of some customers.

Kelly - EOS 5D - EOS 40D - Rebel XS - EOS 10D - EOS 1D - SX230 - AE-1 - OM-1n - Minolta Himatic7 - EOS-1N
ABR800 - Several flashes, remote triggers, stands, too many and yet not enough lenses

sponsored links
RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 25, 2012 21:15 |  #62

My bad experience from them was when I was helping a friend buy a laptop. The rep said they did not have any in stock according to their computer. I said alright no biggie and looked for a different one. Then I looked at another laptop and noticed they had laptops under the displays in a locked fenced in area so I looked and I found the laptop she was looking for. I told the rep it's there and I wanted it. The rep said it cannot be sold since they are not in stock. I looked and said to the rep, your computer is wrong because it's right in front of me. The rep said, it cannot be sold because the BB bloatware crap isn't on it. I said that is BS and I want a manager NOW! A manager came over and said the same thing but if I did want it, they would have to charge me an extra $100. I just said very loudly, "it's in front of me and your not going to sell if to me, this is CRAP, and your going to charge me extra $100 for that model that didn't have BB crap on it. This is complete crap and this is why no one should buy anything from BB. No where in the ad does it say it cannot be sold without BB crap on it" We went back and fourth for a few seconds and he just ended up selling it at the advertise price. He then said to me, there will be no backup and we will not be able to remotely support it. I just said, GOOD!, less software for me to uninstall and none of the annoying pop crap to deal with.

I only go to BB is I know what I want and if they have it in stock according to their website or unless the deal is great. 85% of the people working there have no idea what's going on. They couldn't tell me differences between the T3i and 60D before I bought it except that the 60D has a faster FPS and a different lens.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 25, 2012 21:56 as a reply to  @ RHChan84's post |  #63

Even worse now days lots of house brand flash drives come preloaded with crapware too. You have to be careful about anything you buy now days it's pretty sad.

koufax80
44 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 25, 2012 22:35 |  #64

Virto wrote in post #14325908 (external link)
Lol, yhea. We were required to upsell you on a double-shielded gold-plated cable that cost 49.99. Not that it makes any difference whatsoever, especially back on some model year 2000 bubblejet. We were actually told to take the regular cables off the rack and hide them behind the counter, so people would be forced to buy the gold-plated cables for 10-20 dollars more, unless they specifically asked if we had any others.

Ha! We had to try to figure out if they were buying the service plan before we "checked" to see if the item was in stock... HORRIBLE.

7D :: 24-70mm f2.8 L :: 24-105mm f4 L :: 70-200mm f4.0 L :: 50mm f1.8

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 25, 2012 22:36 |  #65

It is. I don't mind what SanDisk since they come with a nice utility for backing up.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

Northern ­ Eagle
319 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 27, 2012 08:00 |  #66

Ah, good ol' Theft Buy (will rob you of your money)... oh well... I only ever went in there for hands on if they had the camera I was interested in...

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 27, 2012 10:31 |  #67

Ron Bailey wrote in post #14306702 (external link)
The internet hatchet claims another head.

No, I'd say it's mismanagement, poor customer service, unrealistic prices, and until recently the restocking fees (that they discontinued too late).

I still shop locally for lots of things. The good stores have competitive pricing, knowledgeable staff, and I don't mind paying 6% tax for convenience. A lot of "internet" stores are local shops with a good Internet sales strategy (BB also has Internet storefront but they suck at that, too).

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 27, 2012 10:49 |  #68

tkbslc wrote in post #14313166 (external link)
Sales tax law has a lot to do with it.

Not really. The sales tax in MI is 6%, not such big of a difference for something you're getting right away. The biggest differences are pricing and customer service.The customer service experience with an "impersonal" internet store is often way better than with a local B&M one. The ability to get a decent, clear, experience based answer to any item-related question is much better with an internet store. And if you ever have a problem with an item, in my experience negotiating with an online store (which has a reputation to maintain) is easier than with some $12/hr shift manager who's been miserable for the last 20 years of her life and doesn't give a sh1t anymore.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

Virto
Goldmember
1,647 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 30, 2012 11:07 |  #69

Amamba wrote in post #14338496 (external link)
No, I'd say it's mismanagement, poor customer service, unrealistic prices, and until recently the restocking fees (that they discontinued too late).

I still shop locally for lots of things. The good stores have competitive pricing, knowledgeable staff, and I don't mind paying 6% tax for convenience. A lot of "internet" stores are local shops with a good Internet sales strategy (BB also has Internet storefront but they suck at that, too).

Agreed. Nothing like buying and paying for something online, getting charged and then getting an email 6 hours later, just before you leave the office to head to the store for pickup, saying that they're all sold out. That's great, and then you get to wait 3 days for them to refund your credit card.

Like so many big chains, individual branches were horribly mis-managed, and the sales teams became less and less knowledgeable as they struggled to fill positions with anyone that could walk in off the street.

Sales tax is not a killer for me, as I'll happily go to the store and plunk down the extra if I want something in my hands right away, but BB often has high base prices, which make it unattractive to shop there from the start.

Kelly - EOS 5D - EOS 40D - Rebel XS - EOS 10D - EOS 1D - SX230 - AE-1 - OM-1n - Minolta Himatic7 - EOS-1N
ABR800 - Several flashes, remote triggers, stands, too many and yet not enough lenses

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 30, 2012 11:53 |  #70

Amamba wrote in post #14338603 (external link)
Not really. The sales tax in MI is 6%, not such big of a difference for something you're getting right away.

I didn't say sales tax was the ONLY reason.

A recent report said BB was about 4% higher priced than Amazon on average. Add another and you are talking $50 per $500 difference. That's a lot. Most can easily wait 2-4 days for Amazon or newegg to deliver.

I do think they need to vastly improve their online shopping and store integration, though. No excuse there.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

JAnders
223 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 30, 2012 15:05 |  #71

Glad to see I am not the only one who hates Best Buy! I read they were closing stores a few months after my self imposed boycott and thought, "gee, I did that!" :D

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 30, 2012 15:37 |  #72

I'll look through their ad and see whats on sale but rarely go in there to buy something. The most recent thing I have bought from them was my GPS that I needed and couldn't way since my old one crapped out on my a few days before I had to go away for work.
I thought about buying online but after shipping overnight, I would of broke even if I bought it at BB. The guy did try to sell me to the bigger one which is a bit more expensive but I travel too much to carry a bigger one around but after I told him nah, he stopped. But usually, they seem to upsell a lot when I go in there.
Upsell in a bad way though.

Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

4,637 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best Buy closing 50 stores
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.