Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 23 Apr 2012 (Monday) 08:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Oak Rum - product photography

tewlman
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 23, 2012 08:11 |  #1

My first go at product photography is with some great guys that have started their own distillery in the barrel house of the old James E Pepper distillery in Lexington, KY. your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Update: I went back and took some more shots with altered lighting. Does the 2nd shot look better than the first?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

oak rum (external link) by steve_southerland (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

oak rum 2 (external link) by steve_southerland (external link), on Flickr

My Gear My Flickr (external link)
some feedback
Like my photos? Then "like" my Facebook page! (external link)

sponsored links
Foodguy
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 23, 2012 08:29 |  #2

Just my .02...

It's a competent photograph but I find the bank light reflection a bit distracting and the overall image a little flat. It might benefit at this point from additional sharpening and saturation/contrast. That potentially could affect the edges of the bottle where it meets the background though.

When doing these kinds of images, I'll often use a black card to reflect on the very edges of the bottle to add a little more contrast and definition to the bottle edges.

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 23, 2012 08:43 |  #3

nice, but i don't like the reflection in center/left

tewlman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 23, 2012 09:25 |  #4

I'll have to try some with a black card and see if I can get it to work for me. On the reflection, I have studied product photos in numerous magazines and see some people that have them and some that don't. I would prefer to not photoshop it and am open to lighting setup recommendations to better deal with it before the shutter clicks.

some feedback

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,278 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Apr 23, 2012 09:33 |  #5

The way some photographers get the liquid in the bottles to really stand out (that kinda glow) is they cut out the bottom of the seamless and base being very careful to cut it to the exact shape of the glass or bottle sitting on it and put a light in from below. Bring the key light in from almost behind the product and use reflectors to kick in light to the front being very careful not to get glare from the reflectors.

tewlman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 23, 2012 09:53 |  #6

thanks for the input Allen. I thought about lighting from the bottom but will have to do some serious work to my setup to make that happen. Lighting from behind and reflecting back on the front also has good merit and might be easier for me to implement.

some feedback

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 23, 2012 10:50 |  #7

Not sure that lighting from below will make the liquid 'glow'. Maybe I'm wrong...would love to see an example.

If you want the liquid to glow, place a gold card on the back side, leaning from the bottom of the bottle at an angle to catch light and reflect the color back through the bottle. Even a white card would help, depending on the amount of glow you're looking for. Cutting the card to the shape of the bottle. Getting it right can be tedious though as the bottle will distort the card showing the edges. If the shot is for a silo, it doesn't matter. you'll also want to cut it so that it doesn't show through the clear neck...again it takes a while to do properly. You also have the disadvantage of the glass bottle being clear with no condensation to 'hide' any shortcomings with the card.

As far as backlighting, what you're really doing is lighting the seamless behind the bottle, again to direct a lighter surface through the bottle. A direct light on the liquid itself won't have much effect imo.

I've shot bottles for decades and have a stash of cards made from previous jobs...that saves a little time.

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 23, 2012 11:38 as a reply to  @ Foodguy's post |  #8

Your second version has a nicer light, imo. Slightly heavy in exposure but not much...especially so if it's going to be silo'd....but I much prefer the lack of bank light reflection. Overall though, this is much richer. A Levels adjustment would really make it pop. Nice job.

I tried to find an example of a card reflected through a liquid, and in short time this was the best that I could do. This has the advantage of condensation/ice etc to hide the card edges (especially if not cut properly) but hopefully will convey the general idea. Without the card in the drink, there'd only be dark blue coming through the cup, and the aim here was realism, not necessarily 'glow' but that's only a short hop away in technique.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i17.photobucket​.com …b77/Gary_T/Ocea​nSpray.jpg (external link)

airfrogusmc
36,278 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 23, 2012 11:45 |  #9

Foodguy wrote in post #14313140 (external link)
Not sure that lighting from below will make the liquid 'glow'. Maybe I'm wrong...would love to see an example.

If you want the liquid to glow, place a gold card on the back side, leaning from the bottom of the bottle at an angle to catch light and reflect the color back through the bottle. Even a white card would help, depending on the amount of glow you're looking for. Cutting the card to the shape of the bottle. Getting it right can be tedious though as the bottle will distort the card showing the edges. If the shot is for a silo, it doesn't matter. you'll also want to cut it so that it doesn't show through the clear neck...again it takes a while to do properly. You also have the disadvantage of the glass bottle being clear with no condensation to 'hide' any shortcomings with the card.

As far as backlighting, what you're really doing is lighting the seamless behind the bottle, again to direct a lighter surface through the bottle. A direct light on the liquid itself won't have much effect imo.

I've shot bottles for decades and have a stash of cards made from previous jobs...that saves a little time.

You see it a lot in beer photos. You can tell that was the method when the beer has that real attractive golden look to it. You can also back light it with a spot but the lighting it from below ALSO is a great way t opunch up a light to med liquid in a bottle or glass. You will still need a ket light and quit possible several fill light or reflectors. IIRC I think Dean Collins shows how to do this on one of his videos.

tewlman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 23, 2012 11:46 |  #10

thanks for the input and the example. I will add the card trick to the list of ideas I would like to pursue in lighting bottles. this picture is a bad example of lighting from underneath. It was actually taken while we enjoyed the product, we lit it with a surefire and used an iPhone for the capture.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7082/7067554799_e4bae48607_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …e_southerland/7​067554799/  (external link)
photo (external link) by steve_southerland (external link), on Flickr

some feedback

tewlman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 23, 2012 11:47 |  #11

not sure what happened to the bottom of the photo

some feedback

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 23, 2012 11:51 as a reply to  @ tewlman's post |  #12

^ yup, what I'd expect from bottom lighting.

Trust me on this one, the attractive beer photos you see have a gold card behind them! and if the card has a slight curve to it it will render a gradation of 'glow'. Should add that the card has light on it...not 'just a card'.

airfrogusmc
36,278 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 23, 2012 11:52 as a reply to  @ Foodguy's post |  #13

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

airfrogusmc
36,278 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 23, 2012 11:54 |  #14

tewlman wrote in post #14313396 (external link)
thanks for the input and the example. I will add the card trick to the list of ideas I would like to pursue in lighting bottles. this picture is a bad example of lighting from underneath. It was actually taken while we enjoyed the product, we lit it with a surefire and used an iPhone for the capture.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …e_southerland/7​067554799/  (external link)
photo (external link) by steve_southerland (external link), on Flickr[/IMG]

Just wasn't done propery. A smaller openng and the light is way to strong. Bring it down a couple stops at least. And your still going to need a ket light and fill.

What we used to do was put a large piece of foam core or cardboard that light won't pass through cut the right size hole and put that on a large frosted light table. Then roll out the seamless over that and cut the hole in the seamless and then light the producteexactly the way we would if were weren't going to put a light through the bottom. Then put the light through the botton and get the ratoi so it just pops up the liquid but doesn't blow everyhting out. But key is the defusion on the light table the right size hole in the cardboard and seamless and the correct exposre from the light under the light table.

tewlman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 23, 2012 11:58 |  #15

airfrogusmc wrote in post #14313425 (external link)
IMAGE NOT FOUND PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i4.photobucket.​com …c/beer_advertis​ing_09.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

very creative and I am assuming the beer glass was lit from underneath?

some feedback

sponsored links

5,834 views & 0 likes for this thread
Oak Rum - product photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.