Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 23 Apr 2012 (Monday) 12:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photography software

Ronny ­ Geenen
125 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 23, 2012 12:12 |  #1

I was last Sunday at a photo expo in Pasadena California and saw a marketing presentation by a guy of NIK software, which can be find on the http://bongobytes.com (external link)
What that guy could do with that program is amazing and my question is: Is photo software close to take over the photography? Has the photographer to become also more an artist. Just take pictures and alter, modify, merge and all other options that are available to him/her. Or to make it short is the software artist taken it over from the photographer within the coming 5 years?
Any thoughts?

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 23, 2012 13:10 |  #2

Photography and "graphics arts" have overlapped for, well, a long time. There is nothing new there! Photographers take photos. Graphic artists do what they do. Software makes the graphic arts part a bit more "doable" to more people, just like digital P&S cameras and iPhones make photography a bit more "doable" to more people.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,477 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 23, 2012 16:51 |  #3

Photography and "graphics arts" have overlapped for, well, a long time.

You seem to have rediscovered the wheel. Spend a few minutes with Google and look up Henry Peach Robinson, Oscar Rejlander, Man Ray, Christian Schad, and Jerry Uelsman for a start.

Elie / אלי

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 23, 2012 23:45 as a reply to  @ tzalman's post |  #4

Photography from the earliest time was about the art. Sure you can do other things like capture memories but those are snapshots. To really create something requires you to use whatever tools are at your disposal and often involves making new things up which is how we ended up where we are now. Once you use a reflector, a flash, on the shoot, or use some basic dodging or burning on the darkroom, you have crossed the line into "unnatural". The tools available now allow you to create things we could picture in our minds before but were very difficult to bring to life. Enjoy it. I sure do. I do miss the general feel of the darkroom; watching an image appear on the paper in the developing tray. But I wouldn't go back to it.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

IslandCrow
589 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 24, 2012 16:07 |  #5

Just like the camera, these photo editing programs are simply tools you use to achieve your artistic vision, so just as kfreels said (well, paraphrasing), photographers have always been artists. . .no less so than a painter, sculptor, etc. I really like the idea of the Nik tools. I currently only own Silver EFEX Pro, but I've tried most of the others, and they work very well to making your life easier. They should never control what your final image looks like. They should simply help you get to what you've already envisioned.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 25, 2012 09:01 |  #6

Best software for the job is the one that is stable, has a decent feature set, and that you are familiar with. I know some people who do amazing work quickly and effectively in GIMP, but struggle with the latest photoshop.

Poke around for options, but don't blow thousands in software just because it has a prettier box. Always ask yourself "How will this make my job easier, or let me do my work better." before deciding. If you can't come up with a good answer, then you likely shouldn't switch.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 25, 2012 09:59 |  #7

zeorgehenry wrote in post #14324795 (external link)
I am a photographer but I am not professional photographer. I only use Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Allustrator for editing my photos. If any one have ideas for best software for photo editing please let me know on this post.

If you have Adobe Photoshop then you have the "industry standard" software for photo processing! There are "specialty" apps that people use along with Photoshop for various things but they are "add-ons".

And then there is an app like Lightroom that is designed for organizing and outputting your photos efficiently.

To go beyond all that you need to be specific about what you are wanting/needing to do with your photos.

Here is a sub-forum to spend time in:

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1094897

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

755 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photography software
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.