Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 27 Apr 2012 (Friday) 01:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

LR4 support for 5 D MKIII

lawdog2k
960 posts
Joined May 2011

May 03, 2012 20:51 |  #16

Mines working great with 5d3 on my MacBook pro. I've not done much editing, but I get previews before importing and the best part is they actually import now. I'm running the newest update of lion on my puter.

A guy with a couple cameras, some lenses, and accoutrements
Freelance for Magazines
Gear&Feedback | Flickr (external link) | Website (external link)

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 04, 2012 00:03 |  #17

idsurfer wrote in post #14374673 (external link)
That's a big negative...you will have to go the LR4 with the RC1 or RC2 update. Kind of a pain. I was totally fine with LR3.

kouasupra wrote in post #14375585 (external link)
Damn... More hidden fees...LOL.

Well, one more thing to be aware of and that's that LR4 will not support Windows XP. So, that can be another reason to use the DNG converter with 5D3 files!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,871 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 04, 2012 07:44 |  #18

With Win 8 already in pubic beta....Win XP uses need a plan to move on....regardless of the question about which LR version to use. I tried Win 8....and was so impressed....I converted my desktop to a Hackintosh. It runs OS 10.7.3 Lion just fine.

canon ­ shooter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 04, 2012 22:50 as a reply to  @ post 14375767 |  #19

I think Adobe released update today for ACR for MKIII, anyone heard about fix for LR4?

Jim

5D Mark III Grip, 40D Grip, Canon 17-40L, Canon 24-105 F4L IS, Canon 70-200 IS II F2.8L, Canon 100-400L, Canon 50 F1.4, Canon 100 F2.8, Canon 580 EX
It's the Glass that Counts!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 05, 2012 16:41 |  #20

canon shooter wrote in post #14381887 (external link)
I think Adobe released update today for ACR for MKIII, anyone heard about fix for LR4?

I think LR4 is still using RC2 -- nothing shows up if you do a Check for Updates. But the RC updates do support the 5D3.

I'm not sure what you are referring to about ACR -- are you talking about something for the CS6 Beta/ACR7? I haven't heard of anything, you still need the CS5 ACR with the update for that to get 5D3 support.

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

dchen99
860 posts
Joined May 2006

May 18, 2012 02:46 |  #21

Is it just me or anyone else out there finding that the LR4.1 RC2 is very slow rendering 5D3 RAW?

www.flashonstudio.com (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 18, 2012 11:28 |  #22

Slow compared to what? Lightroom does a lot "under the hood", but you also have to realize that 5D3 files are the biggest Raw files Canon cameras put out, so they will be "slow" comparatively.

Have you followed the suggestions that have been put out here and in various places to "optimize" the perforance of Lightroom? I'm on a laptop right now and don't have anything bookmarked, but in particular links have been given to LightroomQueen.com where Victoria Bampton has given some good detailed advice on speeding up Lightroom in your system. Maybe someone can toss out a links, or Google can help you if you search for things like "lightroom speed", "optimize lightroom" and such, especially keeping your eye out for a LightroomQueen link.

'Course you could try alternatives for "quick work" such as the Canon software Digital Photo Professional (DPP).

Tony

dchen99
860 posts
Joined May 2006

May 18, 2012 12:36 |  #23

tonylong wrote in post #14450878 (external link)
Slow compared to what? Lightroom does a lot "under the hood", but you also have to realize that 5D3 files are the biggest Raw files Canon cameras put out, so they will be "slow" comparatively.

Have you followed the suggestions that have been put out here and in various places to "optimize" the perforance of Lightroom? I'm on a laptop right now and don't have anything bookmarked, but in particular links have been given to LightroomQueen.com where Victoria Bampton has given some good detailed advice on speeding up Lightroom in your system. Maybe someone can toss out a links, or Google can help you if you search for things like "lightroom speed", "optimize lightroom" and such, especially keeping your eye out for a LightroomQueen link.

'Course you could try alternatives for "quick work" such as the Canon software Digital Photo Professional (DPP).

Thanks for the info, very helpful.

I was comparing to 5D Mark II raw rendering, especially when it renders the 1:1 view, 5D3 RAW takes almost twice as long as the 5D2 RAW rendering.

I will try to apply some of the optimizations to see what happens.

www.flashonstudio.com (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 18, 2012 12:46 |  #24

dchen99 wrote in post #14451260 (external link)
Thanks for the info, very helpful.

I was comparing to 5D Mark II raw rendering, especially when it renders the 1:1 view, 5D3 RAW takes almost twice as long as the 5D2 RAW rendering.

I will try to apply some of the optimizations to see what happens.

Yeah, I'd check the optimization options out!

As to why a 5D3 file would take twice as long as a 5D2 file, that is strange, since they are about the same resolution. Yes, the 5D3 has some new features, but the data on those are in the "Maker's Notes", not in the Raw data itself, so I wouldn't think that they would slow things down.

Have you gone to the Adobe Forum to ask about this and maybe log a "bug report"?

Tony

sponsored links

3,823 views & 0 likes for this thread
LR4 support for 5 D MKIII
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.