Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Apr 2012 (Friday) 02:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bells and Whistles...

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 27, 2012 13:53 |  #16

TeamSpeed wrote in post #14337551 (external link)
1) Video on a DSLR is here to stay
2) Video costs on a DSLR is neglible to say the least, Canon had video figured out a decade ago, and once they added Live View to DSLRs, video was a no brainer
3) Video on a DSLR does NOTHING to your still capabilities
4) If you don't like it, don't use it. In fact on cameras like the 1D4 and 5D2, it is so hidden that it is easy to even forget it has video, unlike the 7D and 5D3... :D

+1

Yno wrote in post #14337847 (external link)
I would postulate that adding video decreases the cost of cameras considerably, simply because it is a feature that sells more cameras. A stripped down stills only no frills camera would be a small production niche market item, and probably cost a lot more.

i agree. fragmenting the model line like that would raise production and marketing costs, and inevitably costs to the consumer.

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

sponsored links
madjack
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,027 posts
Gallery: 198 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 27, 2012 14:58 as a reply to  @ alt4852's post |  #17

Thanks for all the replies. I was curious to see how most people felt about this. Its pretty obvious its more popular than I figured. I thought features like excellent AF or being waterproof or even having wifi would be more desirable. Wrong Again...
(goes back to his favorite chair)

Canon 5D Mk IV | Canon 5D Mk II | Canon 7D | Canon 30D
Canon EF 16-35L IS | Canon EF 24-105L IS | Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 IS II | Canon EF 100-400L IS II | Canon EF 50mm-f/1.8
Canon EF-S 17-85 IS | Canon EF-S 18-55 | Canon EF 70-300 IS | RRS TVC 34L Tripod | RRS BH-55 Ballhead

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 27, 2012 15:05 |  #18

madjack wrote in post #14339929 (external link)
Thanks for all the replies. I was curious to see how most people felt about this. Its pretty obvious its more popular than I figured. I thought features like excellent AF or being waterproof or even having wifi would be more desirable. Wrong Again...

i think it's a logical fallacy to assume that they're mutually exclusive. i think the fact of the matter is, the inclusion of video is not added at the expense of things like better AF or weather resistance.

the new 5D3 has all three, and wifi accessories are available. in lower end models, canon is not including video at the expense of better AF and build. they simply can not and/or will not include premium features in cheaper models. as others have said, the existence of live view on a model essentially gives it all it needs to offer video recording. if you want great AF, weather resistance, and wifi, buy one of the models that has all of those options. they're already on the market.

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 27, 2012 16:05 |  #19

madjack wrote in post #14339929 (external link)

yeah, video is nice and I don't think it's going away anytime soon despite your protestations.

madjack
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,027 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 27, 2012 16:59 |  #20

alt4852 wrote in post #14339971 (external link)
i think it's a logical fallacy to assume that they're mutually exclusive. i think the fact of the matter is, the inclusion of video is not added at the expense of things like better AF or weather resistance.

the new 5D3 has all three, and wifi accessories are available. in lower end models, canon is not including video at the expense of better AF and build. they simply can not and/or will not include premium features in cheaper models. as others have said, the existence of live view on a model essentially gives it all it needs to offer video recording. if you want great AF, weather resistance, and wifi, buy one of the models that has all of those options. they're already on the market.

I noticed in your sig line you have a couple of 5d II's. Do you feel that model is considered cheap enough to not merit good AF? To me $2200.00 is pretty good money and better AF is not to much to ask at that price point especially when the 7d has better AF and is less expensive.
I do see your argument that the inclusion of video is not added at the expense of other options. I always assumed putting video in a camera was not a cheap thing to do. My bad.

Canon EF 16-35L IS | Canon EF 24-105L IS | Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 IS II | Canon EF 100-400L IS II | Canon EF 50mm-f/1.8
Canon EF-S 17-85 IS | Canon EF-S 18-55 | Canon EF 70-300 IS | RRS TVC 34L Tripod | RRS BH-55 Ballhead

Miki ­ G
Goldmember
1,163 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 27, 2012 17:37 |  #21

I've never had any interest in using the video feature on any of my DSLR's. I would use a proper camcorder for video & a DSLR for stills everytime. Likewise, I wouldn't use a camcorder for stills.
It kinda reminds me of using a tennis ball for a football match. You can use it, but it's not really made for that purpose.

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 27, 2012 18:18 |  #22

In some way I disagree with that. I had a video camera and it was complete crap in anything other than bright sun, outdoors. On the other hand, a dSLR is a real **** if you need to follow focus. I have shot video of some concerts with my 5DII and there is NO way I would have been able to get passable video with a consumer/semi pro video camera.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 27, 2012 18:21 |  #23

madjack wrote in post #14340553 (external link)
I noticed in your sig line you have a couple of 5d II's. Do you feel that model is considered cheap enough to not merit good AF? To me $2200.00 is pretty good money and better AF is not to much to ask at that price point especially when the 7d has better AF and is less expensive.

Although not directed at me, I also use 2 x 5DII's. I don't disagree with you, as far as price but I would not get many more keepers with a better AF for what I shoot, regardless of how ancient the AF technology is in the 5DII.

Your mileage may vary.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 27, 2012 19:12 |  #24
bannedPermanent ban

madjack wrote in post #14336916 (external link)
I doubt they ever will, but I'd like to see Canon jettison the video features in their DSLR's and focus on giving customers better features for making still photos. I for one would rather have a better AF system than video in my camera, but then again I'm old and set in my ways.

Just curious to see if anyone else feels the same way.

How much better do you need than what is in the new 1dx?

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 27, 2012 19:13 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

LMP wrote in post #14336933 (external link)
Agreed, more than happy if they produced a non video version alongside the current models. I can see why they have integrated video but we don't all need this feature.

So if they removed the video from the 5d3 and still charged the same price you'll be happy?

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 27, 2012 19:19 |  #26
bannedPermanent ban

Miki G wrote in post #14340756 (external link)
I've never had any interest in using the video feature on any of my DSLR's. I would use a proper camcorder for video & a DSLR for stills everytime. Likewise, I wouldn't use a camcorder for stills.
It kinda reminds me of using a tennis ball for a football match. You can use it, but it's not really made for that purpose.

Yeh, who would ever want to use a phone to access e-mail, locate a restaurant or surf this photo forum. People sometimes need to emerge from their caves.

madjack
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,027 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 27, 2012 19:42 |  #27

Hogloff wrote in post #14341204 (external link)
Yeh, who would ever want to use a phone to access e-mail, locate a restaurant or surf this photo forum. People sometimes need to emerge from their caves.

Yeah your right. I hope the next model comes out with gps and has technology that can determine you have been shooting for more than four hours at a remote location and could be hungry, then recommend some fast food restaurants that deliver with speed dial numbers on the Lcd. It could automatically access your bank account for payment. The hell with a picture being in focus or protection from the rain. I mean who needs a phone that wont drop a call as long as it connects to facebook and twitter. Caves are cozy.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 27, 2012 19:47 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

madjack wrote in post #14341277 (external link)
Yeah your right. I hope the next model comes out with gps and has technology that can determine you have been shooting for more than four hours at a remote location and could be hungry, then recommend some fast food restaurants that deliver with speed dial numbers on the Lcd. It could automatically access your bank account for payment. The hell with a picture being in focus or protection from the rain. I mean who needs a phone that wont drop a call as long as it connects to facebook and twitter. Caves are cozy.

We already have great AF and weather sealing. Your gear might not have these features, but that is your personal choice of not paying the big bucks to get them. Now if you want great AF and weather sealing in a $500 camera...you better give Canon a call and convince them to sell you one at that price. That technology has been available for over 15 years...back in the film days.

madjack
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,027 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 27, 2012 19:52 |  #29

Hogloff wrote in post #14341302 (external link)
We already have great AF and weather sealing. Your gear might not have these features, but that is your personal choice of not paying the big bucks to get them. Now if you want great AF and weather sealing in a $500 camera...you better give Canon a call and convince them to sell you one at that price. That technology has been available for over 15 years...back in the film days.

I wouldn't expect it in a $500.00 camera, but its not that much of a stretch to expect it in a $2200.00 camera.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 27, 2012 19:58 |  #30
bannedPermanent ban

madjack wrote in post #14341314 (external link)
I wouldn't expect it in a $500.00 camera, but its not that much of a stretch to expect it in a $2200.00 camera.

You are talking about pricing here, not bells and whistles. Canon 1-series cameras have exactly what you are looking for, great AF and weather sealing. You want these features in a lower priced camera...so it's just a matter of pricing. Nothing at all to do with bells and whistles. It has everything to do with Canon's product separation based on feature sets and prices.

Nikon produced the d700 which contained great AF and weather sealing in your price range so it could be done. Canon decided to save those features for their high end pro cameras.

You want them features, you got to pay the big bucks. But, it has nothing to do with adding video into the 5d2. It has everything to artificially separate the professional cameras from the rest.

sponsored links

3,799 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bells and Whistles...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.