Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Apr 2012 (Friday) 02:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bells and Whistles...

madjack
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,027 posts
Gallery: 198 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 27, 2012 20:21 |  #31

Hogloff wrote in post #14341335 (external link)
You are talking about pricing here, not bells and whistles. Canon 1-series cameras have exactly what you are looking for, great AF and weather sealing. You want these features in a lower priced camera...so it's just a matter of pricing. Nothing at all to do with bells and whistles. It has everything to do with Canon's product separation based on feature sets and prices.

Nikon produced the d700 which contained great AF and weather sealing in your price range so it could be done. Canon decided to save those features for their high end pro cameras.

You want them features, you got to pay the big bucks. But, it has nothing to do with adding video into the 5d2. It has everything to artificially separate the professional cameras from the rest.

From the beginning I said I preferred better AF over video, and all I got from most were you have to pay the money like AF was some great expense to put into a camera but video wasn't. I didn't buy it. But I do buy what you said in bold.

Canon 5D Mk IV | Canon 5D Mk II | Canon 7D | Canon 30D
Canon EF 16-35L IS | Canon EF 24-105L IS | Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 IS II | Canon EF 100-400L IS II | Canon EF 50mm-f/1.8
Canon EF-S 17-85 IS | Canon EF-S 18-55 | Canon EF 70-300 IS | RRS TVC 34L Tripod | RRS BH-55 Ballhead

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,157 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 27, 2012 20:35 |  #32

madjack wrote in post #14341413 (external link)
From the beginning I said I preferred better AF over video, and all I got from most were you have to pay the money like AF was some great expense to put into a camera but video wasn't. I didn't buy it. But I do buy what you said in bold.

So what do you shoot that the 30D and 5D2 AF doesn't work for you as is? Here is an idea, the 1D3 is at the same price point as your 5D2, and matches it IQ-wise, or at least very closely. And it doesn't have video. It is the perfect camera for what you are asking for.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

lungdoc
Goldmember
2,101 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 27, 2012 20:38 |  #33

The AF decisions and the presence or absence of video are not related, as several others have stated. What's ironic about the DSLR video (at least as Canon has implemented it) is that it's virtually free to add to a camera yet gives very professional results but only with a significant amount of add-on gear to stabilize the camera and allow for follow focus etc. So I have a 7D that could shoot pro-level video, but without a fair investment in gear (and of course technique and skills) I can't make much use of it as a casual amateur who is mainly interested in stills. Some AF for video would help a lot for casual users of video.

Mark
My Smugmug (external link) Eos 7D, Canon G1X II, Canon 15-85 IS, Canon 17-85 IS, Sigma 100-300 EX IF HSM, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 50-150 2.8, Sigma 1.4 EX DG , Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22, Canon 430EX,

madjack
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,027 posts
Gallery: 198 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 27, 2012 21:02 |  #34

lungdoc wrote in post #14341485 (external link)
The AF decisions and the presence or absence of video are not related, as several others have stated. What's ironic about the DSLR video (at least as Canon has implemented it) is that it's virtually free to add to a camera yet gives very professional results but only with a significant amount of add-on gear to stabilize the camera and allow for follow focus etc. So I have a 7D that could shoot pro-level video, but without a fair investment in gear (and of course technique and skills) I can't make much use of it as a casual amateur who is mainly interested in stills. Some AF for video would help a lot for casual users of video.

If what you say about adding video is virtually free then I can understand Canons decision and find your argument is very valid.

Anyway, I really do appreciate everyones very spirited input on the subject.
Thank you all!
I'm Out.

Canon 5D Mk IV | Canon 5D Mk II | Canon 7D | Canon 30D
Canon EF 16-35L IS | Canon EF 24-105L IS | Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 IS II | Canon EF 100-400L IS II | Canon EF 50mm-f/1.8
Canon EF-S 17-85 IS | Canon EF-S 18-55 | Canon EF 70-300 IS | RRS TVC 34L Tripod | RRS BH-55 Ballhead

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 27, 2012 21:56 |  #35

madjack wrote in post #14340553 (external link)
I noticed in your sig line you have a couple of 5d II's. Do you feel that model is considered cheap enough to not merit good AF? To me $2200.00 is pretty good money and better AF is not to much to ask at that price point especially when the 7d has better AF and is less expensive.
I do see your argument that the inclusion of video is not added at the expense of other options. I always assumed putting video in a camera was not a cheap thing to do. My bad.

i don't think it's a matter of merit, it was a purely utilitarian decision on my part. i would have loved great AF and it's the driving force behind my decision to most likely upgrade to 5D3's, but the high ISO performance and resolution are what lead me to buy my 5D2's. at the time, it was worth it to me because i don't like the bulkiness of the 1-series integrated grips, and i had been making photos that i was really happy with on my original 5D's. since there was no AF upgrade, i begrudgingly settled on that point, but the other merits outweighed the limitations for me. your mileage may vary, of course.

madjack wrote in post #14341413 (external link)

i would agree that it's most likely 90% marketing that prevents lower end models from adopting world-class AF capabilities, but you'll have to admit that it's a much more significant undertaking design and cost wise than video options. with live view, video recording is mostly a function of firmware and possibly a encoding chip. autofocus on the other hand requires the inclusion of the AF chip, coordination with the small pentamirrors instead of the pentaprisms found in more expensive models, and the current generation of top-grade AF has it's own processing chip from what i recall. it takes more space in the camera and money to put that in, and financially, it doesn't make sense for canon to do so when it'll force people to buy their higher-end models.

as i said earlier though, you have what you want now from the current lineup. the 7D, 5D3, 1DX, 1DC all have great AF and good weather resistance. at this point, the biggest gripe i have is their price tag, and it's something that despite my misgivings is still reasonable. the market seems to agree.

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,786 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bells and Whistles...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.