Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
Thread started 28 Apr 2012 (Saturday) 08:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

drag races nationals. will it damage camera?

jkru617
220 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 28, 2012 08:34 |  #1

Im about to go to the spring nationals. I know its loud and everything vibrates like crazy, will my camera be ok? 5d2

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 28, 2012 09:18 |  #2

should be fine

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 28, 2012 09:26 as a reply to  @ rick_reno's post |  #3

Your camera will be fine, the vibration has never hurt mine despite me feeling it through my body and loads of car alarms going off in the car park behind the spectator banking on the top fuel races.

Just don't do what my friend did, and think that it would be really cool to get a shot from directly behind a pair of jet cars. He didn't think about the amount of crap that would sandblast his gear, or that the heat was possibly more than recommended (it reshaped his lens hood when it started to melt) not to mention all the noxious fumes that fill the shed behind the cars. There is a good reason that area usually empties pretty quickly when the jet cars come out on the track. :lol::lol:

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,084 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 28, 2012 10:07 |  #4

only if you DROP the camera from pure shock and awe when the noise hits! Here's a shot that almost knocked the camera from my hands when the car went from zero to full-on in a split second:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i14.photobucket​.com …nyder160/DPP_12​297TIF.jpg (external link)

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

Aardvark101
738 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 28, 2012 11:40 |  #5

Just try and keep on target as the exhaust pulses batter your head on a pass :)

Paul
"Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so"
5D Classic and some glass

rmwphoto.ca
56 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 28, 2012 11:44 |  #6

Done it bunch of times ,only thing be carefull if you change lenses rubber in the air from burnouts.
Had a little piece get inside once.

IMAGE: http://rmwphoto.smugmug.com/2010-Racing-8/Toronto-Motorsports-Park/NitroJet-Cars-July-2-4/IMG1629/926536421_AyvtC-M.jpg

Canon 50D,Canon XSI
Canon 70-200 F2.8 non IS
Canon 17-40,
Canon 430 exII SPEEDLITE
www.rmwphoto.ca (external link)

poldodog
520 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 28, 2012 11:45 as a reply to  @ snyderman's post |  #7

i recommend you wear some ear defenders & put the camera strap around your neck coz the noise of the top fuel cars has to be experienced to be believed, the noise goes straight through your body and if your not prepared the shock may cause you to drop the 5d2 . so brace yourself as that is the only thing likely to damage your camera.

Canon 5d . canon 1dmk11. 24-105 L is ,100-400 L is ,50 mm 1,4 sigma 12- 24 dg .... learning on th job :p

eastwoodsn352
51 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 28, 2012 11:49 |  #8

Great advise. I'm going to shoot some Pro Modified cars this afternoon.

Canon 7D: 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, 70-200mm f/4L USM, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 430EX II, Lensbaby Muse w/ double glass.
www.stillbandits.com (external link)

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 28, 2012 12:00 |  #9

poldodog wrote in post #14343773 (external link)
i recommend you wear some ear defenders & put the camera strap around your neck coz the noise of the top fuel cars has to be experienced to be believed, the noise goes straight through your body and if your not prepared the shock may cause you to drop the 5d2 . so brace yourself as that is the only thing likely to damage your camera.

He is prolly at the races but I agree with what you said. I was there yesterday. All went well until the first fuel funny cars made the first pass of qualifying. The crowd went wild!

...still going through 1700 pics! :-)
Lots of wheel standing stockers and super stockers.

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

madjack
Goldmember
2,027 posts
Gallery: 198 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 28, 2012 12:07 as a reply to  @ MT Stringer's post |  #10

I can smell the fuel burning now....

Canon 5D Mk IV | Canon 5D Mk II | Canon 7D | Canon 30D
Canon EF 16-35L IS | Canon EF 24-105L IS | Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 IS II | Canon EF 100-400L IS II | Canon EF 50mm-f/1.8
Canon EF-S 17-85 IS | Canon EF-S 18-55 | Canon EF 70-300 IS | RRS TVC 34L Tripod | RRS BH-55 Ballhead

poldodog
520 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 28, 2012 12:24 |  #11

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7197/7118679305_3eeae98c3a_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/79530224@N08/7​118679305/  (external link)
B0000838 (external link) by poldodog (external link), on Flickr

sandpiper wrote in post #14343297 (external link)
Your camera will be fine, the vibration has never hurt mine despite me feeling it through my body and loads of car alarms going off in the car park behind the spectator banking on the top fuel races.

Just don't do what my friend did, and think that it would be really cool to get a shot from directly behind a pair of jet cars. He didn't think about the amount of crap that would sandblast his gear, or that the heat was possibly more than recommended (it reshaped his lens hood when it started to melt) not to mention all the noxious fumes that fill the shed behind the cars. There is a good reason that area usually empties pretty quickly when the jet cars come out on the track. :lol::lol:

lol dont think the shed is there at santa pod anymore but i know what you mean soon emptied out but the other thing to consider is if your lucky enough to get into the area where the burnouts are done watch out for the hot rubber as it will ruin your day & your camera

Canon 5d . canon 1dmk11. 24-105 L is ,100-400 L is ,50 mm 1,4 sigma 12- 24 dg .... learning on th job :p

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 28, 2012 14:55 |  #12

poldodog wrote in post #14343922 (external link)
[IMG]

lol dont think the shed is there at santa pod anymore but i know what you mean soon emptied out but the other thing to consider is if your lucky enough to get into the area where the burnouts are done watch out for the hot rubber as it will ruin your day & your camera

No, it's not, it went quite some time ago. The "melting camera" incident with my mate was back in the days when Slammin' Sammy Miller was still with us.

Cozmocha
728 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 29, 2012 10:14 |  #13

I would only worry if you were using it as a remote...

http://markjrebilas.co​m/blog/?p=10225 (external link)
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=q7SxrVMNR_Y (external link)

-Kurt
www.kurtriversphoto.co​m (external link) || http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/kurtrivers (external link)

Jimil
427 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 01, 2012 16:44 |  #14

Like other have mentioned already, be careful if you decide to change lens as the little bits of rubber will be falling like snow.

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined May 2012

May 17, 2012 12:47 |  #15

Having been to the races before insurance required fences to be 50'+ from the racing surface, I can honestly say that you will get covered in rubber AND that stuff doesn't just brush off. It will smear and stick. So wear some clothing you don't need to wear anywhere nice, and make sure you have appropriate cleaning supplies.

sponsored links

3,185 views & 0 likes for this thread
drag races nationals. will it damage camera?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.