Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 29 Apr 2012 (Sunday) 22:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any ETTR PP tricks?

Dustin ­ Mustangs
310 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 29, 2012 22:25 |  #1

Aside from the obvious posibility of dialing down exposure, what else do you like to do to your ETTR images? I've had some extreme cases where the highlights get muddy when exposure is pulled back, esp if recovery is aggressive too. Are there any PP tricks to dealing with this? Or do I just need to expose to the (not quite so) right??

60D | 15-85 3.5-5.6 IS | 70-200 4L | 50 1.8 | 100 2.8 macro | 1.4x II | 580EX | 430EX II

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 30, 2012 00:16 |  #2

Well, the "trick" with ETTR is you have to shoot Raw and learn to not "blow" important highlights.

This can be tricky, because we have to get an understanding in how to interpret your camera histogram as well as the highlight "blinkies". If you go right up to the "real" edge you can pull those highlights back, and a good Raw processor makes that work well. But if you are blown, then yeah, you can end up with a lot of "grey matter" if you pull the exposure way back.

Here's a "project" I did a while back where I did some testing:

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=12699441#po​st12699441

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,482 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 30, 2012 02:05 |  #3

Adobe has addressed this problem in LR4/ACR7. In LR2 recovered highlights were indeed grey because only detail was reconstructed (at the same time that Bibble and Raw Therapee were attempting color recovery, but not infrequently producing false colors, incidentally). LR3 was better with highlight color, but because recovery was done by flattening the tone curve at the top, contrast, details and texture were lost. LR4, with much better masking (calculated in Lab space, BTW), has replaced Recovery with Highlights which pulls the curve down and thus increases contrast and enhances detail.

Elie / אלי

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 30, 2012 05:53 as a reply to  @ tzalman's post |  #4

"Expose To The Right" technique of having the camera settings all pulled back to Neutral and negative Contrast and Saturation, then upping the camera exposure bit by bit until highlight "blinkies" just begin to show, then notching it a bit down until they disappear.

I pulled this from Tony's link...ya gotta remember that the camera's LCD image is based on a jpeg rendition of the image and is subject to "in camera settings" therefor, dialing down those settings, as Tony suggested, will give you something that more closely resemble what you will see in LR/ACR.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

Dustin ­ Mustangs
THREAD ­ STARTER
310 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 30, 2012 07:30 |  #5

I have my camera set to blink the blown out areas so that really isn't an issue for me. And I have found that the camera and lightroom have pretty consistent histograms and areas of blown pixels. But some images, even with no important highlights blown, seem to look unnatural once the exposure is pulled back in post. Some to the point where, imo, I wish I hadn't ettr'd.

There is so much info around concerning the camera side of ettr but not much of anything about the post side other than 'pull your exposure back'. I guess maybe it is time to upgrade to LR4.

60D | 15-85 3.5-5.6 IS | 70-200 4L | 50 1.8 | 100 2.8 macro | 1.4x II | 580EX | 430EX II

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 30, 2012 07:37 |  #6

Dustin Mustangs wrote in post #14350842 (external link)
Aside from the obvious posibility of dialing down exposure, what else do you like to do to your ETTR images? I've had some extreme cases where the highlights get muddy when exposure is pulled back, esp if recovery is aggressive too. Are there any PP tricks to dealing with this? Or do I just need to expose to the (not quite so) right??

Sounds as though you have indeed pulled the histogram too far right. Always leave a slight gap and avoid the graph "heaping up" at that end.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,910 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Apr 30, 2012 10:02 |  #7

tonylong wrote in post #14351291 (external link)
Well, the "trick" with ETTR is you have to shoot Raw and learn to not "blow" important highlights....

This is a key concept. Not every highlight is important enough to keep detail in. So your comment, "Or do I just need to expose to the (not quite so) right??" is right on target. Sometime I check the blinkies & take a 2nd exposure, but I always start with this which has taken into account which highlights I think are important: Need an exposure crutch?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,929 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 30, 2012 10:26 |  #8

You may want to set the in-camera JPEG picture style to Neural, with Contrast set to -4. This will help get a more reliable histogram because the in-camera processing from which the histogram is generated will not arbitrarily push the extremes outward to increase contrast.

If you REALLY want to go the extra mile, google UniWB (Uni white balance) - this technique is for raw shooting only, but attempts to equalize the R, G and B channels through crafty manipulation of the white balance multipliers, in camera. With this technique, the color channel multipliers that are typically applied for white balance do not get applied (R=G=B=1) eliminating the clipping potentially caused by WB channel multiplication and giving you a more accurate per channel in-camera histogram. These images require white balancing in raw conversion because the image comes out green.

kirk

Kirk
---

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 30, 2012 14:48 |  #9

With LR 4 the black and white sliders are for setting the white point and black point.
They should be used to extend the tonal range of a ETTR image rather than just pulling exposure down.
Then use the highlight and shadow sliders for fine tuning the mid-tones. And also remember that the default tone curve is linear in LR4 so there is a mid and strong contrast option as well.

That's lots of control.
I tend to start with the white and black point sliders. Then use Exposure slider along with highlight and shadows for further control. And if the scene calls for it steepen the tone curve with mid or strong options.

Here is a screen capture of an image in LR4 showing the adjustments with before and after images. The sunlit side of the AON building was gone before the adjustments.

This was the +1 bracket of the shot. I tend to do two stop bracket using the camera's Exposure bracketing feature when I'm shooting city scenes, save me having to fiddle around on the street and gives me lots of options in Lightroom and Photoshop.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,482 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 30, 2012 16:02 |  #10

The OP didn't say, but I had the impression that he is using LR3. Actually, that's a serious omission, considering how different they are.

Elie / אלי

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 30, 2012 17:24 |  #11

Well, the mountain project I linked to was done with LR3!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Dustin ­ Mustangs
THREAD ­ STARTER
310 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 30, 2012 22:59 |  #12

I'm using lr3 now but it's just a matter of time before I upgrade to 4.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

May 01, 2012 13:32 |  #13

The 2012 process version is so much more powerful. It is especially useful when wanting to get do more detailed processing to an image relative to tonal curve.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 01, 2012 13:40 |  #14

Does anyone use UniWB consistently? Or is it too much hassle?

Joel

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

May 01, 2012 14:31 as a reply to  @ joeblack2022's post |  #15

The only time I insert any type of WB card into a shot is when I want to get skin tones spot-on, otherwise it's more of a personal preference decision.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

sponsored links

3,172 views & 0 likes for this thread
Any ETTR PP tricks?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.