Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Dec 2005 (Sunday) 03:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

350D/Rebel XT Eyepiece Dioptric Adjustment

Glyno
157 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 04, 2005 03:24 |  #1

I've been adjusting the Diotric Adjustment for the viewfinder on my 350D and am struggling to get the focus points absolutely sharp.

According to the manual (page 42): Turn the knob left or right until the AF points in the viewfinder look sharp.
And... If the camera's dioptric adjustment still cannot provide a sharp viewfinder image, using Dioptric Adjustment Lens E (10 types, optional) is recommended.

Now, whilst I don't claim to have 100% perfect eyesight I do think my eyesight is better than average and would expect to get the focus points sharp in the viewfinder.
I'd appreciate any other users' feedback, many thanks,
Glyn.

my flickr (external link)

sponsored links
R ­ Hardman
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 04, 2005 11:13 |  #2

I got mine to be sharp just a tad of full left.

"Whatever you can do to avoid Photoshop is worth it"
EOS 7D, EOS 350D, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 USM (Kit)
Rick's Digital Desert (external link)

Mitcon
Goldmember
3,670 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 04, 2005 13:31 |  #3

I adjust mine with a lens cap on, try adjusting it until the readout (green numbers and such) in the viewfinder is sharp.

Cheers Wayne :D
EOS 30D+350Dx2+BG-E2+BG-E3+18-55MkII+EF 70-300IS/USM+EF 75-300IIusm+Sigma 50-500DG+Tamron SP90 f2.8Di+Sigma 17-70+Kenco MC7 2x+580EX+430EX

POTN Aussie club

Feel free to visit my image galleries
www.mitconphotographic​s.com (external link)

Glyno
THREAD ­ STARTER
157 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 04, 2005 14:22 |  #4

Thanks guys, I've tried using the method suggested and the correct setting seems to be at the extreme left - maybe my eyesight isn't as good as I thought!

my flickr (external link)

visionboy
22 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 04, 2005 22:12 as a reply to  @ Glyno's post |  #5

Glyno wrote:
Thanks guys, I've tried using the method suggested and the correct setting seems to be at the extreme left - maybe my eyesight isn't as good as I thought!

If its best at the extreme left, then most likely you're an undercorrected myope. That means you're nearsightedness, and your current glasses or contact lens is not strong enough to allow you to see 20/20. If you're not wearing any glasses or contacts, then you should consider seeing and eye doctor. :)

OR it's possible that your camera's dioptric control is not calibrated.

350d
tamron 28-75 f2.8
18-55 kit
50 f1.8

Bracketracer
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 11, 2005 14:12 as a reply to  @ visionboy's post |  #6

Lense cap on,, use the green readout to set up

Great tip,,, found this in my search,, thankyou

StevenRaith
575 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 11, 2005 15:10 |  #7

Hmm. I am -3 in my left eye for my spectacle prescription, so sharp viewing minus glasses is not possible [which is a PITA].

Any idea how to check what adjustment I would need? Does anyone know if there is somewhere I could get this looked at? Reference charts with spectacle prescription/relevant adjuster type perchance?

Mitcon
Goldmember
3,670 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 11, 2005 21:04 |  #8

Very welcome Bracketracer, what we're here for and certainly what the search feature is for also.

The viewfinder on the 350D with it's standard diopter is adjustable between -3.0 to +1.0 diopter, you may be right near the verge so maybe buying then next level diopter adjustment lens should be able to solve your problem for you. theres 10 different lenses avail to you I think from memory.

EOS 30D+350Dx2+BG-E2+BG-E3+18-55MkII+EF 70-300IS/USM+EF 75-300IIusm+Sigma 50-500DG+Tamron SP90 f2.8Di+Sigma 17-70+Kenco MC7 2x+580EX+430EX

POTN Aussie club

visionboy
22 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 12, 2005 00:48 as a reply to  @ StevenRaith's post |  #9

StevenRaith wrote:
Hmm. I am -3 in my left eye for my spectacle prescription, so sharp viewing minus glasses is not possible [which is a PITA].

Any idea how to check what adjustment I would need? Does anyone know if there is somewhere I could get this looked at? Reference charts with spectacle prescription/relevant adjuster type perchance?

with your glasses on you should have the setting to '0'
without glasses u should have set to -3

or
you can just turn the dial to where images are sharpest

350d
tamron 28-75 f2.8
18-55 kit
50 f1.8

StevenRaith
575 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 12, 2005 02:04 |  #10

Oh, right, I didnt ralise it was that simple....!

Seeing as I can't get it with the standard viewfinder, I'm guessing that getting an eye test and finding out what my prescription has changed to would be an idea before getting the adjuster then? :)

I can shoot with the glasses on, it's just a bit annoying....

Mitcon
Goldmember
3,670 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 12, 2005 03:47 |  #11

Sure you can shoot with glasses on, I do most the time.

POTN Aussie club

sponsored links

2,853 views & 0 likes for this thread
350D/Rebel XT Eyepiece Dioptric Adjustment
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.