Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 May 2012 (Tuesday) 06:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pro says I won't see any difference in FF to crop

snapshot2011
570 posts
Joined May 2011

May 01, 2012 06:12 |  #1

Hi

Looking at purchasing my full frame dslr tomorrow. Have a 5dmk2 on hold to pickup in the morning. Was chatting with a local photographer and he says to me not to bother buying it as I won't notice any difference nor increase in quality compared to my existing 60D.

I told him of the significant differences and he said to just buy another crop sensor camera as a second body.

Is he just disarming the potential competition (me) by saying this or otherwise?

Now he has created a level of doubt.

Technically I am his competition here in the city and so I wonder if he is just saying it on purpose out of spite?

sponsored links
bespoke
709 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 01, 2012 06:15 |  #2

difference? yes. significant? no.

i doubt your clients will see the difference.

Peterborough Photographer (external link) | Facebook (external link)
5D3 & 5D2s | 24 TS-E II, 24-70 II, 85L II, 100L, 70-200L II, 35 & 85 Zeiss ZE, Samyang 14, Sigma 50
Hasselblads + Leaf Aptus MFDB, Fuji X100, Epson 3880/9890

snapshot2011
THREAD ­ STARTER
570 posts
Joined May 2011

May 01, 2012 06:19 |  #3

In that case why bother with 5dmk2 ff camera?

I am under the impression I am getting a much better quality image as opposed to crop sensor?

I should be asking then, judging from your reply,

Give me reasons why I should go with a full frame camera. Why did you? Why didn't you just use a crop if there won't be a noticeable difference?

snapshot2011
THREAD ­ STARTER
570 posts
Joined May 2011

May 01, 2012 06:21 |  #4

I am under the idea that I want better image quality as opposed to my crop

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

May 01, 2012 06:31 |  #5

Great Light and Interesting subjects make superior images...

Nearly anything shot at Noon in direct sun will look like dreck regardless of the camera used.

FF allows for two inherent differences (all things being equal)
- Wider field of view
- Shallower depth of field

FF does not instantly create magical images. The six inches behind the viewfinder does that.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

ArcticShooter
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 01, 2012 06:33 |  #6

What is your primary photo objects?

Helge
Summer is great :)

My gearMy (external link)Flickr  (external link) (external link)G+ (external link)

M.Haidar
25 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 01, 2012 06:33 |  #7

first of all crop sensors are great for zoom photography like sports and wild life photography why because for example the T3i have x1.6 sensor it means if you use a lens lets say a 70-200mm and you put it on its maximum zoom ( 200mm ) it will delivers to you 320mm ( 200mm X 1.6 =320mm )

for full frames cameras are better in landscape photography because if you use a wide angle lens it will gives you a wide angle like the 17-40mm the 17mm will gives you exactly 17mm on FF camera but if you put it on a crop camera and you put the lens on 17mm it will gives you 27.2mm and that's is not good for landscape photography, so depends on your needs really you can choose what to get.

i got the 5D MK II and T3i the %d MK II gives you better images than the T3i

Gear:5D2 Gripped / T3i / 50mm f1.8 / 100mm f2.8 macro /24-105L / 17-40 L/85mm f1.8/ 580EXII / Macro Ring Lite/ 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM
MR-14EX

My flickr:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mhaidar/ (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

May 01, 2012 06:43 |  #8

M.Haidar wrote in post #14358943 (external link)
for full frames cameras are better in landscape photography because if you use a wide angle lens it will gives you a wide angle like the 17-40mm the 17mm will gives you exactly 17mm on FF camera but if you put it on a crop camera and you put the lens on 17mm it will gives you 27.2mm and that's is not good for landscape photography

Or you could stick a 10mm lens on your crop camera. The resulting 16mm equivalent would, using this argument, make it better than the FF for landscapes.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

snapshot2011
THREAD ­ STARTER
570 posts
Joined May 2011

May 01, 2012 06:49 |  #9

I would like a second camera as a backup body when on jobs.

I thought about getting another 60D but thought of going ff as main body and keeping crop as backup.

I am involved in event photography and commercial head shots, awards nights etc. The wildlife component of my work is purely personal but event work is my main objective.

I just have a great chance of getting a second body and want ot make it a right decision.

Old ­ Baldy
718 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 01, 2012 07:04 as a reply to  @ snapshot2011's post |  #10

You will love the 5D2 for your work, and will notice the difference.

OB
Gear list
Flickr Gallery (external link)

macca45
40 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 01, 2012 07:08 |  #11

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #14358936 (external link)

Nearly anything shot at Noon in direct sun will look like dreck regardless of the camera used.

- Wider field of view

FF does not instantly create magical images. The six inches behind the viewfinder does that.

I always enjoy seeing what you have to say.

Keep it up, I had a quick look at your website, great work.

snapshot2011
THREAD ­ STARTER
570 posts
Joined May 2011

May 01, 2012 07:10 |  #12

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #14358936 (external link)

- Wider field of view

So Jay your saying there is no apparent increase in image quality?

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002

May 01, 2012 07:11 |  #13

M.Haidar wrote in post #14358943 (external link)
first of all crop sensors are great for zoom photography like sports and wild life photography why because for example the T3i have x1.6 sensor it means if you use a lens lets say a 70-200mm and you put it on its maximum zoom ( 200mm ) it will delivers to you 320mm ( 200mm X 1.6 =320mm )

for full frames cameras are better in landscape photography because if you use a wide angle lens it will gives you a wide angle like the 17-40mm the 17mm will gives you exactly 17mm on FF camera but if you put it on a crop camera and you put the lens on 17mm it will gives you 27.2mm and that's is not good for landscape photography, so depends on your needs really you can choose what to get.

For the newbies reading this thread:

Forget all of the above quote about "crop factor" issues. The "facts" are total fiction.

The focal length of a lens does not change at all when you put it on different format cameras. Only the field (angle) of view changes. A 70-200mm lens will always be a 70-200, regardless of the camera it is screwed onto.

Also forget the concept that the only focal length range suitable for "landscape" photography is ultra-wide-angle. Most of the experienced photographers I know use all the lenses in their bag for "landscape" photography (including the longest focal lengths), depending on what they are trying to produce with the scene in front of them.

For the OP: In my opinion, unless your photography style involves using very short depth of field, a "full-frame" format camera probably won't be different enough to make any noticeable difference in your images.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Christina
633 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 01, 2012 07:13 as a reply to  @ Old Baldy's post |  #14

This reminds me of what Scott Bourne always says... 99% of lenses are better than 99% of photographers.

In skilled hands, both crop cameras and FF cameras will produce beautiful images that will make your clients (and your mother) very happy. Will you get better quality images with a FF camera? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on your definition of quality and your ability to produce it.

For me, the main advantage of FF is getting the true focal lengths out of your lenses. Being able to shoot wide. If that doesn't matter to you, or if you only shoot portraits, then I don't think it matters too much.

All that said, I absolutely prefer my 5D2 to my 7D in every way. The only time I'd choose the 7D over the 5D2 is if I needed extra focal length.

Christina - Pittsburgh Wedding Photographer (external link)
Syncopated Pictures (external link)
http://christinamontem​urrophotography.com/bl​og/ (external link)

Dan-o
Goldmember
3,539 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 01, 2012 07:17 |  #15

I've been using nothing but 1 series bodies and picked up a 5DMIII a few weeks ago. The difference is sutle at best. If you are hoping for some huge improvement like so many, full frame vs crop, threads you will be sorely disappointed.

Danny.
DMunsonPhoto (external link)
Cycling Illustrated (external link)
FaceBook Page (external link)

sponsored links

32,342 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pro says I won't see any difference in FF to crop
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.