Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
Thread started 01 May 2012 (Tuesday) 15:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

before & after 422

Iancentric
714 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2011

May 01, 2012 15:15 |  #1

The game will last 4 Days and whoever can produce the best edited image (as judged by me) will be picked and it'll be their turn to post their unedited picture for all of us to take a crack at.

The participants must have their "Image Editing OK" turned on and they must provide at least a simple breakdown of how they edited the image, some entrants are a little vague on this point, please give us all details so we can learn and share tips. For instance if you use the unsharp mask tool or Smart Sharpen, provide us with the adjustments you used so others can try them out.

You can post multiple images, but the first image you post will be the one that is judged - all other images will be considered for knowledge and tip use only.

Also, please keep all comments, be they positive or negative, to yourself until after the game has ended.

If you happen to be the winner of the game please start the next one with the title of the game and the following number. For example…the next game should read "Before & After #423."

Game ends Sunday May 6 at 9am MST

I am not sure what happened with this one, I may have missed focus a bit or the model may have moved a tiny bit, if you zoom to 100% you can see she is a little fuzzy.

raw file http://dl.dropbox.com/​u/75258649/IMG_5643.CR​2 (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7129/7133095431_b6ef659bea_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/08photog/713309​5431/  (external link)
IMG_5643 (external link) by 08photog (external link), on Flickr

Ian
Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)
instagram (external link)

sponsored links
ViciousCircle
284 posts
Joined May 2008

May 02, 2012 13:46 |  #2

Going to try and remember all that I did to this. Since it was a bit out of focus, and it looked kinda grungy, I just added to that.

-In ACR, tweaked the clarity, fill light, exposure, and blacks.
-cropped quite a bit (reminded me more of a movie poster or album cover this way)
-darkend the edges a bit.
-added several texture layers and used overlay on them. Then layer mask to only show where I wanted them. One mask, I used vivid light and a layer mask as well.
-added a difference clouds rendered layer in multiply mode, then a layer mask to only have that affect the bottom right and left corners and edges.
-A black and white adjustment layer next with opacity set to around 40 percent or so.
-made a selection of the person, then filled with black and free transformed to be larger, then gaussian blurred it to make a shadow behind the person. Used a layer mask so the shadow actually appeared to be behind (and slightly camera left) of the person.

I think that was everything. I played around with several layers and effects, so I could have missed something.

IMAGE: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-w4wglzzJMbQ/T6F_aXtIqxI/AAAAAAAACoY/dHyi0Mrxf6U/s650/BA422.jpg

tmoore323
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 04, 2012 07:42 as a reply to  @ ViciousCircle's post |  #3

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1259.photobuck​et.com …643-as-Smart-Object-1.png (external link)

Changed white balance in ACR, isolated woman and made several copies of her on different layers, cropped and added a curves layer and fiddled with it to get a more grungy look.

Iancentric
THREAD ­ STARTER
714 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2011

May 05, 2012 09:11 |  #4

Two awesome images, well done .
Viciouscircle: i love this edit, I totally see the album cover
tmoore : i love this one too. i'd like to suggest to edit out that patch of red by the models left arm.

the winner is......

tmoore323, because, it totally took me by surprise, and my wife actually said "wow" when she saw it. She has never said that for one of my edits.:lol:

Ian
Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)
instagram (external link)

ViciousCircle
284 posts
Joined May 2008

May 05, 2012 09:39 |  #5

Congratz Tmoore.

tmoore323
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 05, 2012 10:10 |  #6

Thanks, new one is up:

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=14383363#po​st14383363

sponsored links

1,497 views & 0 likes for this thread
before & after 422
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.