Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 May 2012 (Wednesday) 06:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Will my 7d do this

40 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 02, 2012 06:46 |  #1

I want to make a preset like this 1/500,f16,autoISO,+1EV
Can anyone tell me if this is possible?

sponsored links
andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 02, 2012 07:09 |  #2

Turn the mode selection dial to M
Turn top dial to (1/)500
Turn back (thumb) dial to (f/)16

Press Iso button at the top of the camera
Turn top dial all the way until it says A
turn back dial to the right for the +1EV over exposure.

This is all done by memory, I hope I have it all right.

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

kendon
839 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 02, 2012 07:15 |  #3

no ev correction in M...

7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 70-200/4 IS, NiftyFifty, 580EXII, Σ 30 EX DC, Walimex 8mm Fisheye, MD Rokkor 50/1.4, BendyCam (external link), Gallery (external link)

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 02, 2012 07:34 |  #4

You're right, my bad.
It can only be done with <P> <Tv> or <Av>

Question to the OP: What is it that you want to accomplish?

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

arkphotos
455 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 02, 2012 08:06 |  #5

You have three 'user modes' to store whatever camera settings you like.
One of my favorite features of the 7D.

Set up the camera however you like, go into your menu -> User Settings & store.
The dial on the top left can be used to select the preset you just stored.

1.6 crop & some lenses

THREAD ­ STARTER
40 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 02, 2012 08:19 as a reply to  @ arkphotos's post |  #6

I think this would be the brainless way to take pictures of birds. I have the 100/400 that I use at 400. I need the f16 to get a decent DOF and the 1/500 to stop all shake[Bird or man]. That leaves ISO as the only available variable. The +1 is to lighten up the bird. I go +2 for birds in flight. I think what I want is not possible but I was wondering if anyone with way more experience than me might have a solution.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002

May 02, 2012 08:22 |  #7

187 wrote in post #14365740 (external link)
I think this would be the brainless way to take pictures of birds. I have the 100/400 that I use at 400. I need the f16 to get a decent DOF and the 1/500 to stop all shake[Bird or man]. That leaves ISO as the only available variable. The +1 is to lighten up the bird. I go +2 for birds in flight. I think what I want is not possible but I was wondering if anyone with way more experience than me might have a solution.

Use MANUAL mode the way "manual" is supposed to be. Simply aim the camera at something in the same light as the intended subject that is mid-toned and adjust the ISO setting until you see the meter at mid-point. As long as the light source which is illuminating the subject doesn't change, you can shoot for quite a while with the same setting.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

fstopg
109 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 02, 2012 08:27 as a reply to  @ SkipD's post |  #8

arkphotos has it. set it how you want it then save that to any of the 3 custom dial settings you want.

Garrett
The equipment list is getting longer :D
www.bgimage.zenfolio.c​om/ (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002

May 02, 2012 08:37 |  #9

fstopg wrote in post #14365763 (external link)
arkphotos has it. set it how you want it then save that to any of the 3 custom dial settings you want.

Unfortunately, that will NOT work.

When the 7D exposure dial is set to "M" you do have the option of using Auto ISO, of course. However, with the dial at "M" and ISO set to Auto, there is no access to the Exposure Compensation (EC) setting. You can set "Auto Exposure Bracketing" (AEB)values but not EC.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Soulman
68 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 02, 2012 08:45 |  #10

The only way I think it can be done is without auto ISO, set the camera to M, set shutter and aperture value and the use ISO to adjust exposure to +1 on the metering scale in the viewfinder, maybe set ISO to a FN button and front dial for easy access?

Canon 7D, 15-85, 70-200f4L

cfcRebel
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 02, 2012 08:56 |  #11

187 wrote in post #14365740 (external link)

I shoot mostly birds. I can safely say, 99% of the time you don't really need such small aperture f16 to get the Depth of Field that covers the entire subject (the bird) in focus, unless you can get REALLY close to the bird, i.e. within 5 ~ 7ft. This is because, setting your aperture to f16, you are doing it at the expense of shutter speed and also of ISO. The former is critical for bird in action, the latter is important for noise-free images.

There is no one fixed formula for perched bird, and another formula for bird inflight, because the lighting condition, background, and subject's color, are different. The preset is good as a starting point, but quickly you will find you need to adjust it from there, to get the best result SOOC. In my experience, a good starting point for birds is:
1. Use Av mode, which allows you to control the aperture, the camera picks the shutter speed (or Tv mode. When you understand Exposure and metering, then perhaps can try M mode)
2. Aperture set to f8
3. ISO 400 (if your camera body can handle noise effectively, start at ISO 800)
4. Exposure Compensation = 0 or -0.33 for perched bird. EC = +0.67 or +1 for bird inflight or any backlit situation

These are just starting points. You likely need to adjust it from there as you start shooting. Get familiar with the dials, wheels, and buttons so that you can change settings on the fly as needed. Happy shooting. :)

Fee

Canon | SIGMA | TAMRON | Kenko | Amvona

fstopg
109 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 02, 2012 08:56 as a reply to  @ Soulman's post |  #12

missed that one. didn't think about the Ev. That will teach me.

Garrett
The equipment list is getting longer :D
www.bgimage.zenfolio.c​om/ (external link)

THREAD ­ STARTER
40 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 02, 2012 14:25 as a reply to  @ fstopg's post |  #13

Thanks to all. The consensus is no and that is what I expected. I'm already using presets and bracketed in manual and some times AV and sometimes TV. I also reprogramed various buttons and I know how to use appropriate focus modes. But when that warbler pops out sometimes you get one burst and never see it again and with the setup I want but can't have I would a stand a pretty good chance of getting a decent, not great pic. Most of the suggestions I have used at one time or another. Thanks again.

h14nha
Goldmember
2,015 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Nov 2008

May 03, 2012 13:47 |  #14

Stay well away from F16 for bird photography. It will result in a slower shutter speed which is the mortal enemy of birders..........I use F7.1 on my 100-400 normally, ISO 800 in Aperture mode. If you need more light then go ISO 1600 or higher, and use native ISO's only ( 100 - 200- 400 etc )

If light levels are high, then lower your ISO, BUT try to keep your shutter speed at least 1/800sec. As you stated, birds normally give you a nano second to get the shot. Cleaning noise in PP afterwards is preferable to a blurry shot due to a slow shutter speed..........

IMAGE: http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1280/4696496951_9e30f27f7a_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/ianhatch/469649​6951/  (external link)
Harris Hawk (external link) by ian hatch (external link), on Flickr

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / :D Fuji X Pro1 / XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

sponsored links

4,969 views & 0 likes for this thread
Will my 7d do this
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.