Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 May 2012 (Wednesday) 18:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5Dc to complement my 7D

noahcomet
382 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 02, 2012 18:12 |  #1

I know this thread has (likely) been done to death---I just wanted to share my 2cents.

I picked up a 5Dc---they've gotten very cheap now that the market's saturated with 5D2s!---and I'm loving it.

Most of my photography has been wildlife stuff, using the 7D with the 400 5.6L. But I've also enjoyed using my 35L with 7D, and have gotten some nice portraits with that combo. After experimenting with a 1Ds classic a few months back, I decided I'd like to have a full frame body to take some of the strain off the 7D and to help me get more FL mileage out of my lenses.

Holy crap is the 35L+5D an amazing combo! I know I'm losing about 5mp using the 5d instead of the 7d, but the pictures from this body are just so beautiful---I wish I could explain the difference (and I'm sure other people already have): smoother, somehow more multidimensional.... And of course, without the crop factor, the 35L goes from being a standard lens to a nice wide one, with a tremendous DoF range.

There's no way I'd get rid of the 7D---it's an awesome camera, and when I need speed and reach, that's what I'm grabbing. But to anyone considering making the same purchase, I strongly urge you to do it! 5Ds are routinely selling for $800 now, and I bet I could have nabbed mine for 750 if I'd bargained hard.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/noahcomet/

sponsored links
jcothron
Goldmember
3,349 posts
Gallery: 364 photos
Joined Nov 2008

May 02, 2012 18:17 |  #2

I still use mine, even though I have the Mk II. I certainly won't be selling it I don't think. It's worth more to me to keep it for what you can get for it on the market these days.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|
Instagram (external link)

noahcomet
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 02, 2012 18:24 |  #3

That's interesting. I've heard from people who have the mk2 who say that (while they LOVE the mk2 for a whole lot of reasons) the pictures from the 5Dc are just qualitatively different from any other body they've used (with the exception of the 1Ds classic), and they hang onto it. I'm definitely still in the honeymoon phase with this body, but I'm beginning to see what they mean.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 02, 2012 18:53 |  #4

i shoot with a 7D and 5Dc, I've thought of "upgrading" (most people here call it an upgrade) to the 5D2, but am in no hurry. I like the IQ of the 5Dc too much to do anything soon.

jcothron
Goldmember
3,349 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 02, 2012 18:57 |  #5

rick_reno wrote in post #14369172 (external link)
i shoot with a 7D and 5Dc, I've thought of "upgrading" (most people here call it an upgrade) to the 5D2, but am in no hurry. I like the IQ of the 5Dc too much to do anything soon.

You get more resolution obviously, but unless you're an extreme pixel peeper I'm not sure there is a huge difference in IQ. I bought it more than anything else to have two FF bodies :)

I admit the Mk III is intriguing to me. Not due to IQ but I'd like to have the AF system it has, as well as the FPS. I've thought about it many times and I doubt I'll ever buy a crop frame, despite the extra "reach" you sort of get.

John

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,114 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

May 02, 2012 19:40 |  #6

noahcomet wrote in post #14369013 (external link)
That's interesting. I've heard from people who have the mk2 who say that (while they LOVE the mk2 for a whole lot of reasons) the pictures from the 5Dc are just qualitatively different from any other body they've used (with the exception of the 1Ds classic), and they hang onto it. I'm definitely still in the honeymoon phase with this body, but I'm beginning to see what they mean.

I agree with this as well, I picked up a 5Dc to be a backup to my 1D4 due to this very reasoning, on all accounts.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 02, 2012 19:52 |  #7

TeamSpeed wrote in post #14369425 (external link)
I agree with this as well, I picked up a 5Dc to be a backup to my 1D4 due to this very reasoning, on all accounts.

See I contemplate selling my 1Ds all the time. It's just so darn slow.... I took 4 snapshots last night and it's still writing...

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

noahcomet
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 02, 2012 22:03 |  #8

:) And that's the thing. I don't think I could get by with the sluggish to focus and write 5Dc for wildlife. But for still subjects, it's so awesome. Different bodies for different jobs. I know I'm not saying anything new here---but it's new for me.

jcothron
Goldmember
3,349 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 02, 2012 22:05 |  #9

noahcomet wrote in post #14370249 (external link)
:) And that's the thing. I don't think I could get by with the sluggish to focus and write 5Dc for wildlife. But for still subjects, it's so awesome. Different bodies for different jobs. I know I'm not saying anything new here---but it's new for me.

it's certainly not a wildlife camera, although I've done some decent bird photography with it, but if you're seriously into wildlife it's not the choice. Neither is the 5D MkII, the Mk III changes that a little bit.

John

sponsored links

1,385 views & 0 likes for this thread
5Dc to complement my 7D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.