Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 03 May 2012 (Thursday) 09:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My First Engagement Shoot

CosmoKid
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Joined May 2009

May 03, 2012 12:07 |  #16

I'm assuming these were done for friends. Just keep shooting and keep studying how to shoot portraits.

A lot of people in your position worry so much about getting enough shots that they are just constantly shooting so they have a ton of photos but not a ton of good ones.

A shoot like this you need to go to the location, even if its just your first time and you're with the couple, and look for light. You have to be able to scan your surroundings and understand where the good light it and how to make it work to your advantage. You have to be able to see where and how to place your couples to take advantage of this light.

Every shoot I go on my couples always comment how they can see my brain working because as we walk around I am constantly scanning my scene to see how it can work for me.

Dont just go to a location and fire away. Place your couple where you want them. It doesnt mean the shot needs to be set up. If I have good light in a walking path I might start them 20' away in bad light and not start shooting until they walk to where I want them to be.

Joe- 2 bodies, L 2.8 zoom trilogy and a couple of primes
iRocktheShot.com (external link) - Portfolio (external link)

Gear/Feedback
Facebook "Fan" Page (external link) -

sponsored links
whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 03, 2012 12:08 |  #17

As someone that is going to attempt to be engaged in the next two weeks, I'll be looking for a photographer to snap some engagement photos. If mine came out like these, I would ask for my money back. Not trying to be rude when I say that, but they are all way over processed and they are OOF as well.

William | Fuji X-E1 | Fuji X100S | Flickr (external link)

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 03, 2012 12:08 |  #18

KA | Photography wrote in post #14373250 (external link)
Honestly, they loved them.
Like I said I took 400~ shots and about 80 of them came out the best. I've never favored in portrait photography but I figured I'd give it a try with this couple.

Oh, and I did not use any type of flash for these photos. All natural sunset lighting. (besides LR4)

If they loved them, I guess you've accomplished the task. However, I agree that there is room for improvement (especially with focusing), whether you do portrait photography or not.

Best of luck to you! Keep shooting! :D

Hiep Bui Photography | Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 03, 2012 12:09 |  #19

KA | Photography wrote in post #14373250 (external link)
Honestly, they loved them.
Like I said I took 400~ shots and about 80 of them came out the best. I've never favored in portrait photography but I figured I'd give it a try with this couple.

Oh, and I did not use any type of flash for these photos. All natural sunset lighting. (besides LR4)

Well for the lighting you were in, you needed to use flash or compose completely differently.

If that's how my engagement photos came out, I certainly wouldn't have used the same person to shoot my wedding, and I would have had the engagement shots redone by someone else.

Gear List

CosmoKid
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Joined May 2009

May 03, 2012 12:10 |  #20

also, number your photos here and people can be more specific with the C&C

Joe- 2 bodies, L 2.8 zoom trilogy and a couple of primes
iRocktheShot.com (external link) - Portfolio (external link)

Gear/Feedback
Facebook "Fan" Page (external link) -

KA ­ | ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
428 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 03, 2012 12:15 |  #21

The way it went down, was we parked in the park and just walked all over the park. It took about an hour and a half to go from trail to lake to trail to park, etc. I did some candid shots when they weren't expecting it and also told them to do this and pose here, etc.

I am however, investing in a flash soon.
I do appreciate the CC folks, I guess it just takes practice, and eventually practice makes perfect.

T2i Gripped | EF-S 18-55mm IS II | EF 75-300mm III | EF 50mm II | Sigma 70-300mm APO DG zoom/macro lens | FujiFilm S2950 P&S | Photoshop CS5 | Lightroom 4 | www.facebook.com/kylea​mbrosephotography (external link) | ambrosefotos.blogspot.​com (external link)

12Rock
635 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2010

May 03, 2012 12:29 as a reply to  @ KA | Photography's post |  #22

Most of these pictures are out of focus & lighting is off . Sorry

spesmeadeus
987 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 03, 2012 15:26 |  #23

I have to chime in with a similar tone here. These really missed the mark, if you have lenses that auto focus then you should use it. The processing is all over the map and frankly the processing isn't very romantic or interesting its actually unflattering. I think most of your pictures could use some greater depth of field, the backgrounds are too visible for me. I recently wrote a blog post about taking portraits (external link) and even at f/4 with the right selection of focal length you can get a nice blur, check it out maybe you will get something out of it.

Keep learning and keep shooting but I would say you are not quite ready to charge people yet, it would probably hurt you in the long run charging now. I remember going back to some of my old shots and asking myself how did I ever think those looked good. The joy is getting to the point where you are growing and seeing dramatic improvements.

Cheers

How does focal length affect portraits? (external link)
| Website (external link) | Blog (external link) | flickr (external link) | Gear | Facebook (external link) |

FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 03, 2012 16:36 |  #24

If i can give you a suggestion, set your camera to use the center focus point, use the 50mm, focus on the eyes, lock the focus and re compose and fire. The eyes are the most important focal point in a portrait and none of the pics you posted have that. Practice with one person using F5.6 which would give decent DOF first and then work out how much you can use to balance the parts in focus and how much is out. Then work your way up to 2 people. HTH

Feroze

KA ­ | ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
428 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 03, 2012 18:25 |  #25

Thanks for the replies.

I'll check out that portraiture blog, thanks!

T2i Gripped | EF-S 18-55mm IS II | EF 75-300mm III | EF 50mm II | Sigma 70-300mm APO DG zoom/macro lens | FujiFilm S2950 P&S | Photoshop CS5 | Lightroom 4 | www.facebook.com/kylea​mbrosephotography (external link) | ambrosefotos.blogspot.​com (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 03, 2012 23:59 |  #26

Agreed. Most of them look soft but what really kills them is the processing. Some of these are absolutely salvageable, but yeah, a lot of them are just not really there.

It's good that the couple liked them and yes, that's the most important. But there's a lot of room for improvement.

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

May 04, 2012 14:00 |  #27

^ I have to agree with Nick 100%.. The processing really kills it for me. Many of them look soft.

Good luck

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

KA ­ | ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
428 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 04, 2012 14:02 |  #28

I appreciate the replies...
I guess portraiture seems what I lack in when it comes to my photography. Just one more thing to practice on.

- I do favor in close ups, landscapes, and black & white here lately actually.

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

May 04, 2012 14:55 |  #29

Shoot what you are passionate about.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

shawncorson
335 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 04, 2012 17:40 |  #30

These have so much potential. I think just a tad more research on the lenses you're using, lighting and DOF and you will be set! Great start!

Equipment: 5D MKii / 50mm 1.8 / 70-200mm F4L / 100mm 2.8 / 430ex II (x2)
http://facebook.com/re​galrebelphoto (external link) | http://regalrebelphoto​.com (external link)

sponsored links

3,461 views & 0 likes for this thread
My First Engagement Shoot
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.