Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 May 2012 (Thursday) 20:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help! Photo session with no card!

this thread is locked
Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,322 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

May 03, 2012 22:57 |  #31

AmandaLeigh wrote in post #14376218 (external link)
.... and makes me feel dumb.

You are dumb.... but so is everyone else in this thread. We have all done exactly the same thing, be it memory cards, batteries, or any number of other important items. Once the initial "Doh" passes you will shake your head and laugh about it.

I once hiked up a big hill with a full pack of kit including lenses, camera, tripod, etc to shoot some landscape shots. When I got there I realised I had taken the tripod quick release plate off my camera two days before and left it in the cupboard. I beat myself with the tripod all the way back home.

Glad to hear it wasn't a paid shoot and glad the client is fine with it. Pretty soon checking your kit will become second nature. Until it does it may be helpful to produce a list of every piece of photo kit you have. On the evening before the shoot go through the list and decide if you will need that item for the next day's shoot. If so add it to the bag so it is ready in the morning.

Oh yea, if you don't already, get into the habit of putting batteries on to charge as soon as you get home from a shoot. Realising, as you are about to leave the house, that you forgot to charge a battery is another classic.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

sponsored links
tohara
417 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 03, 2012 23:01 |  #32

Regardless of the replies in this thread the fact is that you made a mistake, you made an assumption that they would be saved, your assumption was wrong. You have to deal with it. There would have been plenty of indications during the shoot that there were no photos saved i.e not being able to review them, having a constant reminder of there being no SD card in the camera every time you took a photo.

This has nothing to do with your level of expertise or ability to use a camera. However the signs were obvious and you ignored them.

You've learnt an important lesson. That is the main thing.

Also this is a forum, do not put your own tone into the words you read. Sarcasm is a subjective thing.

500px (external link)
Sony A7r | Leica M6 Titanium | Ricoh GR1 | Nikon FM2 | Pink Lomo Sprocket Rocket
Zeiss 55mm f1.8 | Leica 35mm f2 Summicron ASPH | Polaroid Cool Cams (external link)

AmandaLeigh
THREAD ­ STARTER
223 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 03, 2012 23:06 |  #33

Dan Marchant wrote in post #14376694 (external link)
You are dumb.... but so is everyone else in this thread. We have all done exactly the same thing, be it memory cards, batteries, or any number of other important items. Once the initial "Doh" passes you will shake your head and laugh about it.

I once hiked up a big hill with a full pack of kit including lenses, camera, tripod, etc to shoot some landscape shots. When I got there I realised I had taken the tripod quick release plate off my camera two days before and left it in the cupboard. I beat myself with the tripod all the way back home.

Glad to hear it wasn't a paid shoot and glad the client is fine with it. Pretty soon checking your kit will become second nature. Until it does it may be helpful to produce a list of every piece of photo kit you have. On the evening before the shoot go through the list and decide if you will need that item for the next day's shoot. If so add it to the bag so it is ready in the morning.

Oh yea, if you don't already, get into the habit of putting batteries on to charge as soon as you get home from a shoot. Realising, as you are about to leave the house, that you forgot to charge a battery is another classic.

I already make sure I have the battery charging the night before, as well as everything ready to go that I will need. This is the first time I've forgotten anything.

I own a Canon EOS Rebel T3i. 50mm lens and 55-250mm lens. Canon rocks!
Amanda Leigh Photography
http://amandaleighphot​os.weebly.com/ (external link)

AmandaLeigh
THREAD ­ STARTER
223 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 03, 2012 23:08 |  #34

tohara wrote in post #14376710 (external link)
Regardless of the replies in this thread the fact is that you made a mistake, you made an assumption that they would be saved, your assumption was wrong. You have to deal with it. There would have been plenty of indications during the shoot that there were no photos saved i.e not being able to review them, having a constant reminder of there being no SD card in the camera every time you took a photo.

This has nothing to do with your level of expertise or ability to use a camera. However the signs were obvious and you ignored them.

You've learnt an important lesson. That is the main thing.

Also this is a forum, do not put your own tone into the words you read. Sarcasm is a subjective thing.

I realize that. I ignored them because I didn't know that DSLR's had no internal memory, and although I did make the connection that I couldn't view them was related to them not being saved, I wasn't sure. Which is why I asked on here.

I own a Canon EOS Rebel T3i. 50mm lens and 55-250mm lens. Canon rocks!
Amanda Leigh Photography
http://amandaleighphot​os.weebly.com/ (external link)

Black ­ Mesa ­ Images
339 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 03, 2012 23:09 as a reply to  @ tohara's post |  #35

This thread brings the funnay:mrgreen:

Instagram (external link)
Black Mesa Images on Facebook (external link)
Black Mesa Images Blog and Photography (external link)
Twitter (external link)

madjack
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Jul 2006

May 03, 2012 23:11 as a reply to  @ tohara's post |  #36

Amanda I personally have never heard of a camera with internal memory, so when I read your post I spit beer half way across the room. But don't take it to heart. You have learned a lesson early and for sure will never make it again.

No harm was done. You didn't lose a client, all is well. I looked a your website and you take great photos. So, heed the advice you got about setting your camera to let you know when you don't have a card in it and get on with enjoying your camera.

Good Luck!

Canon 5D Mk IV | Canon 5D Mk II | Canon 7D | Canon 30D
Canon EF 16-35L IS | Canon EF 24-105L IS | Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 IS II | Canon EF 100-400L IS II | Canon EF 50mm-f/1.8
Canon EF-S 17-85 IS | Canon EF-S 18-55 | Canon EF 70-300 IS | RRS TVC 34L Tripod | RRS BH-55 Ballhead

www.pva.org (external link)

Daship
765 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 04, 2012 01:01 |  #37

Face, desk, face, desk, face, desk.

Dennis0018
73 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 04, 2012 02:30 |  #38

sorry to hear that. one mistake can let you learn one more thing

http://www.facebook.co​m/Capturesp (external link)
500D/5d2/1dx/10-22mm/8-15mm/24-105mm L/100mm L/70-200mm L/Metz 50/Metz 58 -1/Metz 58-2

Chris
Goldmember
4,123 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2006

May 04, 2012 07:39 |  #39

Amanda, about 5 years ago I was really excited about a new 50 1.4 that I purchased from B&H. My daughter was in a very large performance and I couldn't wait to try out this new lens at the dress rehersal. I set the camera bag on the trunk lid of my car, opened it and mounted the lens to my XT. Then I went back in to my car to get something else. Since I was running a little late, I quickly went back to the rear of the car and grabbed the bag and swung it over my shoulder. The camera with the brand new lens went flying out of my bag (fortunately my 70-200 stayed put) and hit the pavement. It only broke the filter and the lens was ok but the prism inside the camera was also knocked out of place.

You can bet I always double check my bags before picking them up now. I'm sure it will be the same for you with memory cards. And I understand your thought about internal memory. I had a point and shoot that stored some quantity of images without a memory card installed.

Chris

70D | 24-70 2.8 | 400 5.6 | 580 EXII | 2X Yongnuo 622C |

Chris
Goldmember
4,123 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2006

May 04, 2012 07:47 |  #40

On another note, I was shooting with a buddy at the Botanical Gardens a few years back, and he was trying out a new macro lens. He was down on the ground looking for interesting angles to shoot at and was just having the best time discovering what this new lens could do. He probably snapped off 20-30 shots before he discovered that he hadn't installed the memory card and his camera was not set to notify him that it was missing. I still enjoy teasing him about that one.

Chris

70D | 24-70 2.8 | 400 5.6 | 580 EXII | 2X Yongnuo 622C |

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 04, 2012 07:59 as a reply to  @ Chris's post |  #41

I've done similar things. The good news is that you'll likely never do it again!

I ended up creating a checklist years ago for location work with particular emphasis on those things, that if they were missing we wouldn't be able to work. Some things, you can always find a workaround. Others, you just can't.

For the *really* important, irreplaceable items: Two is one, one is none is a good philosophy.

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,157 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 04, 2012 08:14 |  #42

Amanda, You have learned something important; Always make sure there is a memory card! :) (And if there is none, Walmart is selling 8 Gigabyte PNY SDHC's for $16; pretty quick to stop and buy one on the way to a shoot)

There is also a skill you need to learn from this; Being able to laugh at yourself. When we mess up, its a big boost back up if we can laugh at ourselves, then smile and say "Well, I learned something today!", remember the lesson, and keep on going!

And to the rest of the folks here, it might seem slightly comical to you and I, but we probably looked much, much more stupid when we started; how would you like it if people started laughing in your face? Everyone has to start somewhere!

Good luck on your photographic journey!

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

chadci
150 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 04, 2012 08:37 |  #43

CameraClicker wrote in post #14378063 (external link)
Amanda, You have learned something important; Always make sure there is a memory card! :) (And if there is none, Walmart is selling 8 Gigabyte PNY SDHC's for $16; pretty quick to stop and buy one on the way to a shoot)

There is also a skill you need to learn from this; Being able to laugh at yourself. When we mess up, its a big boost back up if we can laugh at ourselves, then smile and say "Well, I learned something today!", remember the lesson, and keep on going!

And to the rest of the folks here, it might seem slightly comical to you and I, but we probably looked much, much more stupid when we started; how would you like it if people started laughing in your face? Everyone has to start somewhere!

Good luck on your photographic journey!

Yes, get a couple of cards and keep them with you at all times. Also, first thing post shoot, get the cards imported to at least 1 place, if not more than one. That way the files will always be safe. I shoot with 2 cameras so I take the images from each card and put them into a folder. From the folder I import into Lightroom and then to Smugmug.

Also, it's a good idea to format your SD cards each time you take them out and put them back into your camera.

As for cameras with internal memory. I had an older Canon point and shoot and it had enough memory for maybe 5 pictures.

D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,157 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 04, 2012 08:45 |  #44

chadci wrote in post #14378121 (external link)
Also, it's a good idea to format your SD cards each time you take them out and put them back into your camera.
Warning: This will erase your data on that card. Only do this once you have the photos backed up and you are ready to erase the card!

After the warning is in, That is another great point! ;) Helps keep the cards nice and tidy and free of corrupted files, etc.

Also, always "Safely Remove Hardware" before taking the card out of the computer.

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 04, 2012 08:45 |  #45

What is the difference between intelligence and stupidity?

One learns from mistakes and improves, the other doesn't.

Now that you've been shocked and embarrassed is a great time to sit down and start thinking of all the mistakes you have made in the past, and how you can avoid them. Then continue the process and dream up all the mistakes you think you could make, and figure out how you can avoid them. If something goes wrong, how can you fix it?

It is a great exercise for basically anything in life.

Personally I still need to get a spare battery to go with my gear, and I want to get at least two spare SD cards that get stored in different parts of my gear bag. (That way I can't for some reason take the pack of cards out of my bag and forget to put them back. Three cheers for redundancy.)

Learn, improve, ignore any idiot who chooses to laugh at you instead of helping you.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

sponsored links

11,507 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help! Photo session with no card!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.