Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 08 May 2012 (Tuesday) 14:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Red blown out number in LR

weegee
486 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 08, 2012 14:54 |  #1

I've seen some comment that 240 on the red scale is about the limit of being blown out. LR uses a different method, percentages. Does anyone know the equivalent. I did some simple math 240/255 to get 94%, but I'm not a tech head when it comes to this, so not sure if it's as simple as that.

My Online Gallery: http://fotoluigi.zenfo​lio.com/ (external link)
Elan II, 5D3, 17-40L f/4, 24-105L f/4, 70-200L f/4, 85 f/1.8, 50 f/1.8

sponsored links
René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 12, 2012 06:57 |  #2

LR uses MelissaRGB internally, so unless you are softproofing in LR4, the clipping warning will be baed on that.

http://www.getcolorman​aged.com …management/clip​warninglr/ (external link)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,482 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 12, 2012 08:39 |  #3

René Damkot wrote in post #14420069 (external link)
LR uses MelissaRGB internally, so unless you are softproofing in LR4, the clipping warning will be baed on that.

And if you are softproofing the numbers will change to 0-255 values. 250 @ sRGB us a better white point than 240.

Elie / אלי

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,293 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

May 12, 2012 09:08 |  #4

René Damkot wrote in post #14420069 (external link)

"Lightroom uses MelissaRGB internally (ProPhoto RGB with sRGB Tone Response Curve)."...head HURTS! :cry:

Can someone turn that statement into something that a 6th grader can understand?!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,482 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 12, 2012 11:25 |  #5

Wilt wrote in post #14420417 (external link)
"Lightroom uses MelissaRGB internally (ProPhoto RGB with sRGB Tone Response Curve)."...head HURTS! :cry:

Can someone turn that statement into something that a 6th grader can understand?!

In order to retain the maximum color range the camera can capture, LR does all its editing in the widest color space, ProPhoto RGB. However, working color space profiles usually incorporate a tone curve for gamma correction. ProPhoto has a gamma 1.8 curve. But one of the advantages of Raw processing is that the editing can be done with the tonal values still in the linear relationships in which the sensor captured them. So Adobe created a space called Melissa RGB with ProPhoto's gamut but without the tone curve.

However, there is one little problem. A linear image is very dark and flat. If that image were displayed a lot of people would be very upset. So LR applies a tone curve to the display data sent to the monitor, just before converting it to your monitor space. The histogram is also based on that gamma corrected data. The tone curve that is used is borrowed from sRGB which uses a curve that is sort of gamma 2.2 but not exactly (in the darkest shadows it is linear, 1.0, and at the top it is 2.4, but most of its length has the 2.2 curve.) So we get ProPhoto primaries and the sRGB TRC.

Elie / אלי

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,293 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

May 12, 2012 11:33 |  #6

Thank you, Elie! ( am nevertheless glad that my reading comprehension is better than a 6th grader!)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

weegee
THREAD ­ STARTER
486 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 13, 2012 02:10 |  #7

hmmmm. Maybe I asked the wrong question then.

Is there a way to tell you are over exposed to blown out levels in LR3? Can you read one of the RGB percentage values or anything else to give you an indication?

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,482 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 13, 2012 06:14 |  #8

weegee wrote in post #14423673 (external link)
hmmmm. Maybe I asked the wrong question then.

Is there a way to tell you are over exposed to blown out levels in LR3? Can you read one of the RGB percentage values or anything else to give you an indication?

Not exactly, only approximately. As said above, LR works in a wide gamut space. When you export you will most likely export to a medium (Adobe RGB) or narrow (sRGB) space. Think of it like a ball-park. The same hit will drop in for a single in ProPhoto Stadium, be off the wall for a double in Adobe Stadium and out of the park in sRGB. (Except in our game home runs are a bad thing and doubles are undesirable.) A tone that is 240 in LR might become 248 or 253 in sRGB, depending on the color. The problem is there are no simple formulas for determining how much the shift will be because the distances from the (grey) center of each space to the red, green or blue primaries that define the limits of the gamuts are very different. In the illustration below the difference between ProPhoto RGB and sRGB in the green direction is huge and in the red direction sRGB and Adobe RGB are virtually identical and the difference from ProPhoto RGB is smaller. That means that Red 240 (94%) in LR might be Red 245 in sRGB, although Green 240 would be clipped in sRGB.

That is one off the reasons why softproofing in LR4 is so welcome. In LR3 the best advice is to leave some head-room above your white point, how much exactly is impossible to say. I always used to set the white point at around 96% and if it was important to check the histogram of the rendered image in a pixel editor and if necessary do a levels adjustment.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Elie / אלי

weegee
THREAD ­ STARTER
486 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 13, 2012 11:11 |  #9

ah ha. OK, now I understand.

So with the soft proofing on LR4 as you convert it to SRGB or Adobe RGB, you can then read the RGB values on the 255 scale and make sure you're capping at 240?

I guess the problem is like you said you don't know what the new numbers will be after the conversion, so you might have to go back and forth a couple times.

sponsored links

1,826 views & 0 likes for this thread
Red blown out number in LR
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.