Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 09 May 2012 (Wednesday) 07:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

When hiring a 2nd shooter

rhommel
187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 09, 2012 07:02 |  #1

Hey guys,

When you guys hire a 2nd photographer for your weddings, do you guys usually hire someone with the same camera brand or it doesn't matter?

I am a Canon guy, and I recently hired a 2nd photographer who shoots Nikon for a wedding, we did the engagement shoot recently to test him out and everything is good. Composition/exposure/t​echnical stuff is there, i have no problems. What I notice though is that the output is totally different when it comes to the overall colors.

I try to make all the photos generally look the same. I do have to work extra on his photos to make it consistent with mine.

what's your take on this?

Don't Click This (external link)

sponsored links
siddr20
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 09, 2012 08:40 |  #2

Fair few people use http://www.smugmug.com​/ (external link)

www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)http://www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)

Panoz
195 posts
Joined Feb 2012

May 09, 2012 08:43 as a reply to  @ siddr20's post |  #3

The brand of camera won't matter, his camera settings and ability to use fill flash will.

Even larger issue: have the 2nd shooter sign a contract that assigns the ownership and copyright of all his images to you. If you can, supply your 2nd shooter with all the memory cards to use and get them back at the end of the event. Do NOT allow them to take photos for themselves, it can (and will) cloud the legal ownership issue.

Canon G12, Canon 5D MkII, Canon 24-105 L, Sigma 16mm fisheye

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 09, 2012 08:58 |  #4

rhommel wrote in post #14403821 (external link)
Hey guys,

When you guys hire a 2nd photographer for your weddings, do you guys usually hire someone with the same camera brand or it doesn't matter?

I am a Canon guy, and I recently hired a 2nd photographer who shoots Nikon for a wedding, we did the engagement shoot recently to test him out and everything is good. Composition/exposure/t​echnical stuff is there, i have no problems. What I notice though is that the output is totally different when it comes to the overall colors.

I try to make all the photos generally look the same. I do have to work extra on his photos to make it consistent with mine.

what's your take on this?

All else equal, sure, the same camera brand, even make, would take a little guess work out of it. That said, I wouldn't really be concerned. I'd be looking at which cameras and lenses the second shooter had though. Don't want someone showing up with a Digital Rebel and kit lens, not that I couldn't shoot a wedding with that, but that's one of the indicators I would use. But if he/she takes great photos, that's really all that matters.

Panoz wrote in post #14404207 (external link)
The brand of camera won't matter, his camera settings and ability to use fill flash will.

Even larger issue: have the 2nd shooter sign a contract that assigns the ownership and copyright of all his images to you. If you can, supply your 2nd shooter with all the memory cards to use and get them back at the end of the event. Do NOT allow them to take photos for themselves, it can (and will) cloud the legal ownership issue.

I've second shot about 40 times and have never signed a contract. I own the copyrights to what I shoot and that's the final word for me. Otherwise I wouldn't work for that photographer and I would expect the same attitude from anyone shooting for me. As far as usage is concerned with regards to posting photos to market myself, that's an entirely different story. I'll give you that much. But still, it's always been a verbal/email agreement where some would tell me use it but put a link to their website. Others will tell me not to use them at all. Things like Facebook complicates matters as well.

I've shot for one photographer who wanted me to use his cards. Actually I couldn't meet up with him beforehand so I ended up using my own. He took them and sent it back to me. I could of flat out told him no way is he taking my card. But of course that's not what happened. Got my cards back safe and sound. Honor amongst photographers I suppose. However, yeah, if you want to make absolutely sure there are no kinks or surprises, like your second shooter turning out to be a major a-hole, then sure, a contract is usually a good start. I have run into zero issues, but that's b/c I'm honest to a fault. You tell me I can't use the images, and I'll never, ever use them. Period.

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

May 09, 2012 22:28 |  #5

I never signed a contract when I 2nd shot (9 years ago) and I don't make any of my 2nd shooters sign one either.

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

cpam.pix
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 09, 2012 22:54 |  #6

I know one photographer who had two different Canon models...and she gave up trying to use both because the PP requirements were very different for each of the models. She was trying to ensure the same look from each camera and couldn't make it happen. Now she shoots with only one body.

Sorry that I do not remember which bodies she used.

1D-III with stuff to stick on it:
70-200L, 28-70L, 24-105L, 300L, 50, 10-17 fish, 2.0x TC
Image editing OK, encouraged, and expected. Thank you for helping me learn!

kuraz
624 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 12, 2012 09:45 |  #7

It may be the in-camera settings that he has that might add or take away saturation (i.e. neatral, portrait, etc.). Not by my camera right now so I forgot the technical word for it but think it may be picture style or something like that. But if he has it something that is different than you that will definately make a small difference (not sure about Nikon files when shooting raw it may or may not apply this effect to it).

Besides that as long as you guys are in the exact same lighting conditions and exposed correctly is should not matter.

Gear

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 12, 2012 11:56 |  #8

I actually will only hire someone who uses Canon or is willing to learn. I provide all of my second shooters with gear so I can control the color settings and know that lens quality is similar. I've had seconds who's only gear options were old Rebels with kit lenses, but they were amazing photographers. While that combo is great in some situations, it wouldn't be very great at most weddings, especially along side a 5DII and L lens or whatever. So that's something to consider if you hire a second in the future. At the very least, check their camera settings before you begin shooting.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

kuraz
624 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 12, 2012 13:16 |  #9

PeaceFire wrote in post #14421018 (external link)
I actually will only hire someone who uses Canon or is willing to learn. I provide all of my second shooters with gear so I can control the color settings and know that lens quality is similar. I've had seconds who's only gear options were old Rebels with kit lenses, but they were amazing photographers. While that combo is great in some situations, it wouldn't be very great at most weddings, especially along side a 5DII and L lens or whatever. So that's something to consider if you hire a second in the future. At the very least, check their camera settings before you begin shooting.

And please dont forget to sync the cameras so you can have the same time tags in the photos. Will make your life a heck of alot easier in post.

Gear

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 13, 2012 11:43 |  #10

PeaceFire wrote in post #14421018 (external link)
At the very least, check their camera settings before you begin shooting.

If I had to check their camera settings before they begin shooting, I wouldn't want them second shooting for me.

And all you have to do is ask them to provide an equipment list. I wouldn't hire someone with a Drebel and kit lens as a second shooter no matter how "great" that person is.

cpam.pix
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 13, 2012 12:00 |  #11

nicksan wrote in post #14424960 (external link)
If I had to check their camera settings before they begin shooting, I wouldn't want them second shooting for me.

I think the purpose of "checking the camera settings" is to ensure both cameras are set the same.

Of course, if you looked at their camera and it was on "Green Square" and the knob was jammed and couldn't be moved...

1D-III with stuff to stick on it:
70-200L, 28-70L, 24-105L, 300L, 50, 10-17 fish, 2.0x TC
Image editing OK, encouraged, and expected. Thank you for helping me learn!

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 13, 2012 12:05 |  #12

cpam.pix wrote in post #14425037 (external link)
I think the purpose of "checking the camera settings" is to ensure both cameras are set the same.

Of course, if you looked at their camera and it was on "Green Square" and the knob was jammed and couldn't be moved...

That wasn't made clear though, but I suppose you can make sure of things like not going above a certain ISO, shutter speed used at the ceremony, etc, etc. I wouldn't expect the newbie second shooter to know every little details.

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 13, 2012 15:56 |  #13

cpam.pix wrote in post #14425037 (external link)

There is a lot more to camera settings that should be checked.

I was referring more to picture styles, color space, highlight tone priority, ensure they are shooting in RAW, etc. Because if they are set on Portrait and I'm set on Neutral, we're going to have an issue in post with getting the two sets of images to flow.

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 13, 2012 16:10 |  #14

PeaceFire wrote in post #14425936 (external link)
There is a lot more to camera settings that should be checked.

I was referring more to picture styles, color space, highlight tone priority, ensure they are shooting in RAW, etc. Because if they are set on Portrait and I'm set on Neutral, we're going to have an issue in post with getting the two sets of images to flow.

Not if you are shooting raw. The picture style only has an effect on the in camera jpg for the LCD display.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 13, 2012 16:22 |  #15

Red Tie Photography wrote in post #14425995 (external link)
Not if you are shooting raw. The picture style only has an effect on the in camera jpg for the LCD display.

When I shoot portrait sessions I only shoot JPEG. No need for RAW, really. And in that case it really does matter. And Highlight Tone does matter. In general, I just want their camera set exactly to mine in every way and take away any issues later on. And yes, like pp said, time sync EACH TIME is so important! I use the same cameras at weddings and always sync them before the wedding and by the next one they are always off again!

sponsored links

3,136 views & 0 likes for this thread
When hiring a 2nd shooter
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.