Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 09 May 2012 (Wednesday) 20:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Selling Yourself: Why do your clients pick you?

hellory
148 posts
Joined Feb 2012

May 15, 2012 10:33 |  #16

Mark1 wrote in post #14408057 (external link)
It can be all about the equipment. To the non photographer top equipment meant top gear. Why else would they have it if they are not that good.

People are often impressed that I used to own a PRS guitar. Its a $2300 guitar. Why on earth would I own it if I was not good. But the fact of the matter is I never learned more than 3 cords. I bought it as it was actually a payment/lucky hapenstance. It had nothing to do with knowing how to play.

The same with photography. If I walk in with 4 bodies and 8 lenses.... of coarse I have to be good. The truth may not even be remotley close to that fact. But nobody goes to a sales meeting and admits to being a half a$$ed photographer. They skirt tha fact and wow with gear.

But also.... A good sales man sells on themselves, not their product. They can get pictures from anybody, But they can only get you.... from you. More sales have been made of on aparent enthuasiasm than skills.

LOL! love the PRS reference. I have one too. Custom 10 top 24 fret with the bird inlay. It's beautiful. Emerald green. Sits in a case because I barely play. bought it years and years ago when I was bartending and had more money than I knew what to do with and no bills to pay. :) I guess I should try to sell it and pick up a lens or two.

My pics on SmugMug (external link)

sponsored links
Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 15, 2012 10:52 |  #17

I had a Custom 22 Soapbar in Whale blue. No Birds, Wish it had them, but they only had the Moons in the one I wanted. It ended up being an unintentional limited edition. For some reason the 22 Soapbars didnt sell, so they cut off production. As far as I have been able to find, there are way less than 500 of them. Dont know why, with the 3 P90's the thing would scream and rip your face off!!!! ..... Maybe that is why..... It was also about the time The Mark Tremontti signature model came out, that may be where everybody bought.

I sold it to buy a body, grip, battery, and a lens.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

Garry ­ Spight
203 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 15, 2012 11:28 |  #18

I let my albums do the selling most of the time I give them 2 albums to look thru and we have a talk on prices. I have a set price I want to earn in my head and I negotiate with them I always walk away with more than my bottom line

Hertfordshire Wedding Photographer - Garry Spight
Wedding Photography Hertfordshire (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 15, 2012 17:41 |  #19

Garry Spight wrote in post #14435143 (external link)
I let my albums do the selling most of the time I give them 2 albums to look thru and we have a talk on prices. I have a set price I want to earn in my head and I negotiate with them I always walk away with more than my bottom line

I'm interested as to why you have the scenario of negotiating on price? I let my albums sell themselves but my prices are fixed, I don't negotiate nor discount.

Peter

Garry ­ Spight
203 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 16, 2012 15:12 |  #20

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #14436909 (external link)
I'm interested as to why you have the scenario of negotiating on price? I let my albums sell themselves but my prices are fixed, I don't negotiate nor discount.

Why Sell for less than you have too?

If someone would pay 500 quid more why not try that first!

Your bottom line should be the figure you intend to work for normally.

if you can get more why not do it. Its a simple school of business

Hertfordshire Wedding Photographer - Garry Spight
Wedding Photography Hertfordshire (external link)

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 16, 2012 16:38 |  #21

Not only try the 500 first. But you are able to up sell. Just handing them a price and making it a take it or leave it, means they will not be giving you all the money they might because you have not given them the chance.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 16, 2012 17:31 |  #22

Mark1 wrote in post #14442050 (external link)
Not only try the 500 first. But you are able to up sell. Just handing them a price and making it a take it or leave it, means they will not be giving you all the money they might because you have not given them the chance.

All my pricing is available upfront. People don't meet/enquire if they can't afford them. As for not taking all that one from the situation, clients appreciate the openness and transparency in my case which actually is a big WOM factor. No hidden prices, no selling techniques. Works a treat.

I guess also for me, morally, trying to get the absolute maximum out of everyone who walks through the door isn't how I operate.

Peter

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 16, 2012 17:53 |  #23

Its not about getting the maximum so much as giving the maximum. Nothing is hidden and no deceptive techniques. (one price and done is technicaly a selling technique). Its "We can do X... but if you like we can add Y". Wether Y is a leather cover to the album, extra pages, aditional location, additional people, what ever it may be that they want to add. Its not looking at how much you can get out of them for the session. But how much they can get out of the session with you.

sponsored links

3,498 views & 0 likes for this thread
Selling Yourself: Why do your clients pick you?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.